• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Switzerland contract 1100 CHF

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

About 725/day and next to a lake... Doesn't sound too bad for a few months....

However, seems like I will have to pay tax there rather than do it through my limited setup... What are the implications and is it worth it?

Just got an estimate for earnings. Seems I will have to pay a fair bit of tax. Based on 19000 franks a month I will end up with 14000 which is just under 10k.... Doesn't really seem worth it for the hassle. Do I then have to pay tax on it here?

Comment

Originally posted by NorthWestPerm2Contr View Post
      Just got an estimate for earnings. Seems I will have to pay a fair bit of tax. Based on 19000 franks a month I will end up with 14000 which is just under 10k.... Doesn't really seem worth it for the hassle. Do I then have to pay tax on it here?
      Nope as there is a tax treaty between here and there so once the tax is paid its paid..

Don't forget that accommodation, food and flights will also have to come out of that so it still may not be worthwhile.
      merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

If you're an IPSE member speak to their tax helpline. They're very good at this working overseas stuff.
        ǝןqqıʍ

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
          Nope as there is a tax treaty between here and there so once the tax is paid its paid..

Don't forget that accommodation, food and flights will also have to come out of that so it still may not be worthwhile.
          Part of the breakdown includes expense allowance of 1500 and 510 pension. So 10kish after that. Is pension compulsory? Can travel expenses to uk and back not be included?

Comment

Part of the breakdown includes expense allowance of 1500 and 510 pension. So 10kish after that. Is pension compulsory? Can travel expenses to uk and back not be included?
            Only the first flight in and the last flight out!

And don't forget £18 for a Jacket Potato....

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post

It might be worth rechecking that as HMRC only take into account the Swiss tax % you're paying and if the contract doesn't encompass a full financial year or you don't qualify under the SR test for relief you'll have to top it up to UK levels.
              In Scooter we trust

Comment

About 725/day and next to a lake... Doesn't sound too bad for a few months....

However, seems like I will have to pay tax there rather than do it through my limited setup... What are the implications and is it worth it?
                Close to the mountains for skiing. Yes, it's worth it - apart from that if you've never worked in Switzerland, it'll add to the richness of your life's experience. If you have kids, then you might qualify for a tax deduction, similarly for a dependent spouse. You'll have to fill in a Swiss tax return; if you're maintaining a residence back in the UK, you're entitled to an 18'000K deduction on your taxes. The amount of tax you pay (and health premiums) varies according to where you live. Use the tax calculator on comparis.ch to identify the lower tax areas. However, these are also the places with higher rents.

French speaking Switzerland is rather more pleasant to live in than the German speaking part. Excepting Basel.
                Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by stek View Post
                  Only the first flight in and the last flight out!

And don't forget £18 for a Jacket Potato....
                  Not necessarily. Well OK, the Jacket yes, but the expenses: it is HMRC who will only allow you a flight out and a flight back (because you are going to take up a "permanent" job), but you stand a good chance of claiming actual travelling expenses and subsistence against Swiss tax, if you can establish that your real home stays in the UK. But you do need a Swiss accountant.

Comment

All seems awfully complicated.... Goes to explain why the rate on offer is so high.... Not sure it's my cup of tea though I would have jumped at the opportunity about 2 years ago regardless.

Comment

Working...
                    X