• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Pointless writing to my MP ?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Whorty View Post
    Be great if you could post your analysis and findings on here too, there are a lot of Bremoaners who need to be educated on why WTO is better than this deal.
    Don't think I said WTO is a better deal, only that it may provide more certainty now than May's deal. Will that certainty be a good thing ?

I'll ask my 10yo for the analysis and report back

Comment

Originally posted by Spoiler View Post
      Don't think I said WTO is a better deal, only that it may provide more certainty now than May's deal. Will that certainty be a good thing ?

Depends how you phrase it. If a No Deal will certainly take £4000 out of your pocket*, but May's deal only maybe takes £1000, would you prefer the certainty?

*numbers made up for effect. The point is that sometimes certainty can be less of a good thing than uncertainty.

Comment

That's right certainty of knowing where to move your company's operations is a good thing for business.

I'm alright Jack

Comment

You said ... "May's plan seems the worst option, and again just kicks the can down the road as has happened all through this sorry saga.

Either of the other 2 options - No deal(WTO) or no Brexit seem to give more certainty.
          Pick any one of these, I'm not bothered. But May's plan looks a right shower."

I take the phrase "May's plan seems the worst option" to mean both WTO and remain are better options (in your view). So yes, you did imply that you think WTO is better than May's deal.

As for certainty, I think it's pretty clear from the business sector that they see May's deal as better than no deal/WTO. No deal is the least certain, May's deal next, remain the most certain. But then, if people wanted certainty why did they vote out?
          I am what I drink, and I'm a bitter man

Comment

Originally posted by meridian View Post
            Depends how you phrase it. If a No Deal will certainly take £4000 out of your pocket*, but May's deal only maybe takes £1000, would you prefer the certainty?

*numbers made up for effect. The point is that sometimes certainty can be less of a good thing than uncertainty.
            The majority voted to be poorer, because they voted for Brexit.

Comment

Originally posted by Whorty View Post
              I take the phrase "May's plan seems the worst option" to mean both WTO and remain are better options (in your view). So yes, you did imply that you think WTO is better than May's deal.
              In terms of providing certainty now, agreed.

Comment

The majority voted to be poorer, because they voted for Brexit.
                By poorer, do you mean in terms of economically, sovereignty/control, freedom of movement, all or some of the above?

Do you have evidence that people voted to be poorer? My recollection of the Leave campaign in the referendum is that there were no downsides, only upsides. Extra money that may or may not go to the NHS. Frictionless trade with the EU PLUS global trade deals with other countries. The EU FTA would be the easiest trade deal in history. A "jobs first" Brexit. Any talk of consequences was dismissed as "Project Fear".

Comment

Whoever you vote for, the government always gets in.

Comment

Working...
                  X