• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Excellent summary of why one MP will not vote for the Brexit withdrawal agreement

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Excellent summary of why one MP will not vote for the Brexit withdrawal agreement

Brexit - Statement on the draft Withdrawal Agreement

Obviously I can't imagine any Remainers here will bother reading it, but if they do I'd be interested in what parts of it they consider wrong-headed given where we are now.
    Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post

Obviously I can't imagine any Remainers here will bother reading it, but if they do I'd be interested in what parts of it they consider wrong-headed given where we are now.
    The writer contradicts herself. Firstly she criticises the deal as not being legally binding but then she goes on to claim that the UK cannot legally leave the deal without permission from the EU.
    "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

however I believe a clear majority of constituents understood the choices before them at the ballot box both in 2016 and 2017 and rightly expect those choices to be delivered upon
      I don't think they did...

Julia Lopez voted against an energy price cap; against a properly resourced industrial strategy; against maintaining the benefits of the European Single Market and Customs Union; against maintaining the existing rights of EU nationals living in the UK and EU nationals living in the EU; against increased funding of public services; against scrapping university tuition fees; against restoring Education Maintenance Allowance, maintenance grants and nurses’ bursaries; against ending the public sector pay cap and against increasing the minimum wage.
      S
      Although it's okay for her British-Australian (born in El Salvador) husband...
      Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

Holding a democratic vote is undemocratic.

Just one of the many contradictions of Brexit. Yeah sure it would be difficult to win a second time because the consequences of Brexit are lying all over the floor.
        I'm alright Jack

Comment

Sorry I'm not replying with the usual glut of cartoons and animations, but using text, I hope those who voted for Brexit are able to understand.

Paragraph 3:
          On 29 March 2019, therefore, we shall technically leave the EU but enter straight into a transition/implementation period in which we shall be negotiating the future relationship. Since we do not know to what we are transitioning, I suspect the transition period will simply give us at least another eighteen months of political discord, confusion and parliamentary antics as the various factions vie for their desired outcome. Far from giving certainty to business, it will therefore merely delay vital decisions about our economic future.
          After the months of campaigning about Brexit and the 28 months since the referendum, for someone who is pro-Brexit to admit that they "do not know" and that it will lead to "discord", "confusion" and uncertainty for businesses.

You're right, it's an excellent summary of why Brexit was a bad idea to start off with, and why it is still a bad idea.
          …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post
            Brexit was a bad idea to start off with, and why it is still a bad idea.
            I am sure that much the same arguments were made against the abolition of slavery by reactionary dimwits like you......all that extra paperwork to do etc.

“The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Comment

Some of it is okay. Some of it is contradictory waffle.

Colleagues have been assured throughout this process that ‘nothing would be agreed until everything is agreed’. I have always taken that to mean that no money would be handed over, nothing ultimately settled, until we had nailed down a binding legal agreement on the future relationship.
              More fool her for believing her lying colleagues, she should have simply read A50. There is no requirement for a binding legal agreement on the future relationship for the UK to leave.

If either side wished to withdraw from the backstop arrangement, they would not be able to do so unilaterally.
              I know also from my work on the International Trade Committee that technological and other solutions already exist to ensure no border infrastructure is required, and colleagues have long ago outlined these proposals to government.
              If she already has the answer, perhaps she should have told her colleagues in the DExEU? If technological and other solutions already exist, then there is no need for the backstop to be triggered, and therefore the second half of her waffle is, well, waffle.

So, we know what she doesn't want (this WA and Chequers). What does she actually want, then? What is her version of the Withdrawal Agreement?

Brexiters are like a Product Owner that refuses to provide detailed requirements, waits for a lot of work to be completed, then just says "I don't want that" without giving any more detail on what they do want.

Comment

Another Brexit thread with a typical pattern: Brexiters shown to be thick as mince.
                Hard Brexit now!
                #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
                  Another Brexit thread with a typical pattern: The crux of the contention passing way over my empty little head because I am as thick as mince.
                  ftfy

“The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Comment

Originally posted by shaunbhoy View Post
                    ftfy

QED.
                    Hard Brexit now!
                    #prayfornodeal

Comment

Working...
                    X