• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.

Daily Rate advertised but paid on an hourly basis??

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Daily Rate advertised but paid on an hourly basis??

I've just been emailed a Job spec, its for a Public Sector role, it states:

Maximum Pay Rate £500per day LTD (Please note that the candidate will be paid on an hourly basis)

8 Hours per day = 8

Hours per week = 40

Total Hours = 560.00
    I've never seen this before, is it simply just a case of ensuring one works the 8 hours per day excluding lunch break therefore 500 divided by 8 = 62.50?

Thanks

Originally posted by MasterP0 View Post
    I've just been emailed a Job spec, its for a Public Sector role, it states:

I've never seen this before, is it simply just a case of ensuring one works the 8 hours per day excluding lunch break therefore 500 divided by 8 = 62.50?

Thanks
    To me, it says you're paid hourly, and cannot exceed earning £500pd. So if your hourly rate is higher you would have to work fewer hours, if your rate was lower you could work more hours.

I can guess which they'd prefer.

Comment

Thank you TickTock

Comment

They are paying £62.50 an hour for an 8 hour day. You can work more if you want, but won't get paid. If you work less than 8 hours a day, then only bill for the hours that you worked.
        Best Forum Advisor 2014
        Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
        Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
          They are paying £62.50 an hour for an 8 hour day. You can work more if you want, but won't get paid. If you work less than 8 hours a day, then only bill for the hours that you worked.
          I wouldn't assume it's that rate per hour. It wouldn't be inconceivable the agent isn't being as clear as he thinks he is. I wouldn't be too surprised if the max is a 10 hour day if needed but a standard is 8 hours so would be less. It shouldn't be reading this but the lack of the actual hourly rate makes me suspicious.
          'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

The maths is completely wrong unless they want you to work 40 day weeks. 8 hrs a day for 5 days OR 40 hrs a week. Not 8x40=560.

When deciding whether to take this or not, do remember to factor in that you'll apparently be dealing with innumerates.
            World's Best Martini

Comment

Originally posted by v8gaz View Post
              The maths is completely wrong unless they want you to work 40 day weeks. 8 hrs a day for 5 days OR 40 hrs a week. Not 8x40=560.

When deciding whether to take this or not, do remember to factor in that you'll apparently be dealing with innumerates.
              I see nothing wrong with the maths:

8 hours a day for five days = 40 hours a week

40 hours a week for 14 week contract = 560 hours
              Best Forum Advisor 2014
              Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
              Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Public Sector role ==> 37.5Hrs PD

Comment

Originally posted by WilsonPiper72 View Post
                  This. Im surprised people have missed it.

Wouldnt touch PS contract with a barge pole personally.
                  I couldn't give two fornicators! Yes, really!

Comment

Originally posted by WilsonPiper72 View Post
                    Wilson and Bolshie I copied and pasted directly from the JD. Are you both saying that in your experience it is always/in practice 37.5 and not 40 hours per week?

Comment

Working...
                    X