• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Immediate Termination from Client without serving Notice

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So you can't have emergency time off as the project has a deadline, yet they'll boot you off site that day?

Sounds more like they have taken this opportunity to get rid of the OP, using this time off as an excuse.

Of course they didn't need an excuse, they could have just terminated and said they no longer need you.

No indication of unhappiness with your work beforehand, or have you had any other issues?

Comment

Originally posted by jmo21 View Post
      So you can't have emergency time off as the project has a deadline, yet they'll boot you off site that day?
      Nobody said that. Your wife having a car crash is not the same as "by the way I can't be arsed to come in tomorrow". Business is done between people.
      Originally posted by MaryPoppins
      I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
      Originally posted by vetran
      Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Hmmm. Difficult one OP.

Yes, Im all for this "you dont have to ask for leave etc" but to a limit. Like others have said, its only fair to give client notice and take their needs into consideration too. 2 days warrants a week or two minimum notice I reckon. If it was me, I'd be willing to change my plans too if client could come up with a reason not to.

But the emergency is different. Is this how you advised the client or did you just tell them two days off tough luck? If it was me, I'd have without going into too much of a sob story, explained to the client. Also maybe try to decide how to cause less hassle for them if possible.
        For instance, did it require two days or could it have been one? Could you have worked longer hours in the 3 days before to at least cover off some of the work?

Only you know if its a true emergency. HOWEVER, if it was a true emergency (and not a weekend away etc) involving family/ friends etc and client said no way then I'd think about doing what you did. Its a risk as you found out, but depending on the nature of the emergency and how much I liked the gig, I would possibly do what you did. After all a client who thinks like this and doesnt understand that family comes first is not worth sticking with.

Contractually though I think you're stuffed. Client is upset with you and has invoked a clause so I think that the end of it unfortunately.
        Next time, decide if it is an emergency and pick your battles.
        Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by muds View Post
          Thanks for your reply Scruff, this is what i was not sure about that is my company in breach ? As contract no where mentions that how and when i can ask for leaves ? And is it good enough reason to not serve notice period ??
          Why didn't you use RoS?

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
            Nobody said that. Your wife having a car crash is not the same as "by the way I can't be arsed to come in tomorrow". Business is done between people.
            EXACTLY my point. HUGE difference.

Example 1 = get stuffed client I won't be in.
            Example 2 = moan, moan I cant go away on the piss for the weekend now cos of nobhead client.
            Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by muds View Post
              -- Had this not been an emergency I wouldn't have been in this situation.
              Yes he did.

Comment

Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
                If it was me, I'd have without going into too much of a sob story, ...
                Yeah, we both know that's not true.

Comment

Yes he did.
                  Then he should have told the client it was an emergency not "I am taking two days leave".
                  Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                  I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                  Originally posted by vetran
                  Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

No indication of unhappiness with your work beforehand, or have you had any other issues?
                    Well, I joined this contract 4 weeks ago, no indication on my quality of work. Even in my final meeting client said, it is not a reflection on my work its just a mismatch of timing.

So its highly unlikely they were unhappy with my work.

Comment

Then he should have told the client it was an emergency not "I am taking two days leave".
                      I said, on the very first instance I said, that its an emergency.

By the way client in his final words said.. If I were you I would have the same thing and he feels sorry for me.

So i think he understands the situation.

Comment

Working...
                      X