• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Pointless writing to my MP ?"

Collapse

• GreenMirror
    replied
    Whoever you vote for, the government always gets in.

Leave a comment:

• meridian
    replied
    Originally posted by Spoiler View Post
    The majority voted to be poorer, because they voted for Brexit.
    By poorer, do you mean in terms of economically, sovereignty/control, freedom of movement, all or some of the above?

Do you have evidence that people voted to be poorer? My recollection of the Leave campaign in the referendum is that there were no downsides, only upsides. Extra money that may or may not go to the NHS. Frictionless trade with the EU PLUS global trade deals with other countries. The EU FTA would be the easiest trade deal in history. A "jobs first" Brexit. Any talk of consequences was dismissed as "Project Fear".

Leave a comment:

• Spoiler
    replied
    Originally posted by Whorty View Post
    I take the phrase "May's plan seems the worst option" to mean both WTO and remain are better options (in your view). So yes, you did imply that you think WTO is better than May's deal.
    In terms of providing certainty now, agreed.

Leave a comment:

• Spoiler
    replied
    Originally posted by meridian View Post
    Depends how you phrase it. If a No Deal will certainly take £4000 out of your pocket*, but May's deal only maybe takes £1000, would you prefer the certainty?

*numbers made up for effect. The point is that sometimes certainty can be less of a good thing than uncertainty.
    The majority voted to be poorer, because they voted for Brexit.

Leave a comment:

• Whorty
    replied
    Don't think I said WTO is a better deal, only that it may provide more certainty now than May's deal. Will that certainty be a good thing ?

I'll ask my 10yo for the analysis and report back
    You said ... "May's plan seems the worst option, and again just kicks the can down the road as has happened all through this sorry saga.

Either of the other 2 options - No deal(WTO) or no Brexit seem to give more certainty.
    Pick any one of these, I'm not bothered. But May's plan looks a right shower."

I take the phrase "May's plan seems the worst option" to mean both WTO and remain are better options (in your view). So yes, you did imply that you think WTO is better than May's deal.

As for certainty, I think it's pretty clear from the business sector that they see May's deal as better than no deal/WTO. No deal is the least certain, May's deal next, remain the most certain. But then, if people wanted certainty why did they vote out?

Leave a comment:

• BlasterBates
    replied
    Don't think I said WTO is a better deal, only that it may provide more certainty now than May's deal. Will that certainty be a good thing ?

That's right certainty of knowing where to move your company's operations is a good thing for business.

Leave a comment:

• meridian
    replied

Depends how you phrase it. If a No Deal will certainly take £4000 out of your pocket*, but May's deal only maybe takes £1000, would you prefer the certainty?

*numbers made up for effect. The point is that sometimes certainty can be less of a good thing than uncertainty.

Leave a comment:

• Spoiler
    replied
    Originally posted by Whorty View Post
    Be great if you could post your analysis and findings on here too, there are a lot of Bremoaners who need to be educated on why WTO is better than this deal.

Leave a comment:

• Whorty
    replied
    Seems by the social media postings of my local MP (Conservative) they will be supporting the PM's withdrawal bill.
    I'd rather they didn't. I did think about sending them a letter to suggest otherwise, but what's the point ... it won't change their view.

May's plan seems the worst option, and again just kicks the can down the road as has happened all through this sorry saga.

Either of the other 2 options - No deal(WTO) or no Brexit seem to give more certainty.
    Pick any one of these, I'm not bothered. But May's plan looks a right shower.

If we do have another referendum, I think I'll ask my 10yo which way to vote and go with that...
    You go for it, you write them a strongly worded letter explaining in detail, with references to exact paragraphs in the withdrawal agreement, what you don't like about it and adding your own analysis of why you think leaving on WTO terms with a big crash is better than this deal.

Be great if you could post your analysis and findings on here too, there are a lot of Bremoaners who need to be educated on why WTO is better than this deal.

Leave a comment:

• Whorty
    replied
    Originally posted by Eirikur View Post
    Because the leave media is shouting the deal is the worst option you believe it?
    No deal brexit is the worst option, the deal is the second worst, remain the best
    But, but, but, the Daily Wail and the Express tell me this is bad, and we're being bullied, and the EU is evil, and, and, and, everything .... I'm scared, I don't know what to do, where's my hero Jacob and his Nanny to tell me what I should do next?

Leave a comment:

• Whorty
    replied
    Originally posted by original PM View Post
    Not sure allegedly is needed here - he was a peado.
    It's still allegedly as he was never convicted. All the evidence suggests he was what he was allegedly accused of, and there is overwhelming evidence that he would likely have been found guilty, but it remains allegedly due to the number of allegations but no convictions.

Leave a comment:

• Eirikur
    replied
    Seems by the social media postings of my local MP (Conservative) they will be supporting the PM's withdrawal bill.
    I'd rather they didn't. I did think about sending them a letter to suggest otherwise, but what's the point ... it won't change their view.

May's plan seems the worst option, and again just kicks the can down the road as has happened all through this sorry saga.

Pick any one of these, I'm not bothered. But May's plan looks a right shower.

If we do have another referendum, I think I'll ask my 10yo which way to vote and go with that...
    Because the leave media is shouting the deal is the worst option you believe it?
    No deal brexit is the worst option, the deal is the second worst, remain the best

Leave a comment:

• original PM
    replied
    But what's the point. They've made their mind up already.
    I could say I will exercise my right and not vote for them again if they do vote for the bill.
    But this is a conservative stronghold seat. I reckon even Jimmy Saville could stand as the Conservative rep and get elected (clearly he couldn't, ... as he's dead. and a paedo (allegedly) but maybe you get the drift...)
    Not sure allegedly is needed here - he was a peado.

Leave a comment:

• Cirrus
    replied
    But this is a conservative stronghold seat. I reckon even Jimmy Saville could stand as the Conservative rep and get elected (clearly he couldn't, ... as he's dead. and a paedo (allegedly) but maybe you get the drift...)
    Well done Spoiler, you've got straight to the nub of the problem. So many others have posted pages and pages of academic speculation about right and wrong , good and bad etc.

The only difference between you and me is my ballot paper could actually have Jimmy Saville on it, dead or alive.

The Tories put a bomb the size of Africa up their anal passage and lit the blue touch paper before thinking what would happen next. Now they can't go back. And they can't go forward. The situation is so dire everyone is frozen with fear.

It's a classic deathmarch. Everyone just has to keep going. Some may survive; some may die but there's nothing anyone can do to stop it all.

And for us? We can do nothing apart from watch the drama unfold.

Leave a comment:

• meridian
    replied
    But what's the point. They've made their mind up already.
    I could say I will exercise my right and not vote for them again if they do vote for the bill.
    Sorry, there’s not much we can say that will make you feel better. Your constituency has voted them in to make decisions on your behalf. As you say, you can always not vote for them the next time around. That’s democracy for you, where if you don’t like the decision of who your MP is you get to vote again a short time later.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X