• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

MEP Article, warning it's pretty chilling.

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DaveB View Post
    Well if you can't be bothered to find out who your MEP is or vote in the elections you really have no grounds to complain.

All the debates are public, in the same way as debates in the HoC are public and are reported verbatim in both the original language and translation on the European Parliament Website, in the same way that Hansard publishes verbatim proceedings of the HoC and HoL here.

There is no opposition because fundamentally there are no party politics, although voting blocks do exist on broadly political platforms, Left/Right/Center. MEPS with similar views tend to vote together along the same lines.
    I can't be bothered? Hardly anyone can be bothered.

Debates are public? Are you kidding me, hidden in rafts of minutes. Hardly discussed or reported on in our papers or media. The politics programme on BB2 can't even be arsed with them.

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
      The last 2 years has convinced me Brussels is better than Westminster.
      I'm starting to think they are as incompetent as each other.

Comment

Originally posted by xoggoth View Post
        Hardly a democracy. In British elections, the policies and records of all competing parties are available to all citizens. We know who the PM will be and often have a good idea who the important ministers will be.

In the European parliament we get to vote for less than 10% of MEPs, the rest are people we have never heard of, whose policies we know nothing about, who are voted in by members of other nations acting in their own interests which may not be in our own.
        The policies and records of all current and prospective MEP's are also available, should you choose to go and look for them. There is no equivalent of the PM or Cabinet Ministers. The parliament elects a President, whose job is to represent the Parliament at the European Council and internationally. he has a cabinet that is essentially a back office function to support him in this role. Neither he, not the cabinet are involved in setting policy or direction.

Full CV's of all current and prospective MEP's are available should you want to read them. Of course members from other nations may not share our interests, just as we and others may not share theirs. If we all had the same interests there would be no need of the EU or European Parliament, we'd all be the same anyway.

MEP's don't sit in National or Party groups, they sit either in Political Groups based on a shared political viewpoint or as independents. UK Conservative MEP's generally sit as part of the European Conservatives and Reformists Group - Slogan "Bringing Back Common Sense" (I kid you not). UKIP MEP's sit as part of the Europe of Freedom and Direct Democracy - Slogan "Peoples Voice" (Any of this starting to sound familiar?), etc etc.
        "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

Originally posted by xoggoth View Post
          Hardly a democracy. In British elections, the policies and records of all competing parties are available to all citizens. We know who the PM will be and often have a good idea who the important ministers will be.

Except we don't know who the PM will be or who the important ministers are, unless we had a 1 party state.
          …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Originally posted by woohoo View Post

Debates are public? Are you kidding me, hidden in rafts of minutes. Hardly discussed or reported on in our papers or media. The politics programme on BB2 can't even be arsed with them.
            Maybe you should be then, it might prove enlightening.

The vast majority of debates in the HoC or HoL aren't reported either, even the Politics programs only report on a small minority of higher profile debates. You need to go to the Parliament website or Hansard for the details.

I notice the media aren't exactly falling over themselves to report yesterdays proceedings regarding the proposed Tobacco Companies (Transparency) Bill or the Republic of Guinea-Bissau (Sanctions) (EU Exit) Regulations (S.I., 2019, No. 554). They don't seem to have gone out of their way to report on the recent debate on the Loan Charge either.
            "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

FFS that's what you take from this. That I typed her instead of him. You insecure prattling prat.
              Yes. If you can’t even get the basics right, I don’t hold much hope for any of the rest of your “analysis”.

Comment

Sorry to post a link for the Guard, don't know what happened, was on the DM and for some reason decided to read the Guard.

I’ve got the best job in British politics: being an MEP | Seb Dance | Opinion | The Guardian

This MEP, loves her job though in her own words it's a bit like making things up as you go. Read it if you dare but its chilling, for example this quote...

There you go, chilling.
                You gave fair trigger warning there, so no complaints hopefully.

Comment

Eurosceptics used to complain that Eurocrats made all the decisions, now it's moved to democratically elected MEPs as they demanded, they don't like that either.

This is precisely why Brexit should be reversed, because if the Eurosceptics get what they demand they won't like it. Best to ignore them.
                  I'm alright Jack

Comment

@woohoo Maybe there's a reason why you find me condescending. You seem to not understand so much.
                    Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

You really are a fookwit.

Just because you’re not spoon fed the information by journalists.
                      If you set of twats wanted to know the content of the debates then you can find it. If enough want it then some journalist will publish it (in thick as mince speak if needed).

There’s no way you can blame the EU for your, and your idiot compatriots, lack of interest.
                      See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Working...
                      X