• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

How Easy for GB to Rejoin

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by pr1 View Post

August 2013 - Oil $107 a barrel
    USA petrol $ 3.645/gal
    UK petrol £ 1.37/l
    $1 = £0.645

May 2022 - Oil $106 a barrel
    USA petrol $ 4.545 /gal (+25%)
    UK petrol £ 1.74/l (+27%)
    $1 = £0.791 (+23%)

from https://www.racfoundation.org/data/u...ices-over-time
    and https://www.eia.gov/dnav/pet/hist/Le...te_nus_dpg&f=m
    and https://www.xe.com/currencycharts/?f...o=GBP&view=10Y

disagree
    Feel free. But you can't compare USA and UK prices directly. for one thing there are different taxation regimes entirely: a lot of our increase is down to fuel duty and VAT (and VAT on fuel duty).
    Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
      The UK will probably rejoin the single market. Average incomes were higher and everyone was clearly better off when the UK was in the EU. Since leaving the EU, the UK has seen the biggest fall in household income on record. So much for the myth of employers pushing wages down when the UK was in the EU.
      and I call bulltulip

https://www.ons.gov.uk/peoplepopulat...ld-income-data

• Median household disposable income in the UK was £31,400 in financial year ending (FYE) 2021, which covered the first year of the coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic; this was an annual increase of 2%, based on estimates from the Office for National Statistics' (ONS) Household Finances Survey.
      and again

https://www.smart-trucking.com/truck-driver-shortage/

However, we are of the belief that the truck driver shortage is a really a myth.

There are many individuals with the training and skills needed to fill these truck driving job positions.

But due to low pay and less than desirable working conditions, many are leaving the industry, in search of a better career.

Others are lured into the trucking industry as drivers, thinking they will fill these positions and make a good living for themselves and their families.

Once they begin driving, they discover the trucking industry has a history of treating drivers unfairly and paying them low wages.
      The figures confirm this, plenty moved to Uber & Amazon and found they were treated better. Same with Airlines and other employers bleating about lack of cheap abusable workers.

Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post

You have heard of Automation?
        This is having no effect on the current lack of availability of people to do the jobs no? There were no availablity ossies before the pandemic and the only thing that has changed is Brexit

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post

Yes, oil prices.
          The price of oil is lower now than it was a few years ago, when petrol was £1.50 a litre. But the price of oil is in dollars and since Brexit, the exchange rate has changed. Nothing to do with your belief that everything can be blamed on Covid and Boris’ paymasters invading Ukraine.
          and another question I would like to ask - why is my local Tesco selling me diesel for £199.9 per litre and the same store 10 miles away is 192.9.
          This is daylight robbery and the only reason in so far as I am able to see is that the store where it is cheaper has competition from other stores.

Comment

Originally posted by Baddish View Post

and another question I would like to ask - why is my local Tesco selling me diesel for £199.9 per litre and the same store 10 miles away is 192.9.
            This is daylight robbery and the only reason in so far as I am able to see is that the store where it is cheaper has competition from other stores.
            Sounds like your local one would charge you more but they don't have a "2" to put in the first digit of the price display

Comment

The fascinating thing about Brexit has been how Labour now publicly support a diamond hard Brexit. It is hard not to enjoy the irony of Sir Keith taking a harder line than Korbyn. They are aiming for the fundamental reform of Boris's deal with, wait for it, a Veterinary agreement. Oh, and playing a bit more nicely with the NIP . I mean, sure, they could relax this stance if they ever actually won anything, but the bottom line is that all major parties now support a diamond hard Brexit. There's zero chance of a return to the single market or even the CU for many, many years, which is excellent news for anyone who peddles one's wares in proper currencies.

Comment

This is having no effect on the current lack of availability of people to do the jobs no? There were no availablity ossies before the pandemic and the only thing that has changed is Brexit

Oh dear. There is a global truck driver shortage. It is pretty much the same over most poorly paid semi skilled jobs.

Reasons are
                1. Ageing workforce many retired during Covid.
                2. Because many were laid off during Covid they reskilled.
                3. Many decided to leave poorly paid and poorly treated work.
                4. Testing was suspended.

None of those are due to Brexit.

Now there is a shortage of staff willing to work for minimum wage or below because people can get more on benefits. Maybe Employers need to raise wages?

No they want to exploit cheap overseas staff. If you want to get right behind abusing that go ahead!

I can assure you before Brexit it was difficult to find good people to work at minimum wage if they weren't from low cost countries.
                Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post

No they want to exploit cheap overseas staff. If you want to get right behind abusing that go ahead!

I can assure you before Brexit it was difficult to find good people to work at minimum wage if they weren't from low cost countries.
                  I am an Indian national so I didn't vote in the Brexit vote as I wasn't in Great Britain at that time but many Indians with residency did.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                    There will be more countries leaving it before GB start to even consider it IMO. We can't join again whatever the situation else we will forever be the laughing stock. Even if the thought is there they'll make is to difficult and expensive to re-join to punish us it won't even be worth considering if there was a reason to even engage with them.
                    I give 20 years. But if the UK ever rejoins, it will be on single currency terms, no special veto etc. I don't they'll punish, per se, but they won't make it any easier than for any other country. At least the UK has rule of law, mostly, free courts, ~a free press and a functioning (ish) democracy. Unlike Turkey. So it shouldn't take too long.
                    Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

I am an Indian national so I didn't vote in the Brexit vote as I wasn't in Great Britain at that time but many Indians with residency did.
                      Is that because you wanted to punish us for the Raj?
                      Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Working...
                      X