• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

MEP Article, warning it's pretty chilling.

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

MEP Article, warning it's pretty chilling.

Sorry to post a link for the Guard, don't know what happened, was on the DM and for some reason decided to read the Guard.

I’ve got the best job in British politics: being an MEP | Seb Dance | Opinion | The Guardian

This MEP, loves her job though in her own words it's a bit like making things up as you go. Read it if you dare but its chilling, for example this quote...

As a single MEP you have an enormous amount of potential influence that a backbench MP in Westminster could only dream of
    There is no government and no opposition.
    The result is that in five short years, you can directly influence the course of hundreds of bits of legislation that shape lives in the UK and across the whole of Europe.
    There you go, chilling.

Originally posted by woohoo View Post
    Sorry to post a link for the Guard, don't know what happened, was on the DM and for some reason decided to read the Guard.

I’ve got the best job in British politics: being an MEP | Seb Dance | Opinion | The Guardian

This MEP, loves her job though in her own words it's a bit like making things up as you go. Read it if you dare but its chilling, for example this quote...

There you go, chilling.
    Chilling?
    I'd see it as excellent. You're not forced to toe the party line, everything is debated rather than forced through and you're not controlled by whips.
    …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

There you go, chilling.
      So our elected MEP's have a real voice and real influence over what the EU can do and how it affects the rest of the UK? Sounds good to me.
      "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

MEPs that really hardly any of us know or vote for then make up huge rafts of legislation which has to then be implemented.

A compromise is reached, because in her own words a compromise is how everything is done between vastly different interests. No party oversight, no debates in public and no opposition.

You can't make this up. You sell your democracy cheaply.

Comment

MEPs that really hardly any of us know or vote for then make up huge rafts of legislation which has to then be implemented.

A compromise is reached, because in her own words a compromise is how everything is done between vastly different interests. No party oversight, no debates in public and no opposition.

The last 2 years has convinced me Brussels is better than Westminster.

Comment

The Swiss system is proportional representation, coupled with referenda. Doesn't seem to work too badly.

There you go, chilling.
            it's called proportional representation. It has pros and cons, just like the British system.

And just like the British system it does attract cons and pros.

Which is least worst is debatable. I prefer fptp when the majority commanded is more than 70, say. Or more than - 7.
            Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Well if you can't be bothered to find out who your MEP is or vote in the elections you really have no grounds to complain.

Compromise sounds better than one sided views being railroaded through regardless of anyone else. Tying to do that is how we ended up in the mess we are in now with Brexit. If May and the hard line Brexiters had been willing to compromise on the "red lines" we'd probably be out by now.

All the debates are public, in the same way as debates in the HoC are public and are reported verbatim in both the original language and translation on the European Parliament Website, in the same way that Hansard publishes verbatim proceedings of the HoC and HoL here.

There is no opposition because fundamentally there are no party politics, although voting blocks do exist on broadly political platforms, Left/Right/Center. MEPS with similar views tend to vote together along the same lines.
              "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

Why do you keep saying “her”? It’s Seb Dance, you muppet, he’s not that difficult to look up.

Comment

Hardly a democracy. In British elections, the policies and records of all competing parties are available to all citizens. We know who the PM will be and often have a good idea who the important ministers will be.

In the European parliament we get to vote for less than 10% of MEPs, the rest are people we have never heard of, whose policies we know nothing about, who are voted in by members of other nations acting in their own interests which may not be in our own.
                  bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
                  John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Originally posted by meridian View Post
                    Why do you keep saying “her”? It’s Seb Dance, you muppet, he’s not that difficult to look up.
                    FFS that's what you take from this. That I typed her instead of him. You insecure prattling prat.

Comment

Working...
                    X