• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Hunting for next contract before the current one ends

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hunting for next contract before the current one ends

When the extension to the current contract is uncertain, and when hunting for next contract before the current one ends, do you mention the current client name in the resume?

Concerns:

(1) Since agencies have their network, the resume may end up with the current agency, and this may spoil the chances of contract extension.

(2) If the agency you are approaching has links with the current client, the agency may approach the client for replacing the role with its candidate.

Neither concern is valid.

In fact I will state on LinkedIn that I'm available from XXXX. This lets the current agency/client know that I'm not prepared to wait until the last day for the extension to appear.

Then you'll either get an extension or a new contract.

Or if you are confident that an extension will appear, no nothing and turn up the day after contract end.

Just make sure that they have the means to pay you.
    "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
    - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Originally posted by cojak View Post

In fact I will state on LinkedIn that I'm available from XXXX. This lets the current agency/client know that I'm not prepared to wait until the last day for the extension to appear.

Or if you are confident that an extension will appear, no nothing and turn up the day after contract end.

Like ... why do not have a like button lol?

Comment

I only start looking with a month to go. At the same time I prod the agency to ask the question about an extension.

with 3 weeks to go I start mentioning handover tasks, dropping into conversation with key permies that I finish in a few weeks etc.

So posting on LinkedIn and having current client on my CV is perfectly fine as it might light a fire under them to sort an extension.

Comment

If I am willing to continue at the same client at the same rate, with about 4 weeks left on the contract, I would send an email to the PM listing my current activities and plans to handover with the assumption the contract will not be extended as I haven't heard from my agency.

If I am looking for a raise, I would send an email to my agency, mentioning that my rate for next contract (whether it extends or not) is current rate + £XXX. And that I am happy to either continue with the current client at the new rate or find a new client.

Comment

Originally posted by cojak View Post

Absolutely, I took the programme manager aside a week ago to tell him straight up I was courting other offers and whoever gets me something to sign first wins.

Obviously it helps if you know they 'need' you.

Comment

Originally posted by Ashwin2007 View Post
              When the extension to the current contract is uncertain, and when hunting for next contract before the current one ends, do you mention the current client name in the resume?

Concerns:

(1) Since agencies have their network, the resume may end up with the current agency, and this may spoil the chances of contract extension.

(2) If the agency you are approaching has links with the current client, the agency may approach the client for replacing the role with its candidate.
              I was never paranoid enough to worry about ending one contract and having a break before starting the next one.

Seems a very permie mindset to me all these contractors who must have something lined up in case they dont get extended.

I think more and more people will find that's going to become very difficult in the near future.
              I couldn't give two fornicators! Yes, really!

Comment

Originally posted by BolshieBastard View Post
                I was never paranoid enough to worry about ending one contract and having a break before starting the next one.

Seems a very permie mindset to me all these contractors who must have something lined up in case they don't get extended.

I think more and more people will find that's going to become very difficult in the near future.
                We need a graph that maps how much you should be concerned versus how big your warchest is

Comment

Originally posted by jmo21 View Post
                  We need a graph that maps how much you should be concerned versus how big your warchest is
                  +1 to that. My focus has definitely changed in the last 3 gigs. I used to get very nervous about the next gig and dreaded bench time. I'm so laid back about it in the last couple of weeks of the current gig nowadays it's not true. I almost relish a couple of weeks off now. If it happens it happens. If not I get a bit of a break.
                  'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Working...
                  X