• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Cataclysm of Brexit 'could lead to Welsh independence'

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Eirikur View Post
    So you are saying England is a nett contributor to Scotland similar to the EU? So why do brexiteers want to leave the EU but not the UK?
    Shared close history & culture, over hundreds of years.
    Shared bloodlines/marriages over border lines.
    Shared language (just about ).
    Nuke storage.

There are other reasons, but this will suffice for now.
    Originally posted by Old Greg
    I admit I'm just a lazy, lying cretinous hypocrite and must be going deaf
    ♕Keep calm & carry on♕

Comment

Originally posted by Bean View Post
      Shared close history & culture, over hundreds of years.
      Shared bloodlines/marriages over border lines.
      Those first two apply to Germany and France.
      Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by Bean View Post
        Shared language (just about ).
        Nuke storage.
        Shared language applies to Ireland as well and English is a Germanic language related to Dutch, German, Norwegian, Danish Icelandic, Faroese and Swedish
        Nuke storage is mostly on board of submarines

Comment

The Welsh devolution referendum was won on 50.3%

I think they need a re-run as they probably didn't know what they were voting for and it wasn't a clear majority, it was probably only advisory too and some old people might have died.

Comment

Shared language applies to Ireland as well and English is a Germanic language related to Dutch, German, Norwegian, Danish Icelandic, Faroese and Swedish
            No, it is not.
            Old Greg - In search of acceptance since Mar 2007. Hoping each leap will be his last.

Comment

Originally posted by Mordac View Post
              He's saying he'll "promise" a vote on independence, nothing about EU membership (which, like Scotland, probably won't be available to an independent Wales anyway). If you can't spot a bit of opportunistic headline-grabbing when it's shoved in front of you, the you'd best stay away from the grown-up debate, as it's clearly not your bag old fruit...
              You can join Plaid Cymru for free this year to show support

JOIN PLAID CYMRU FOR FREE - The Party of Wales

Of course Scotland and Wales would be welcome in the EU. More and more of the EU recognise that small independence nations can add a lot to the EU. Scotland has fantastic natural resources so it would be silly to think they wouldn't be accepted. In fact, it is those natural resources that Westminster is fighting so hard to hold onto. The union is finished though and ironically it's the Conservative and Unionist Party that killed it off.

Irish senator Neale Richmond says an independent Scotland would be welcomed back into EU | The National

Comment

The difficulty of the nukes is they are transported by road from the sub base in Scotland to northern England and back for maintenance, sometimes running through small villages and towns.

That might be about to change because the SNP passed a resolution at conference to give local authorities the power to block the convoys.

SNP Backs Call to Block Nuclear Convoys in Scotland - Campaign for Nuclear Disarmament

Comment

Originally posted by Batcher View Post
                  The difficulty of the nukes is they are transported by road from the sub base in Scotland to northern England and back for maintenance, sometimes running through small villages and towns.

That might be about to change because the SNP passed a resolution at conference to give local authorities the power to block the convoys.

SNP Backs Call to Block Nuclear Convoys in Scotland - Campaign for Nuclear Disarmament
                  Erm, Burghfield and Aldermaston are not (the last time I looked) in the North of England.

Coulport is not a sub base, it is a "Nuclear Store" or "Safe".

I'm willing to be corrected.
                  Old Greg - In search of acceptance since Mar 2007. Hoping each leap will be his last.

Comment

So you are saying England is a nett contributor to Scotland similar to the EU? So why do brexiteers want to leave the EU but not the UK?

I'm not saying that, the figures prove it.

I personally don't mind if Scotland gets independence but it sort of makes sense that we work together as the UK.
                    The EU however gets to rule us so I'm not keen.
                    Last edited by vetran; 10 October 2018, 15:06.
                    Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by Batcher View Post
                      You can join Plaid Cymru for free this year to show support

JOIN PLAID CYMRU FOR FREE - The Party of Wales

Of course Scotland and Wales would be welcome in the EU. More and more of the EU recognise that small independence nations can add a lot to the EU. Scotland has fantastic natural resources so it would be silly to think they wouldn't be accepted. In fact, it is those natural resources that Westminster is fighting so hard to hold onto. The union is finished though and ironically it's the Conservative and Unionist Party that killed it off.

Irish senator Neale Richmond says an independent Scotland would be welcomed back into EU | The National
                      You do realize that not every country in the EU can take out more than they put in - because obviously that would not work (even my basic math is good enough for this)

So I wonder what Germany and France will want in return for free money?

Comment

Working...
                      X