• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Is it possible to stay outside IR35 with one of these new Capita government contracts

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is it possible to stay outside IR35 with one of these new Capita government contracts

Basically what the title says. I've had three calls today from agents for different government contracts through Capita. Sounds like you'd be caught by IR35 and the rates aren't brilliant either. However my current contract comes up soon so can't rule anything out right now, even the public sector contract circuit.

So is there anyone here on one of these contracts and if so what do you think the IR35 status is?

Originally posted by Cenobite View Post
    Basically what the title says. I've had three calls today from agents for different government contracts through Capita. Sounds like you'd be caught by IR35 and the rates aren't brilliant either. However my current contract comes up soon so can't rule anything out right now, even the public sector contract circuit.

So is there anyone here on one of these contracts and if so what do you think the IR35 status is?
    AIUI the CL One contract is being revised and the new version should be out soon, mainly because nobody in their right mind was signing the first version. Whether or not that gives a route out of IR35 - or to be precise a route that means you don't have to pay taxes as though you are inside IR35 whether or not you actually are inside - is a whole other question, although I would be very surprised if that wasn't high on the agenda.
    Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Don't know about capita. Remember, this is primarily an issue in government, not the wider public sector (e.g. NHS).

Comment

Originally posted by malvolio View Post
        AIUI the CL One contract is being revised and the new version should be out soon, mainly because nobody in their right mind was signing the first version. Whether or not that gives a route out of IR35 - or to be precise a route that means you don't have to pay taxes as though you are inside IR35 whether or not you actually are inside - is a whole other question, although I would be very surprised if that wasn't high on the agenda.
        Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
        Don't know about capita. Remember, this is primarily an issue in government, not the wider public sector (e.g. NHS).
        I've just turned down a role at HSCIC (NHS IT function) on the basis that it was a CL1 contract. Current role with public sector is under the CIPHER Framework and IR35 safe. Most recent extension to September was supposed to have been under CL1 but that got pulled after hundreds of contractors refused to sign it.

No news from either Cabinet Office or PCG on the new version, or even if there is going to be one. New contractors at current gig are being signed up under CL1 and were apparently unaware of the issues.
        "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

Thanks everyone for all the replies. All the agents were calling them CL1 contracts which are believe is what Capita are pushing for all new contractors.

Also none of the agents wanted to talk about my skills or experience: it was all about how low I would go on the rate just to be put in front of Capita. Sounds like a dire situation to me.

Cheers.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
            KUATB...

HMG has outsourced all PS recruitment to Capita Resourcing, who have written the master contract against which the various agencies are working. Needless to say they've gold plated what was already a shockingly bad thing, making it even worse. T's so bad it's being redrafted otherwise PS won't have any contractors applying for anything.

New contractors at current gig are being signed up under CL1 and were apparently unaware of the issues.
            Do you have a lot of clowns at your place? How can they not be aware of the problems with the CL1 contract; it breaks everything we look for, even if you ignore IR35. Nobody with half a brain would sign it.
            Blog? What blog...?

Comment

KUATB...

HMG has outsourced all PS recruitment to Capita Resourcing, who have written the master contract against which the various agencies are working. Needless to say they've gold plated what was already a shockingly bad thing, making it even worse. T's so bad it's being redrafted otherwise PS won't have any contractors applying for anything.

Do you have a lot of clowns at your place? How can they not be aware of the problems with the CL1 contract; it breaks everything we look for, even if you ignore IR35. Nobody with half a brain would sign it.
              Its remarkable how many people sign contracts without reading them...
              merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
                Its remarkable how many people sign contracts without reading them...
                WES +1

It was disturbing how many current contractors weren't aware of the whole financial assurances issue or the state of the CL1 contracts when they were first introduced.

I do my best to spread the word but some people just don't want to listen.
                "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

Originally posted by DaveB View Post
                  I've just turned down a role at HSCIC (NHS IT function) on the basis that it was a CL1 contract. Current role with public sector is under the CIPHER Framework and IR35 safe. Most recent extension to September was supposed to have been under CL1 but that got pulled after hundreds of contractors refused to sign it.

No news from either Cabinet Office or PCG on the new version, or even if there is going to be one. New contractors at current gig are being signed up under CL1 and were apparently unaware of the issues.
                  HSCIC is DH not NHS, hence government.

Comment

KUATB...

Not true for NHS.

Comment

Working...
                    X