• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Switzerland contract 1100 CHF

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It's not that high. It's not bad, but it's not high.
    Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

You've got a young family haven't you? Why would you be considering a gig abroad?
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
        You've got a young family haven't you? Why would you be considering a gig abroad?
        Just wanted to see if the figure added up to be honest.... 725 on paper is worth considering at least.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
          I think you answered the question before you asked it.
          Originally posted by MaryPoppins
          I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
          Originally posted by vetran
          Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
            I think you answered the question before you asked it.
            I don't know why I didn't spot that..... It's true, it would be like going on holiday for 6 months!

Comment

hello, I am in a very similar situation, just wondering if you took the Swiss contract or not and how you are finding the cost of living etc out there?

Comment

Have gone through the process contract of CHF950 pd
                Amount of tax depends on the canton you live in and on many other factors, even how many children you have back in the UK.
                After making all the calculations I decided this was not profitable enough for me and declined teh contract (even considered camping for 3 months in the summer to save on accomodation)

Comment

Originally posted by Eirikur View Post
                  Have gone through the process contract of CHF950 pd
                  Amount of tax depends on the canton you live in and on many other factors, even how many children you have back in the UK.
                  After making all the calculations I decided this was not profitable enough for me and declined teh contract (even considered camping for 3 months in the summer to save on accomodation)
                  I can take home more working in Geneva at CHF 850 than working near London at £475, commuting Monday to Friday,staying in hotels and paying for a flight or train to kings cross.

Comment

Which canton are you going to? Remember that the Swiss systems is canton tax and income tax combined. Some cantons are lower than others.
                    I seem to remember Zurich 22%, Zug is lower, Basel city was under 30%. Bern is 35% canton tax. Geneva was not low either. There will be a an up to date list on line somewhere.

To save tax, do not tick the box for religion when you register in Switzerland. They automatically deduct church tax from you if so.

Make sure your agency will payroll you or it adds a burden of about up to 5% of your invoice if your agent does not have an office in Switzerland and you need to go through a private payroll solution!

If you are married or in an official partnership with children and your partner does not work, you pay 7% tax.

Again, check out your responsibilities for UK tax and UK residency or you will need tax equalisation. Otherwise you need to go out of the UK for a full tax year and stay out for the next one. If not, I think you can claim a double housing allowance from Switzerland if you have proof of mortgage or rental contract. (That means you are opting to be taxed on worldwide income in the UK).

Switzerland is expensive for eating out. You can gets some products for more reasonable prices in the likes of Migros. Loaf of bread up to 5 pounds, fresh vegetables and fish are way more expensive.

Get yourself a Halbtax abo train discount pass if you go. 160 CHF or so and 50% off trains. Soon pays for itself!

Comment

Richterswil in Zurich is the canton where the lowest tax band is apparently.

Comment

Working...
                      X