• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Tory party members happy to destroy the UK to get Brexit

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It looks like Tory party members would be happy to see the destruction of the UK and its economy if they get Brexit

The one thing they don't want however is a Corbyn government.

Guess what they'll probably end up with.

I'm alright Jack

be afraid
    I'm alright Jack

Comment

Vote Rory get Nigel

Vote Boris get Jeremy

Comment

Originally posted by unixman View Post
        Vote Rory get Nigel

Vote Boris get Jeremy
        I don't see Nigel getting in No.10, sure Brexit party got the most votes on the EU elections, but it's a bit different then GE, even then 31% doesn't get him majority to form a government and he will be hard pressed finding coalition partner. More likely outcome is resurgence of LibDem taking the majority of Remain vote and a LibDem/SNP pro-remain coalition, that is if Brexit doesn't happen before GE

Neither the Tories, nor Labor have a chance at majority government any time soon. Too much of the "hard brexit" and "hard remain" votes are siphoned to Brexit party and LibDems

If Brexit actually happens before the next GE (especially no-deal Brexit) it will be the end of the UK. Scotish indie2 and turmoils in NI will be the end of it.

Comment

Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
          It looks like Tory party members would be happy to see the destruction of the UK and its economy if they get Brexit

The one thing they don't want however is a Corbyn government.

Guess what they'll probably end up with.

As we've said many times on here .... Brexit has become a religion. It's supporters are fanatics. Let's be grateful they are too old to carry a rucksack
          I am what I drink, and I'm a bitter man

Comment

Originally posted by Whorty View Post
            As we've said many times on here .... Brexit has become a religion. It's supporters are fanatics. Let's be grateful they are too old to carry a rucksack
            Some people just want to watch the world burn. Unfortunately, they’re in the majority of Tory members...

Comment

Originally posted by sal View Post
              I don't see Nigel getting in No.10, sure Brexit party got the most votes on the EU elections, but it's a bit different then GE, even then 31% doesn't get him majority to form a government and he will be hard pressed finding coalition partner. More likely outcome is resurgence of LibDem taking the majority of Remain vote and a LibDem/SNP pro-remain coalition, that is if Brexit doesn't happen before GE

Neither the Tories, nor Labor have a chance at majority government any time soon. Too much of the "hard brexit" and "hard remain" votes are siphoned to Brexit party and LibDems

If Brexit actually happens before the next GE (especially no-deal Brexit) it will be the end of the UK. Scotish indie2 and turmoils in NI will be the end of it.
              "it will be the end of the UK"

there was a time you know, when the UK wasn't a member of the EU. Way back then, a 22 year old could afford a mortgage to buy a reasonable property based entirely on their own salary and have only 20 years to repay. A deposit of 10% was required and 2.5 times the major income provider's salary could be borrowed. How many young people would be happy to be in this position now? It is my contention that the essentials of living were cheaper in relation to incomes than they are now.

Many UK manufactured goods, and they are few and far between now, were considerably cheaper than EU manufactured goods. Yes, our consumer goods are cheaper in relation to incomes than they were, but in the early 1960's a Jaguar MK2 was cheaper than some run of the mill Renault cars. Lesser UK made cars were considerably cheaper than EU offerings.

Many more jobs were secure for much longer than they are today. Ford employed thousands in the UK and they built UK home market cars here in the UK, which they don't do now. Many will claim that our cars were inferior quality to EU built examples, but I've always contended that price will always be the major factor in sales volumes. Look at the success of Dacia cars. I wouldn't say they come up to the quality levels of equivalent UK built cars, but nevertheless, they are selling like hot cakes because they are so cheap. I can't ever see us returning entirely to those days now, but there are surely many who are hoping we might.

Comment

Originally posted by JohntheBike View Post

there was a time you know, when the UK wasn't a member of the EU. Way back then, a 22 year old could afford a mortgage to buy a reasonable property based entirely on their own salary and have only 20 years to repay. A deposit of 10% was required and 2.5 times the major income provider's salary could be borrowed. How many young people would be happy to be in this position now? It is my contention that the essentials of living were cheaper in relation to incomes than they are now.
                There's no contention about it, it was cheaper. There were council houses, most rented properties weren't privately owned. Going to university didn't require a loan, in fact you were given a grant. Kids got free school meals. etc. The EU didn't change any of that.

Many UK manufactured goods, and they are few and far between now, were considerably cheaper than EU manufactured goods. Yes, our consumer goods are cheaper in relation to incomes than they were, but in the early 1960's a Jaguar MK2 was cheaper than some run of the mill Renault cars. Lesser UK made cars were considerably cheaper than EU offerings.

Many more jobs were secure for much longer than they are today. Ford employed thousands in the UK and they built UK home market cars here in the UK, which they don't do now. Many will claim that our cars were inferior quality to EU built examples, but I've always contended that price will always be the major factor in sales volumes. Look at the success of Dacia cars. I wouldn't say they come up to the quality levels of equivalent UK built cars, but nevertheless, they are selling like hot cakes because they are so cheap. I can't ever see us returning entirely to those days now, but there are surely many who are hoping we might.
                Companies were sold to shareholders. Shareholders demand profits and generally aren't interested in money being invested in "manufacturing", so sell off and outsource to the cheapest option to keep the shareholders happy and to make sure the funds are there for the pension pots of the board.

Perhaps the pining is for Victorian days, when women didn't vote, etc. Or maybe it's the idea of harking back to "The War" by people who didn't fight in it and show more support for the axis powers than for the allies.
                …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Aye life in the UK before the EU, look forward to it.

I'm alright Jack

Comment

Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
                    Aye life in the UK before the EU, look forward to it.

yes, and there are probably many in the same position now. So the EU hasn't been of any benefit to them.

It has been said that if all the World's wealth were equally distributed between everyone alive at a certain time, then after a year, there would still be billionaires and sickeningly poor people. This is aptly demonstrated by those who have won the lottery, or similar, and are virtually bankrupt some years later.

Comment

Working...
                    X