• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Not even 100 days and welcome to “Food scarcity fears”

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Not even 100 days and welcome to “Food scarcity fears”

Food scarcity fears prompt plan to ease post-Brexit checks on EU imports

Ministers considering ‘lighter touch’ regime to avoid disruption to supplies from bloc

Ministers are preparing to relax post-Brexit plans for border checks on food and other imports from the European Union because of fears that they will further damage trade and could lead to severe shortages in UK supermarkets.

The Observer has been told by multiple industry sources that Boris Johnson’s new Brexit minister, Lord Frost, is considering allowing “lighter touch” controls on imports from 1 April than are currently planned, and scaling back plans for full customs checks, including physical inspections, which are due to begin on 1 July.

One source said he had been told that Frost was preparing to put the plans, which could mean imports being allowed in even if clerical errors have been made by European companies, before fellow cabinet ministers this week, as evidence grows of how Brexit has hit trade with the EU.”

https://www.theguardian.com/politics...-on-eu-imports

vetran and Co would rather choke on turnips than admit that Brexit was a Mor Onic idea

Indeed the introduction of new import controls could get interesting. Think Northern Ireland.
    I'm alright Jack

Comment

Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
      Indeed the introduction of new import controls could get interesting. Think Northern Ireland.
      A fair solution under the circumstances - DUP will be content is England is starving (of fresh produce) also.

Comment

The other option is of course sourcing our food from elsewhere if we find the EU is unable to cope with third country requirements on customs paperwork as it seems some of our companies are.

Thought for the year - If we had stayed we would have been at 6% of the population vaccinated now not 32.9%. I bet you morons would go for that.

Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post
          The other option is of course sourcing our food from elsewhere if we find the EU is unable to cope with third country requirements on customs paperwork as it seems some of our companies are.

Thought for the year - If we had stayed we would have been at 6% of the population vaccinated now not 32.9%. I bet you morons would go for that.
          We invented the paperwork so we should know how to fill it incorrectly so the EU can process it.
          "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post

We invented the paperwork so we should know how to fill it incorrectly so the EU can process it.
            You would have thought so but for some reason it isn't happening both ways. I wonder why?

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
                vetran and Co would rather choke on turnips than admit that Brexit was a Mor Onic idea
                a) Turnips are tasty.
                b) What has Piers of GMB got to do with anything?

Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Can we not live on jam, biscuits and british happier fish?

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post

You would have thought so but for some reason it isn't happening both ways. I wonder why?
                    It will be after the 1st of April.
                    I'm alright Jack

Comment

Working...
                    X