• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

I find Scrum stand up meetings humiliating

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It's not you but you're stand ups are being done wrong, for so many reasons. Let me know if your company needs help in that area - my rates are very reasonable

Comment

To come back to the article that criticies Agile.

The key principle of Agile:

Our highest priority is to satisfy the customer
      through early and continuous delivery
      of valuable software.
      Principles behind the Agile Manifesto

The emphasis on early delivery puts pressure on developers to "deliver early". Hence things get chucked out that are full of bugs.

....and there's this

The most efficient and effective method of
      conveying information to and within a development
      team is face-to-face conversation.
      ....no no no no it isn't

The best form of communication is a written document. Civilisation is only possible because we write things down.

Was the Acropolis built via casual conversations....no...
      Last edited by BlasterBates; 23 June 2015, 19:36.
      I'm alright Jack

Comment

It makes me laugh when you have a waterfall project that's is broken down into 2 week 'sprints' then everyone runs about congratulating themselves that they are 'doing scrum', done right it can work but pretty much no where does it correctly. They read a book about it then stick to the 'rules' about meetings, get some new post-it's and away they go.

Comment

Originally posted by TheLordDave View Post
          It makes me laugh when you have a waterfall project that's is broken down into 2 week 'sprints' then everyone runs about congratulating themselves that they are 'doing scrum', done right it can work but pretty much no where does it correctly. They read a book about it then stick to the 'rules' about meetings, get some new post-it's and away they go.
          Dan North on twitter earlier today:
          .@scottwambler just long enough for a mini-waterfall with none of the benefits of in-the-moment feedback. Shame on us.
          https://twitter.com/tastapod/status/613360899345268736

Comment

Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
            The emphasis on early delivery puts pressure on developers to "deliver early". Hence things get chucked out that are full of bugs.
            Right... but you'll also notice that the manifesto/principles also talks exclusively about 'working software', and 'technical excellence'.

It's hardly a flaw of 'agile' that some people cling to the buzz-words without really understanding what they are doing, in the same way it wouldn't be a flaw of the heel-toe technique that causes boy racers to wrap their car around a tree after seeing it used in a movie.

Comment

Originally posted by oliverson View Post
              Totally and utterly pointless. Been in a room with 30 team members before some offshore - took over an hour.

Nobody is really interested in what anybody else is doing, they just want to get their piece out of the way and then get on with it.

Yet another pointless methodology, supposedly agile but now an industry. We've been LEANED everybody!
              30 members of a single scrum team Once you hit 10 at most you need to split the teams up...

Ideally you then have 1 person from other teams attending the other scrum meetings. (i.e. 1 person from team a attends the team b scrum, 1 from team b attends team a's scrum)..

After all the entire point of a scrum meeting is:-

1) confirm you've done something yesterday and plan to do something today
              2) ensure people know who is struggling so people including you can offer help for those who are having problems
              merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by oliverson View Post
                Totally and utterly pointless. Been in a room with 30 team members before some offshore - took over an hour.

Nobody is really interested in what anybody else is doing, they just want to get their piece out of the way and then get on with it.

Yet another pointless methodology, supposedly agile but now an industry. We've been LEANED everybody!
                If it's taking over an hour then it's very very wrong.

In fact if the "scrum" is taking longer than 10 minutes but 15 at the most act like your mobile is vibrating and leave the area/room to take that urgent call.
                "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
                  I quite liked doing stand up meetings. If nothing else it was a chance for a bit of a break mid morning, and it did often mean that by having a short daily meeting you avoided a lot of the need for a long, painful, oh my God when will it end die die die you've said this fifty times already you ******* ******* type meeting.
                  Never a truer word

Comment

They are trying to do agile at my current contract.

But they have 1 stand up meeting for the whole dev team (10 people) who are all working on different things.

It goes fast enough, but it is pretty much a waste of time for many of us, as we are about a ton of stuff we are not working on.

Comment

Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post

Was the Acropolis built via casual conversations....no...
                      And look at the state of it!
                      Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
                      I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

Working...
                      X