• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Pointless writing to my MP ?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pointless writing to my MP ?

Seems by the social media postings of my local MP (Conservative) they will be supporting the PM's withdrawal bill.
    I'd rather they didn't. I did think about sending them a letter to suggest otherwise, but what's the point ... it won't change their view.

May's plan seems the worst option, and again just kicks the can down the road as has happened all through this sorry saga.

Either of the other 2 options - No deal(WTO) or no Brexit seem to give more certainty.
    Pick any one of these, I'm not bothered. But May's plan looks a right shower.

If we do have another referendum, I think I'll ask my 10yo which way to vote and go with that...

Your MP is your democratically chosen representative. Shame on you for trying to influence their vote.

Comment

Originally posted by meridian View Post
      Your MP is your democratically chosen representative. Shame on you for trying to influence their vote.
      But what's the point. They've made their mind up already.
      I could say I will exercise my right and not vote for them again if they do vote for the bill.
      But this is a conservative stronghold seat. I reckon even Jimmy Saville could stand as the Conservative rep and get elected (clearly he couldn't, ... as he's dead. and a paedo (allegedly) but maybe you get the drift...)

Comment

Originally posted by Spoiler View Post
        I could say I will exercise my right and not vote for them again if they do vote for the bill.
        But this is a conservative stronghold seat. I reckon even Jimmy Saville could stand as the Conservative rep and get elected (clearly he couldn't, ... as he's dead. and a paedo (allegedly) but maybe you get the drift...)
        Sorry, there’s not much we can say that will make you feel better. Your constituency has voted them in to make decisions on your behalf. As you say, you can always not vote for them the next time around. That’s democracy for you, where if you don’t like the decision of who your MP is you get to vote again a short time later.

Comment

Well done Spoiler, you've got straight to the nub of the problem. So many others have posted pages and pages of academic speculation about right and wrong , good and bad etc.

The only difference between you and me is my ballot paper could actually have Jimmy Saville on it, dead or alive.

The Tories put a bomb the size of Africa up their anal passage and lit the blue touch paper before thinking what would happen next. Now they can't go back. And they can't go forward. The situation is so dire everyone is frozen with fear.

It's a classic deathmarch. Everyone just has to keep going. Some may survive; some may die but there's nothing anyone can do to stop it all.

And for us? We can do nothing apart from watch the drama unfold.
          "Don't part with your illusions; when they are gone you may still exist, but you have ceased to live" Mark Twain

Comment

Not sure allegedly is needed here - he was a peado.

Comment

Seems by the social media postings of my local MP (Conservative) they will be supporting the PM's withdrawal bill.
              I'd rather they didn't. I did think about sending them a letter to suggest otherwise, but what's the point ... it won't change their view.

May's plan seems the worst option, and again just kicks the can down the road as has happened all through this sorry saga.

Either of the other 2 options - No deal(WTO) or no Brexit seem to give more certainty.

If we do have another referendum, I think I'll ask my 10yo which way to vote and go with that...
              Because the leave media is shouting the deal is the worst option you believe it?
              No deal brexit is the worst option, the deal is the second worst, remain the best

Comment

Originally posted by original PM View Post
                Not sure allegedly is needed here - he was a peado.
                It's still allegedly as he was never convicted. All the evidence suggests he was what he was allegedly accused of, and there is overwhelming evidence that he would likely have been found guilty, but it remains allegedly due to the number of allegations but no convictions.
                I am what I drink, and I'm a bitter man

Comment

Originally posted by Eirikur View Post
                  Because the leave media is shouting the deal is the worst option you believe it?
                  No deal brexit is the worst option, the deal is the second worst, remain the best
                  But, but, but, the Daily Wail and the Express tell me this is bad, and we're being bullied, and the EU is evil, and, and, and, everything .... I'm scared, I don't know what to do, where's my hero Jacob and his Nanny to tell me what I should do next?

Comment

You go for it, you write them a strongly worded letter explaining in detail, with references to exact paragraphs in the withdrawal agreement, what you don't like about it and adding your own analysis of why you think leaving on WTO terms with a big crash is better than this deal.

Be great if you could post your analysis and findings on here too, there are a lot of Bremoaners who need to be educated on why WTO is better than this deal.

Comment

Working...
                    X