• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Joining IPSE+

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can I point out I hate the idea that I'm a freeloader I explicitly don't belong to IPSE as I disagree with some of their aims (as many on here know)...

If you need the insurance than IPSE+ probably provides a far better deal than you can get elsewhere. The problem is that while most people want the insurance they have no interest in representation side of things as really all they want is an easy life...
    merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by GlenW View Post
      Their insurances are good value and more than worth the joining fee, but don't expect to be treated with respect or have any of your questions answered in the forums, unless it is a sycophantic, fawning post.
      And if it's not, you are variously a freeloader, keyboard warrior, serial complainer, troublemaker or worse.

IPSE won't even recognise that there is Opt Out abuse by agencies.

Sure Mal will be along in a moment to say I am a liar but if you are really interested, the protection is good value and the savings you can make using the Advantages will pay for your membership. So you get to see who makes it up for free

Comment

As others have said, it's worth joining for the insurances but don't expect to be listened to.

I've been pretty vocally critical of IPSE on here and in all probability I won't be renewing and shall henceforth be a freeloader for a number of reasons but if you are new to contracting or are a bum-on-seat contractor then it really is a bit of a no-brainer.

Comment

Originally posted by tractor View Post
          And if it's not, you are variously a freeloader, keyboard warrior, serial complainer, troublemaker or worse.

IPSE won't even recognise that there is Opt Out abuse by agencies.

Sure Mal will be along in a moment to say I am a liar but if you are really interested, the protection is good value and the savings you can make using the Advantages will pay for your membership. So you get to see who makes it up for free
          I agree that IPSE should ideally get onto this and I've never understood why they dont kick off about this.
          Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
            I agree that IPSE should ideally get onto this and I've never understood why they dont kick off about this.
            Before Mal says it - why don't you ask over there? You're a member, so make your voice known.

The more people that ask about it, the more likely it is that they will look at it. Granted, I'll not hold my breath (not when there are pensions and mortgages to look at!), but if you don't ask over there, you won't get any answer from them.
            Best Forum Advisor 2014
            Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
            Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by malvolio View Post
              And usually the Forums are only impolite to serial complainers (complaining is fine, of course, even if it is only marginally justifiable) but who don't offer alternatives or listen to explanations (which is a waste of everyone's time).
              Q for Mal (I could ask over there, but my membership expires today and I'm still deliberating whether to renew).

Why is it only valid to make your objections known (or complain/whinge depending on your POV) if you have alternatives to offer?

TBliar: Let's invade Iraq and do for Saddam
              Objector: I don't think that's a good idea - what replaces Saddam could be even worse. At least we know what we're dealing with.
              TBliar: What do you suggest we do instead?
              Objector: Err, not invade Iraq?
              TBliar: Doing nothing is not an option!
              Last edited by mudskipper; 3 February 2015, 19:18.

Comment

Originally posted by mudskipper View Post
                Q for Mal (I could ask over there, but my membership expires today and I'm still deliberating whether to renew).

Why is it only valid to make your objections known (or complain/whinge depending on your POV) if you have alternatives to offer?

TBliar: Let's invade Iraq and do for Saddam
                Objector: I don't think that's a good idea - what replaces Saddam could be even worse. At least we know what we're dealing with.
                TBliar: What do you suggest we do instead?
                Objector: Err, not invade Iraq?
                TBliar: Doing nothing is not an option!
                Answer for MS...

Yours is a bad (in fact laughably bad) example and it's not actually what was said. However, I take the point.

Sadly, more often than not, someone says "This is a bad idea", so you not unreasonably ask why it's a bad idea and the answer is either "I don't like it" or "it could go wrong" but very rarely indeed is the answer "we should do this instead". What prompted the outburst about "freeloaders" - not something I ever said, incidentally - as much as anything, was the continued refusal by one or two to debate the point or accept the valid arguments behind the decision.

Doing nothing is always an option if you can demonstrate why doing nothing is the better approach. However faced with a government-led juggernaut like the new reporting requirements impacting our businesses or the people who have already sold Labour on the idea of an FLC, doing nothing simply isn't a viable option.
                Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Originally posted by malvolio View Post
                  Doing nothing is always an option if you can demonstrate why doing nothing is the better approach. However faced with a government-led juggernaut like the new reporting requirements impacting our businesses or the people who have already sold Labour on the idea of an FLC, doing nothing simply isn't a viable option.
                  That would be a great answer if we/you knew what IPSE are proposing, but we don't and no one will tell us.
                  I'm not even an atheist so much as I am an antitheist; I not only maintain that all religions are versions of the same untruth, but I hold that the influence of churches, and the effect of religious belief, is positively harmful. [Christopher Hitchens]

Comment

Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
                    The main reason is that BIS don't accept there is an issue and without their support it's going nowhere. IPSE continues to press BIS on the matter, but they aren't listening: until they do, or until someone takes an agency to court over the issue and wins, nothing's going to happen.

As regards the court case, IPSE will support anyone who wants to stand up and fight. So far nobody has volunteered...

And apologies to all for giving a straight answer to a straight question...
                    Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
                      Before Mal says it - why don't you ask over there? You're a member, so make your voice known.
                      Please don't....
                      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Working...
                      X