• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

How about we do a merger with the Republic of Ireland?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by GJABS View Post

At the moment, around 40% of Irish people are in favour of leaving the EU, according to the last poll in 2012 I think, and that figure is rising.?
    Not according to this picture

Comment

Originally posted by Whorty View Post
      I know the Irish enough to know they would rather die than join with England.
      The only Irish people you know must be dinosaur sectarian bigots who have not left that 20th century. In the real world most Irish people would be very happy to join a union with any other country that serves their interests, values, and aspirations.

Comment

The only Irish people you know must be dinosaur sectarian bigots who have not left that 20th century. In the real world most Irish people would be very happy to join a union with any other country that serves their interests, values, and aspirations.
        Yes they do and it's called the European Union whereas the United Kingdom will re-introduce colonial rule over their provinces which is not something any Irish people are waiting for (except for some religious DUP freaks)

Comment

Originally posted by Eirikur View Post
          Yes they do and it's called the European Union whereas the United Kingdom will re-introduce colonial rule over their provinces which is not something any Irish people are waiting for (except for some religious DUP freaks)
          The power of the EU over Ireland far more resembles "colonial rule" than any administration that Britain could invent. A colony in effect, of Germany.

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk

Comment

Ireland is colony of Gemany

Comment

The power of the EU over Ireland far more resembles "colonial rule" than any administration that Britain could invent. A colony in effect, of Germany.

Are you kidding me - I grew up in Ireland during the 'Troubles' a Hard border will reintroduce the 'troubles' - Obvious that many on here have no idea of the 'Irish History'

Comment

Originally posted by Aki1 View Post
                Are you kidding me - I grew up in Ireland during the 'Troubles' a Hard border will reintroduce the 'troubles' - Obvious that many on here have no idea of the 'Irish History'
                All the more reason then for Ireland to leave the EU, and join a union with us.

Comment

Originally posted by Aki1 View Post
                  If you're younger than 40 then your exposure to "the Trouble" was limited to which ever gang was selling drugs on another's turf.

As for "Irish History", care to give an to answer a question or two?

Can we start with "When did the English invade Ireland?"
                  Old Greg - In search of acceptance since Mar 2007. Hoping each leap will be his last.

Comment

Well, that rules out England then.
                    …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post
                      Well, that rules out England then.
                      Really? And what pray tell is it about the culture of England that you think would not be agreeable with Ireland? I hope you're not suggesting the Irish are racist would you, by any chance?

Comment

Working...
                      X