• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Timesheet IR35 indicator?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by LondonManc View Post
    Happy with most of the aspects of IR35 but hadn't read about the working hours part.

Essentially because I'm working a non-standard working week (I don't work a full Friday afternoon but make up the hours outside it to deliver the minimum contractually required per week) then that's a big outside IR35 plus?

TIA
    No it's quite a minor point by itself. Permies can work flexible times as well. It can be part of proving there is no D&C which would be more useful.
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
      No it's quite a minor point by itself. Permies can work flexible times as well. It can be part of proving there is no D&C which would be more useful.
      Just for a change, I'll disagree...

If the company absolutely will not let their employees work flexible times, but they will with contractors, then that goes a long way to proving that they don't see you as an employee.
      Best Forum Advisor 2014
      Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
      Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Essentially because I'm working a non-standard working week (I don't work a full Friday afternoon but make up the hours outside it to deliver the minimum contractually required per week) then that's a big outside IR35 plus?
        If it acts as a discriminator between you and the permies that work around you, it's a plus in terms of showing a different level of (lack of) D&C. However, it's pretty common practice for permies to be given a level of flexibility too. Essentially, with all IR35 factors, you're looking at what distinguishes you from employees. For example, having no minimum number of hours or any specific working hours, working offsite etc. would be "strong" indicators, because they aren't afforded to employees, but anything that acts as a discriminator is positive.

Comment

Sorry for evolving the thread into an IR35 indicators thread but what other "quick wins" do people use to differentiate? For example, variable lunch hours outside of 12-2, dress code of your own LtdCo rather than ClientCo dress code, etc.?
          The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Sorry for evolving the thread into an IR35 indicators thread but what other "quick wins" do people use to differentiate? For example, variable lunch hours outside of 12-2, dress code of your own LtdCo rather than ClientCo dress code, etc.?
            There are no "quick wins" as such with an IR35 case - you may have a series of small factors which add up to a more convincing case, but that's not the same thing.

If you are looking for a quick win, it suggests that you are only looking for a box-ticking exercise, which isn't the best way to prepare your IR35 defence.

FWIW, I don't think what you wear or when you have lunch would be any form of IR35 indicator.
            Best Forum Advisor 2014
            Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
            Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
              There are no "quick wins" as such with an IR35 case - you may have a series of small factors which add up to a more convincing case, but that's not the same thing.

If you are looking for a quick win, it suggests that you are only looking for a box-ticking exercise, which isn't the best way to prepare your IR35 defence.

FWIW, I don't think what you wear or when you have lunch would be any form of IR35 indicator.
              Oh I'm not after quick wins, more general methods of conduct. I've never been concerned about it as I've followed the general advice of a couple of seasoned contractors and my accountant. I know of one guy who always looks smart but always wears jeans to work - it's his LtdCo's dress code. Whether he just does that because he can rather than for IR35 I was never sure!
              The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Oh I'm not after quick wins, more general methods of conduct. I've never been concerned about it as I've followed the general advice of a couple of seasoned contractors and my accountant. I know of one guy who always looks smart but always wears jeans to work - it's his LtdCo's dress code. Whether he just does that because he can rather than for IR35 I was never sure!
                If you understood IR35 then it should be pretty obvious. Ticking boxes to pretend to be outside will not work. You are business, act like one and it will become clear.
                'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

There aren't any quick wins and dress isn't part of it either anyway. You don't expect someone moving boxes to dress in the same way as someone meeting clients or the head of the client company.

There are however some clients who have clearly defined rules for contractors.

However these rules tend to be over small and/or social things rather than ways of working.

For example:
                  1. Clients who don't invite contractors to staff parties. However often this can backfire as in departments where 50% or more of the workers are contractors the permies tend to refuse to turn up as well. Most people don't like company parties so any excuse not to turn up is welcome.
                  2. Clients who have a on-site canteen and charge contractors a higher rate
                  3. Email addresses that clearly indicate who is a contractor and who isn't.
                  4. Contractors not allowed desk phones but permies are. (This works well because people can't ring you up and disturb you instead they have to try and find you.)
                  "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
                    There aren't any quick wins and dress isn't part of it either anyway. You don't expect someone moving boxes to dress in the same way as someone meeting clients or the head of the client company.

There are however some clients who have clearly defined rules for contractors.

However these rules tend to be over small and/or social things rather than ways of working.

For example:
                    1. Clients who don't invite contractors to staff parties. However often this can backfire as in departments where 50% or more of the workers are contractors the permies tend to refuse to turn up as well. Most people don't like company parties so any excuse not to turn up is welcome.
                    2. Clients who have a on-site canteen and charge contractors a higher rate
                    3. Email addresses that clearly indicate who is a contractor and who isn't.
                    4. Contractors not allowed desk phones but permies are. (This works well because people can't ring you up and disturb you instead they have to try and find you.)
                    1. So, staff parties - what's the ruling on these? Where I am now, contractors have to pay and permies don't if they want to attend. Presume that's IR35 friendly.
                    2. Never heard of these.
                    3. Never seen these either
                    4. Again, never seen this but like the idea of it.

Most places I've contracted are quite pragmatic about it - as a contractor you are provided with the tools to get the job done. No different to consultants that are brought in from Accenture, etc.

Comment

1. So, staff parties - what's the ruling on these? Where I am now, contractors have to pay and permies don't if they want to attend. Presume that's IR35 friendly.
                      2. Never heard of these.
                      3. Never seen these either
                      4. Again, never seen this but like the idea of it.

Most places I've contracted are quite pragmatic about it - as a contractor you are provided with the tools to get the job done. No different to consultants that are brought in from Accenture, etc.
                      The three pillars are RoS, D&C and MoO. Other things can be important in creating an overall picture, but without one (ideally more) of the three pillars, the other stuff won't help you.

Comment

Working...
                      X