• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Finding *real* contracts in IT

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by I just need to test it View Post
    And get a UK mobile phone.

Change your name (on your CV).

Arthur Harris has a certain ring to it.
    or Rolf Saville
    Best Forum Advisor 2014
    Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
    Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
      or Rolf Saville
      Adolf Glitter?
      "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

Originally posted by I just need to test it View Post
        And get a UK mobile phone.

Change your name (on your CV).

Arthur Harris has a certain ring to it.
        And use your nickname "Bomber" and fill in any gaps in your CV with "on a Jihadi holiday".

Sign off with Allahu Akbar.

(I've worked in England beside a Portugese national but she was working through IBM and not as a contractor).

Comment

There are a lot of fake adverts, but i doubt they are more than 50% of the entire volume if that.

Your location is your biggest problem. The contractor market expects fast responses with job ad, interviews and start dates often in less than 2 weeks. Agents assume that they will have to wait for you to re-locate and send your CV straight into the bin. On top of that you probably have your Portuguese phone number on your CV - agents can't be arsed calling overseas numbers unless there is severe shortage in your skill and there are no local candidates whatsoever.

The way around this if you are prepared to relocate in days is to get an UK SIM and use that number on your CV. Also get the address of a friend who lives in UK and say that you are already in UK. This illusion won't hold for long but should be enough to at least get you a call back.

My guess is that your next biggest problem is your CV. No UK experience usually means, you guessed it - CV in the bin. Omit any country specific information from your CV. Again this won't hold for long but will get your through the first hurdle. Also the way you are used to structure your CV for perm jobs has nothing to do with what the agents expect to see in a contractor CV - keep it under 3 pages (ideally 2), Name, contact details, brief introduction and list of accomplishments and key skills and employment history, all crap like personal interests and academic career at the back or out of it. All of the important information in the top half of the first page. Ask a friend who have experience in the UK contractor market to review it. No agent feedback is quite the feedback.

Once you actually get a call back from an agent you will have to learn how to deal with the weasels, this will take some time and is something you just have to go through on your own.

Hope that will help you and good luck.

Comment

While the UK sim is a good idea, when phoning, the agent will still hear the normal "different" ringtone when they phone that indicates you are abroad, so be prepared to say "I'm on holiday this week" or something.

Multiple calls from the same agent over the course of a few weeks and this cover will soon be blown.

The best solution is to actually move here. Be easily available for an interview at the drop of a hat.

Whether you are financially in that position of course is another matter.

Comment

Originally posted by jmo21 View Post
              Whether you are financially in that position of course is another matter.
              And if you are not, then forget the idea all together. Even if you manage to sign a contract i can be canned at any point leaving you out of pocket, if you don't have enough savings for at least 3 months (UK is more expensive than Portugal) then your best bet is to go perm as a start of your UK career.

Comment

Originally posted by sal View Post
                And if you are not, then forget the idea all together. Even if you manage to sign a contract i can be canned at any point leaving you out of pocket, if you don't have enough savings for at least 3 months (UK is more expensive than Portugal) then your best bet is to go perm as a start of your UK career.
                That won't make any difference. I've seen permies walked off site far quicker than any contractor.

One thing would be to look at sipgate to get a UK landline number. However unless you can get here tomorrow you really need to be in the UK..
                merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
                  That won't make any difference. I've seen permies walked off site far quicker than any contractor.

One thing would be to look at sipgate to get a UK landline number. However unless you can get here tomorrow you really need to be in the UK..
                  The difference though is that if you're permanent and been there more than a year you get to stay even if you're tulip

Contractor can be gone with a phone call's notice but... there's danger money
                  ⭐️ Gold Star Contractor

Comment

Originally posted by PerfectStorm View Post
                    The difference though is that if you're permanent and been there more than a year you get to stay even if you're tulip

Contractor can be gone with a phone call's notice but... there's danger money
                    That company merely needs better hr people
                    merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post

I'm not talking only about being walked off because you are tulip, but contracts falling through right before/after start, projects being canned and budget cuts, this almost never happens to permies, and if you pass the initial trial period the employer have to actually follow the notice period for termination unlike the contractors.

Are you telling me that the odds loosing a permie job are equal to these of a contractor role?

Comment

Working...
                      X