• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Client requiring medical questionnaire and access to medical records

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Client requiring medical questionnaire and access to medical records

Hi,

Sorry to jump straight in like this with my first post but hopefully someone can help.

I am due to start a contract in the next few weeks as a computer desktop engineer and as part of the process I've been sent a form by my agency entitled 'Occupational Health Screening Questionnaire'. It's 8 pages long, asks questions about every aspect of health and requires my consent to give full access to my GP and medical records.

I am running as a limited company via the agency so well removed from 'employment' with the client and this is the first time I've had a request like this. Throughout the form there are references to 'employee' and 'employer' - I'm pretty sure it's the same form they'd give a permanent employee once employed.

Part of me thinks 'just fill it in and forget it' but the other part of me doesn't feel easy with giving out this kind of information to a company with which I have no direct link.

My medical history isn't terrible but I have been ill in the past and am concerned that a decision could be taken against me before the contract starts in a manner that would be illegal in genuine employment.

What do you think?

Thanks

Ted

Originally posted by TedStriker View Post
    Hi,

Sorry to jump straight in like this with my first post but hopefully someone can help.

I am due to start a contract in the next few weeks as a computer desktop engineer and as part of the process I've been sent a form by my agency entitled 'Occupational Health Screening Questionnaire'. It's 8 pages long, asks questions about every aspect of health and requires my consent to give full access to my GP and medical records.

I am running as a limited company via the agency so well removed from 'employment' with the client and this is the first time I've had a request like this. Throughout the form there are references to 'employee' and 'employer' - I'm pretty sure it's the same form they'd give a permanent employee once employed.

Part of me thinks 'just fill it in and forget it' but the other part of me doesn't feel easy with giving out this kind of information to a company with which I have no direct link.

My medical history isn't terrible but I have been ill in the past and am concerned that a decision could be taken against me before the contract starts in a manner that would be illegal in genuine employment.

What do you think?

Thanks

Ted
    "Sorry, you seem to have sent me this form in error, since I am not an employee".
    Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Originally posted by TedStriker View Post
      What do you think?
      Ignore it.

If they ask for it, tell them that since it was about employment, you assumed it had been sent in error.

If they say that they need it, then write a letter on company headed paper which says something like:

"To whom it may concern,

All employees and company officers of <Your Company> have undertaken an occupational health survey, and to the best of out knowledge, there are no health issues which would impact our ability to deliver the contract between ourselves and <Agency>.

Sincerely,

<Company Secretary>"

It's nothing to do with them, but if they need to show that they have done all the due diligence, then legally that should suffice.
      Best Forum Advisor 2014
      Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
      Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Advise them that your Ltd will provide this info via its own systems and processes for an administration fee of £500 + VAT.

Comment

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
          If they say that they need it, then write a letter on company headed paper which says something like:

"To whom it may concern,

All employees and company officers of <Your Company> have undertaken an occupational health survey, and to the best of out knowledge, there are no health issues which would impact our ability to deliver the contract between ourselves and <Agency>.

Sincerely,

<Company Secretary>"
          So you think supplying fraudulent information is the best approach? Because I somehow doubt this is the case
          Originally posted by MaryPoppins
          I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
          Originally posted by vetran
          Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
            So you think supplying fraudulent information is the best approach? Because I somehow doubt this is the case
            No, you read the form and complete it. You file that away in your company records.

Show me the fraud.
            Best Forum Advisor 2014

Comment

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
              No, you read the form and complete it. You file that away in your company records.

Show me the fraud.
              Show me the occupational health survey...
              'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                They emailed it to the OP, didn't they?
                Best Forum Advisor 2014

Comment

Hi Guys,

Thanks for the replies, a bit more info...

The site is a research facility and as such will not all be standard office environments. The contract is initially for 6 months but as a 'trial' to see if a permanent position is viable. It seems like the company is already treating me as an employee as they have asked for details such as NI number as well.

As it's the agency that have forwarded the form on to me, I guess that suggests they are ok with it. One further point if I do fill it in is that the agency will also have possession of a confidential medical document which they have no right to.

The only other time I've had a similar situation was when I went permanent after 3 years contracting at a chemical plant. Shortly after permanent employment started I had a medical exam/questionnaire but not before. I also believe it's against employment law to require detailed medical information before employment has commenced.

http://www.equalityhumanrights.com/s...yers_final.pdf

Thanks,
                  Ted

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                    I can write one for you.

It never said it needed to be written by an expert......
                    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Working...
                    X