• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

METRIC DOOM: Imperial measurements to return

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

METRIC DOOM: Imperial measurements to return

Of course it has never gone fully away as the UK is still using miles and pints but the next gammon victory is around the corner

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/u...-b1921732.html

Anyone need a set of scales?

Originally posted by Eirikur View Post
    Of course it has never gone fully away as the UK is still using miles and pints but the next gammon victory is around the corner

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/u...-b1921732.html

Anyone need a set of scales?
    It might be 'allowed', but really how many companies are going to change their systems to show pounds/ounces. The cost/benefit is not worth it.

But hey ... if it keeps the frothing gammons happy, then crack on eh?
    I am what I drink, and I'm a bitter man

Comment

Bring back the FFF System!
      …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Funny thing is you can still buy in pfund/livre in Germany or France. Just means "about half a kilo".

Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
          Funny thing is you can still buy in pfund/livre in Germany or France. Just means "about half a kilo".
          Same in Dutch pond 500 g
          Ons 100g

Comment

Originally posted by Whorty View Post

It might be 'allowed', but really how many companies are going to change their systems to show pounds/ounces. The cost/benefit is not worth it.

But hey ... if it keeps the frothing gammons happy, then crack on eh?
            Twenty years ago they might have had a point, but the vast majority alive now only know metric. I do wonder what is the point of quoting mpg figures when most people don't know how many litres that translates to. I might have to go away and ponder that over a pint...
            His heart is in the right place - shame we can't say the same about his brain...

Comment

Originally posted by Mordac View Post

Twenty years ago they might have had a point, but the vast majority alive now only know metric. I do wonder what is the point of quoting mpg figures when most people don't know how many litres that translates to. I might have to go away and ponder that over a pint...
              Petrol is currently £6 8s 4d per gallon.
              "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Originally posted by Paddy View Post

Petrol is currently £6 8s 4d per gallon.
                Can't wait to see if we go back to imperial liquid measures, or adopt the ones from our PM's country of birth.
                …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Stone me, I can remember when it was 4/8d a gallon.

It was 4/11d for ***** if you had a car that pinked on ****.

Along with much leadness to help out on the pinking front and to lubricate the exhaust valves as is only right & proper.
                  When the fun stops, STOP.

Comment

Meanwhile the beeb has returned to imperial and puts the metric in brackets, where it used to be the other way around. BBC News - Lorry driver shortage: Government working on temporary visa scheme
                    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-58687026
                    Last edited by Eirikur; 25 September 2021, 09:58.

Comment

Working...
                    X