• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Finding *real* contracts in IT

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Finding *real* contracts in IT

Hello,

I'm in Portugal and I've been applying online (CWjobs, Reed, Indeed, Technojobs) for contract opportunities in IT in the UK, but I'm starting to think that I'm doing something wrong as I've had about zero responses from over 30 applications to jobs that fit my like a glove.

I have a really strong CV, over 8 years of high-quality experience and references from consulting. Recruiters are quite keen on recruiting me for permanent positions with identical specs to contracts, but no contract work seems to come this way.

A recruiter told me that a lot of online postings are fake, which is kind of baffling...if most of what's online is fake, how do you go to find real contract work?

And if my CV is a perfect fit for a permanent job, what can be lacking in my profile to be considered for contracts?

Thanks

Originally posted by jmng View Post
    Hello,

I'm in Portugal and I've been applying online (CWjobs, Reed, Indeed, Technojobs) for contract opportunities in IT in the UK, but I'm starting to think that I'm doing something wrong as I've had about zero responses from over 30 applications to jobs that fit my like a glove.

I have a really strong CV, over 8 years of high-quality experience and references from consulting. Recruiters are quite keen on recruiting me for permanent positions with identical specs to contracts, but no contract work seems to come this way.

A recruiter told me that a lot of online postings are fake, which is kind of baffling...if most of what's online is fake, how do you go to find real contract work?

And if my CV is a perfect fit for a permanent job, what can be lacking in my profile to be considered for contracts?

Thanks
    Are you an experienced Contractor?

Comment

I'm in Portugal
      Perhaps that?

Comment

Originally posted by jamesbrown View Post
        Perhaps that?
        Very much that.
        ǝןqqıʍ

Comment

30 tries without a hit - Not many really.

Fake adverts - they're common, they harvest CV's, call the people and try to fish for contacts if they can't find direct leads off the documents, quite a number of novices list references so it's a happy hunting ground for pimps.

If you've no contracting history - Years of experience and skill is no indicator you can work as a contractor, hold your own or cope as a contractor so you're a risk. Odds are your CV isn't set up well for contracting too, harshly put I know, but it's a harsh reality.

You're in Portugal - I'm in the UK and sometimes clients >50 miles away are nervous about the distances, you're the better part of 1,000 miles away, work that out for yourself.

Persist and you might get somewhere, but don't hold your breath.

Comment

Hello,

Thanks
            As others have said, saying you're in Portugal isnt going to help. Agents want people available to take contracts at the drop of a hat plus, any excuse to shift you out will make it harder.

Although there's such a thing as free movement in the EU, agents dont want the extra complication unless they can get you on a really low rate. speaking of which, are you pitching your rate within the role's limits?

Lots of job adverts are fake, agents use them to farm cv's to see who you've worked for and possibly contact them.

When I was on the market, I had jobs I was nailed on for but either got sifted out by a know nothing account manager or useless HR.

It is a numbers game.

Big problem is your location. Other problem is possibly your cv which isnt selling you or the rate you're asking. Id say your location is the biggest issue though.
            I couldn't give two fornicators! Yes, really!

Comment

Do you say you're in Portugal? Remove your location from your CV.

Comment

Originally posted by mudskipper View Post
                Do you say you're in Portugal? Remove your location from your CV.
                Or use a UK based location.

Comment

Do you particularly want the UK for some reason? I say that because I have seen more Portuguese contractors in Holland and Germany than in the UK. Maybe they expect to take in people from other places more than UK clients do.

Comment

And get a UK mobile phone.

Change your name (on your CV).

Arthur Harris has a certain ring to it.

Comment

Working...
                    X