• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Excellent summary of why one MP will not vote for the Brexit withdrawal agreement

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by shaunbhoy View Post
    I am sure that much the same arguments were made against the abolition of slavery by reactionary dimwits like you......all that extra paperwork to do etc.

The slave owners were compensated and not the slaves.About 19 billion in todays money and the slaves still had to work another 2 years.

Sent from my SM-A320FL using Contractor UK Forum mobile app

Comment

Slavery was a bad idea to start with and still is a bad idea, but at least Sean was able to twist an answer that was pointing out how a Brexit MP points out that Brexit is just going to drag on and on - back into one of his “let’s change the subject, I’ve lost more battles of wit than the French have wars”

Sent from my iPad using Contractor UK Forum
      …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Originally posted by Brussels Slumdog View Post
        The slave owners were compensated and not the slaves.About 19 billion in todays money and the slaves still had to work another 2 years.

Sent from my SM-A320FL using Contractor UK Forum mobile app
        Take the emotion out of it - those slave owners purchased those slaves legitimately on a legal market - if retrospective legislation comes in which devalues your asset you are entitled to compensation.

Also remember those slaves were probably born as slaves and lived most of their lives as slaves and they were bought on the legal slave markets.

The compensation they get was emancipation.

Comment

The smart money is on the deal going through.

Markets assume the deal will go through on a second reading

When that happens the lyric in Rule Britannia "Britons never, never, never shall be slaves." will need to be revisited.

My advice is enjoy the short period of freedom after the first vote next week, and sing Rule Britannia whilst it's still valid.

I'm alright Jack

Comment

Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
            The smart money is on the deal going through.

Markets assume the deal will go through on a second reading

When that happens the lyric in Rule Britannia "Britons never, never, never shall be slaves." will need to be revisited.

My advice is enjoy the short period of freedom after the first vote next week, and sing Rule Britannia whilst it's still valid.

You believe what an economist said?

Maybe you should try getting 10 opinions. Just ask 9 economists.

Comment

Working...
            X