• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.

Damn not bad in a pandemic

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Damn not bad in a pandemic

Operation reality

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-56729631

Trade between the UK and EU partially recovered in February, after a steep drop in January following Brexit.

Official figures show exports to the EU jumped by 46.6%, £3.7bn, to £11.6bn, following January's 42% slump when firms struggled with new trade rules.
    "If you didn't do anything that wasn't good for you it would be a very dull life. What are you gonna do? Everything that is pleasant in life is dangerous."

I want to see the hand of history on his collar.

Better than last month, but still not great. Still down 18% on both imports and exports year on year. - a drop of over £120B in both directions. https://www.ons.gov.uk/economy/natio...e/february2021

Looking at the figures year on year (and 6 and 3 months), the pandemic really has screwed things up.

Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

hmm

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...premium-europe

Deliveroo to Dimon Stoke Fears About London’s Post-Brexit Future
      I'm alright Jack

Comment

you don't think UBER's judgment had anything to do with it?
        "If you didn't do anything that wasn't good for you it would be a very dull life. What are you gonna do? Everything that is pleasant in life is dangerous."

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
          Better than last month, but still not great. Still down 18% on both imports and exports year on year. - a drop of over £120B in both directions. https://www.ons.gov.uk/economy/natio...e/february2021

Looking at the figures year on year (and 6 and 3 months), the pandemic really has screwed things up.
          looks terrible

• The total trade deficit, excluding non-monetary gold and other precious metals, narrowed by £2.1 billion to £6.3 billion in the three months to February 2021; imports decreased by £5.7 billion (negative 3.8%), while exports decreased by £3.6 billion (negative 2.5%).
          • Trade in services imports and exports have consistently remained at a lower level since Q2 2020 as services accounts such as travel and transport trade continue to be affected by coronavirus (COVID-19) restrictions.

Comment

Mind you, other European country's with reasonably good economies show steady export growth since the first wave. So the dec-jan dip looks very much like a blip caused by the end of the transition period. When viewed over a longer period it'll smooth out.

• The total trade deficit, excluding non-monetary gold and other precious metals, narrowed by £2.1 billion to £6.3 billion in the three months to February 2021; imports decreased by £5.7 billion (negative 3.8%), while exports decreased by £3.6 billion (negative 2.5%).
            • Trade in services imports and exports have consistently remained at a lower level since Q2 2020 as services accounts such as travel and transport trade continue to be affected by coronavirus (COVID-19) restrictions.
            So I agree. It looks less than ideal.

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
              Mind you, other European country's with reasonably good economies show steady export growth since the first wave. So the dec-jan dip looks very much like a blip caused by the end of the transition period. When viewed over a longer period it'll smooth out.

So I agree. It looks less than ideal.
              When you buy less than you sell you make Mr Micawber proud.

Strange its not the complete implosion our remainers described.

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post
                Strange its not the complete implosion our remainers described.
                To be fair, only some described it that way. Others picture more a steady, slow decline.

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post
                  Trade between the UK and EU partially recovered in February, after a steep drop in January following Brexit.

Official figures show exports to the EU jumped by 46.6%, £3.7bn, to £11.6bn, following January's 42% slump when firms struggled with new trade rules.
                  Interesting that you think a partial recovery, from a steep drop, is positive

And they say Brexiters are as thick as mince
                  I am what I drink, and I'm a bitter man

Comment

Working...
                  X