• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Agent Behaviour

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Agent Behaviour

Having finished a contract at the end of May, I am astounded by the lack of common coutesy that some agencies/agents have towards candidates.
    • Failure to return calls despite multiple messages being left.
    • Failure to respond to emails
    • Ask candidate to return call and then too busy or out of the office...

One agent said he recognised my CV when he worked at another well known agency. No response from him since, despite 2 emails being sent and 2 voice messages being left. He was exactly the same at the previous agency

I would dearly love to name and shame the agents/agencies.

Anyone else have these experiences?

Have your read the Need 2 References sticky at the top of this thread? That should give you and idea if people's frustrations.

I would say we have all had this and it's standard practice. The difference is some people don't get too upset and see it as part of the game. If he has something and there is a chance he can make some money out of it they will be all over you like a rash. If he doesn't you are dead to him. The deafening silence is kind of feedback really.
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by UncleAlbert View Post

That's pretty much how I treat agents when I'm not interested.
      Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

[QUOTE

Anyone else have these experiences?[/QUOTE]

All the time.

Comment

Having finished a contract at the end of May, I am astounded by the lack of common coutesy that some agencies/agents have towards candidates.

One agent said he recognised my CV when he worked at another well known agency. No response from him since, despite 2 emails being sent and 2 voice messages being left. He was exactly the same at the previous agency

If they have an update for you, one of:
          - yes, you have an interview
          - yes, you got the contract

what is there to talk about?

I've noticed more agencies now using a "If you don't hear from us, you have not been shortlisted" standard response, presumably to try and cut down on the number of phone calls they get.

Incidentally, the number of applications/phone calls is precisely the reason clients user agencies, imagine having your tech staff bombarded with calls/emails about whether Joe Geek is getting an interview

Comment

That's a common thing with most agencies. The larger ones seems to be pretty bad. If they want you, they will call and call and call like there's no tomorrow. Or you'll get the standard "he/she is not at the desk" or "won't pick up the phone" or "won't reply to your emails"....

Having said that there have been a couple of agents who are genuine and helpful - very rare though. Sometimes it varies WITHIN the same organization. Once I found that a colleague of a consultant was way better when I had to deal with him on his holidays. In general they are all the same and they won't change their spots. Their aim is to make money by placing the cheapest candidate and charge a big margin to the client. It does not matter to them how much you know and if you are the expert in the field or not. If they can sell you, be assured they will be after you.

Get used to it ..

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
              Have your read the Need 2 References sticky at the top of this thread? That should give you and idea if people's frustrations.

I would say we have all had this and it's standard practice. The difference is some people don't get too upset and see it as part of the game. If he has something and there is a chance he can make some money out of it they will be all over you like a rash. If he doesn't you are dead to him. The deafening silence is kind of feedback really.
              WHS - you will drive yourself mad if you expect any kind of response unless you are likely to start earning them money.

Fire and forget is the only policy for me...

Comment

You could of course drop Psychocandy a PM. You can both let off a bit of steam together!!
                'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Did you really join the forums in 2011 and this is your first post?!

latest-and-greatest solution (TM) kevpuk 2013

Comment

Have you just noticed this?

Comment

Working...
                    X