• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

RBS Bans Contractors From Using Car Park

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DVLA do it too.

Comment

Originally posted by BolshieBastard View Post
      Ive not done other contractors a favour?

Says the man who wanted to 'opt in' but caved when the agent said 'you opt out else no job.'

That sort of not helping contractors you mean?

You really need to wind your neck in. You're not some great sage of the forum.

I keep reading here how people should act more like a business yet many of them spout this act like permies.

Go tell your workman he has to park his van 10 - 15 minute walk from your gaff and see how many turn up to do the job.

Talking of 'jobs,' how pathetic is it when you keep pulling people for saying 'job' and then you spout utter childish drivel about having a 'gig.'

Really, you need to take a very strong dose of your own medicine.
      Got out of the wrong side of the bed today Bolshie?
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Isn't it all down to the nature of the job? Plumber or Electrician needs access to tools and hence they need closer access to their vans.

IT contractors don't need access to their cars or onsite parking unless they are disabled.

Having said that, if one wants to bring their attitude into the parking equation, here's a question -> Are you COTBAC?

Comment

I don't know why people here keep thinking tradesmen are treated totally differently in these things - most of them need the work as much as we do and will put up with awkward customers just like we do.

I've also done a lot of work on building sites and, Jesus - you think an office is bad? I've been kicked off car parks due to heavy plant requirements only to find (along with all the white van types) that all the local roads have 'No site contractor parking' signs.

And yes, Bokshie, I've watched builders have to take a 20 minute walk to grab something they've forgotten.

I've also seen an entire surfacing team kicked off site because one lad was caught without his hard hat twice.

Comment

i remember one short gig covering a premium supermarket chain - we had to park the furthest point in the car park as the car park was for customers. So I would park as near as possible & buy a chocolate bar before starting the job. .

Comment

Vodafone in Newbury have been doing this for years. I did a contract there years ago when we were allowed to park in a separate car park next to the site, but then when asked back more recently, this had been closed and non permanent resource had to park a few miles away and get a free bus in.

It was a major PITA for me having to drive past the site every morning to get to the other side of Newbury and then having to get a bus back, added half an hour to the travel time and in the end was the reason I didn't lok for another contract there.

I completely understand why they did it though. Same with this place where I am now. If you're not in before 8 then you're out of luck when it comes to parking and they should be implementing a policy of perms only at the on site car park. But they won't.
              "Israel, Palestine, Cats." He Said
              "See?"

Comment

RBS has numbered parking spaces, and some permie staff have their own allocated spaces, while everyone else can book specific spaces for time slots (contractors included where I am at Gogarburn)

So instead of having a scrum to get in before 8am, staff are constantly on their parking space booking website all week trying to book spaces. You can only book a week in advance, but people can release their allocated spaces as well for specific times, allowing other people to book them.

I actually found it worked quite well (I get the train/bus now).

Comment

A large retailer in Bradford also does this. Choices are to park on the road outside (and get your car keyed or windows smashed by the locals) or park at one of their local stores 3 miles away and jump on a shuttle bus.
                  Blood in your poo

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                    Got out of the wrong side of the bed today Bolshie?
                    Nah, bliddy football! Sends me off on one all the time
                    I couldn't give two fornicators! Yes, really!

Comment

Originally posted by Sausage Surprise View Post
                      A large retailer in Bradford also does this. Choices are to park on the road outside (and get your car keyed or windows smashed by the locals) or park at one of their local stores 3 miles away and jump on a shuttle bus.
                      Yes, that lane should have been named 'Loss lane'

Comment

Working...
                      X