• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Immediate Termination from Client without serving Notice

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by sal View Post

Only your future client can answer this, not everyone is doing thorough references check. And depends on what your last client tells them. From my experience references saying the someone took 2 days leave with little/no notice impacting deadlines and this only 4 weeks after starting the contract is a big minus.
    To cheer up the OP, references being what they are these days I'm not sure that all information would get passed through.

The bit I'm not sure about is whether the client would just communicate dates the OP was contracted or whether they would include that the contract was terminated.

Either way, prospective clients will look at the 4 weeks and ask why only 4 weeks? (hint: maybe that assignment doesn't make it onto your latest CV?)

Comment

Originally posted by muds View Post
      Can anyone of you tell me (as per IT market) will this be a big -ve on my profile when my next client does refrencing ?
      Don't give the client as a reference. Don't give the agency as a reference. That way it won't come up.

Whats the best way to come out of it ?
      If anyone asks, you had a family emergency, which unfortunately fell at an inconvenient time to the client due to their delivery deadline. You had to terminate the contract so that the client could get someone else in while you dealt with the emergency.
      Best Forum Advisor 2014
      Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
      Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post

If anyone asks, you had a family emergency, which unfortunately fell at an inconvenient time to the client due to their delivery deadline. You had to terminate the contract so that the client could get someone else in while you dealt with the emergency.
        If they pry further just give say it won't happen again because the person is dead.....

OK you can say something less drastic but death normally shuts people up.
        "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by jmo21 View Post
          Apology accepted.
          Why would I apologise for you being in the wrong and the OP not being able to explain the situation to his client?
          Originally posted by MaryPoppins
          I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
          Originally posted by vetran
          Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Yes, lesson learnt ! Difinitely !

But still trying to figure out how could i have avoided this..
            I've just re read your original post. Based on the info you've given, if you cant figure out how you could avoid this situation again, you need to sit down and have a real good think whether contracting is for you.

It appears you gave your client an ultimatum (well not even that actually!). You told your client you would be off for 2 days and wouldnt be in under any circumstances. The client told you it wasnt convenient irrespective of them canning you almost immediately.

You dont seem to understand the art of negotiation never mind taking into account project deliverables and timescales. And even then, you gave them very short notice.

You tried to play hardball with the client who then promptly bombed you out. I'd suggest you attitude during the contract also played a part in their decision to terminate based on how you've gone about things.

I suspect you're going to get bombed ot a few of your contracts if you carry on as you are. Whether you heed that is up to you but you only need to get bombed out of a few contracts to find future contracts may be very hard to come by.
            I couldn't give two fornicators! Yes, really!

Comment

I said, on the very first instance I said, that its an emergency.

By the way client in his final words said.. If I were you I would have the same thing and he feels sorry for me.

So i think he understands the situation.
              Fair enough then. If it was an emergency and they expected you to neglect this and put them first then stuff them. Well rid to be honest.

OP - I must admit I am intrigued to know what sort of emergency you know at start of week that you're going to need 2 days off for. Hmmm?

Next time - just pull a sickie on the day <<hard hat on>>
              Last edited by psychocandy; 7 October 2014, 12:39.
              Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by BolshieBastard View Post
                Sounds like the OP just wanted to be the 'big I am' and didnt negotiate with the client. I find it a tad funny really that he tried it on, got canned and now is unhappy about it.

Its not clear if the OP is new to contracting or not but, he clearly seems to believe that because he's no longer a permie and now a business, he or his business can do what it wants. Yes, it can but only to a degree.

Being a business doesnt mean just flouncing off when you like at anytime you want. Hopefully lesson learnt.
                Harsh if as OP explains it was an emergency.So are you saying that if same happened to you and client point blank said tough tulipe put us first we dont care you'd stick around too?

Say, for example, family member was ill, in hospital or something like that. You turn around to client and say sorry I've got to go home because, sorry about that, hopefully I'll be back in x days, promise I'll make an effort to catch up. They say no you aint, stay here we dont give a stuff. Are you saying you'd say ok sorry wife/sick child client comes first? Buggered if I would.
                Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

To paraphrase NLUK:

Planned 2 day emergency in week's time? Don't sit right with me, no sir-ee don't sit right at all

Ah feels it in mah bones, mah bones I tells yer

(some artistic licence taken)

Comment

Originally posted by Antman View Post
                    To paraphrase NLUK:

Planned 2 day emergency in week's time? Don't sit right with me, no sir-ee don't sit right at all

Ah feels it in mah bones, mah bones I tells yer

(some artistic licence taken)
                    Can there be a case where OP has some commitments overseas, he is expected there at 'earliest' and OP thinks going thu - sun will be ok as it gives atleast a few days notice to client ?

Comment

Can there be a case where OP has some commitments overseas, he is expected there at 'earliest' and OP thinks going thu - sun will be ok as it gives atleast a few days notice to client ?
                      That's not an emergency though is it?

Comment

Working...
                      X