• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

I find Scrum stand up meetings humiliating

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by oliverson View Post
    Not sure how you draw that conclusion. I've only mentioned the extremely bad examples.

Some are better than others but fundamentally I believe SCRUM is flawed. Actually I'd refine that by saying I fundamentally believe that Waterfall is better.
    I'd say 'horses for courses' and invest time (lots) in training if you're going Agile.
    one day at a time

Comment

Originally posted by oscarose View Post
      I'd say 'horses for courses' and invest time (lots) in training if you're going Agile.
      It's not training that's needed but a mindset shift.

Most managers don't trust their team to do the job of delivering working software, and most product owners don't know what the f*** they want.
      "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post

Most managers don't trust their team to do the job of delivering working software, and most product owners don't know what the f*** they want.
        And... training doesn't generally work - anyone who's interested in knowing their stuff can just read a few articles on their own. If it doesn't make sense (because bulltulip id published) then they will persevere until it does makes sense and they can see what is true and what isn't.

When you have to start training (unless it's complimentary to an already positive & proactive attitude), then you know your dev culture is ****ed.

Comment

Not sure how you draw that conclusion. I've only mentioned the extremely bad examples.

Some are better than others but fundamentally I believe SCRUM is flawed. Actually I'd refine that by saying I fundamentally believe that Waterfall is better.
          There are a lot of charlatans who have commoditised and destroyed the original intent of Agile (or cash-cow, as it probably should be more aptly named in it's current guise), but that doesn't mean that agility (which was the true intent behind the manifesto for Agile software development) is a bad thing. Quite the opposite, in fact.

Comment

Dude, you need to expand your horizons beyond your current experiences. There are folk who have found value in Agile thinking and development. You just have not been exposed yet. Waterfall was the methodology I practiced in software houses way back in the 1990's. Would I go back to big up front design again, endless project initiation documents, rounds of design meetings and task based project management? No, not if I could help, for 90% of projects.

I would have rather keep the unit tests, the test driven development, continuous integration, JIRA, release often, release early, the technical stuff. As DeMarco and Lister wrote back in the late 1980's our main battle is on the social side of software development correct. [Peopleware - Google it]

"Individuals and interactions over processes and tools"

We still have a long way to go.

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post

How?

Originally posted by SpontaneousOrder View Post
              And... training doesn't generally work - anyone who's interested in knowing their stuff can just read a few articles on their own. If it doesn't make sense (because bulltulip id published) then they will persevere until it does makes sense and they can see what is true and what isn't.

When you have to start training (unless it's complimentary to an already positive & proactive attitude), then you know your dev culture is ****ed.
              Exactly the problem. A few bright sparks read a few bits and bobs and think they can transform their company to 'Agile' at the drop of a hat!
              one day at a time

Comment

Originally posted by rocktronAMP View Post
                Dude, you need to expand your horizons beyond your current experiences.o.

Talk about patronising. I think you're pretty well suited to 'agile'.

Comment

They can seem pointless but when you're stuck with X, you are more likely to remember "oh, Y was working on X" - in even a smallish dev team it can be hard to know who knows about some parts of the system.
                  Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                  I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                  Originally posted by vetran
                  Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by rocktronAMP View Post
                    task based project management?
                    All projects, are fundamentally a list of tasks. Very simply put, who does what by when is all a project is. If you don't know the answer to who is doing what by when for the tasks identified in your project ( at whatever high level you have defined the tasks ) then for me you are not managing.

In other words, irrespective of methodology, when it comes to project management it should still all boil down to this fundamental principle and therefore task based management is not something that can be avoided. To do so as a PM means you are not managing.

Comment

Originally posted by oracleslave View Post
                      All projects, are fundamentally a list of tasks. Very simply put, who does what by when is all a project is. If you don't know the answer to who is doing what by when for the tasks identified in your project ( at whatever high level you have defined the tasks ) then for me you are not managing.

In other words, irrespective of methodology, when it comes to project management it should still all boil down to this fundamental principle and therefore task based management is not something that can be avoided. To do so as a PM means you are not managing.
                      There is always a list of stories (and they are broken into tasks) - probably I am preaching to the converted already
                      Sorry for my obtuseness. I meant to say, that projects where you are told what task you should be doing.

And some project managers do become excellent Agile SCRUM masters and therefore "manage" a self-organising team very well. They take the load off the designers, developers, testers and business analysts with *managing-up* and managing across to the stakeholders / customer. They manage down well to ensure that the sprint is not interrupted by sudden and imprecise change requests.

In SCRUM, the team (or individuals) "push" tasks across the board: PENDING -> IN-PROGRESS -> TESTING -> DONE

As a developer IN-PROGRESS when I finish the developing the issue, I tell the tester to start testing, after the moving the sticky note to the TESTING bucket

In the Lean philosophy, (KANBAN) the team (or individual) "pull" tasks across the board: PENDING >- IN-PROGRESS >- TESTING >- DONE

In this mode, the tester who is twiddling her thumbs after completing a test comes to me, and asks "Rock, are you going to be finished with story 12345 anytime soon, is it ready for test?" She looking for more work to do in the project - lean supposedly encourages more proactivity, stop the assembly line if the process in broken. If I finish the story 12345 soon, the tester might have gone out for a tea break, I still push the sticky note over to TESTING for her to pick up.

A couple of years ago, I contracted in an environment where they used both: SCRUMBAN.

Comment

Working...
                      X