• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Penny dropping for Dales farmers

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Hobosapien View Post
    beard oil, weekly new tattoo, ...
    That reminds me, must book in my next tattoo

As a hipster I tend to use beard wax rather than oil - keeps it nicely in check as I spin around the countryside on my fixie
    I am what I drink, and I'm a bitter man

Comment

Originally posted by shaunbhoy View Post
      And in other news, we are a nation of 65 million that is unable to be self-sufficient in terms of food supply (allegedly). Here's a radical idea. How about not bothering to export their Lamb and simply selling them locally? No need to worry about tariffs or expensive shipping costs either. Simples.
      Same goes for any and all other food produce they might care to grow or breed.

Typical negative Bremoaner nonsense. We Brexiteers see opportunity, you lot just see problems that can't be tackled.

Good job we are doing the leading and you are doing the following eh?

Now back under your comfort blankets the lot of you.

You do realise that the farming communities voted out and that these are Brexiters moaning. They were warned this before the ref but chose to listen to the leave lies instead.

Coming back to bite them now

Not going to be a positive outcome for more rural areas like Devon - local economies are going to suffer .... oops
      I am what I drink, and I'm a bitter man

Comment

How will the sheep industry remember 2017? - AHDB Beef & Lamb

we could always go after the biggest customer in the world - China.

Yes we do export cheaper cuts to emerging markets.

Beef and Lamb Matters: Why the UK imports lamb from New Zealand
        Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

I'm sick of this bulltulip talk about us being self-sufficient.
          We've never been self-sufficient for food.
          Not even during WWII. Anyone on here remember rationing? And that was with boatloads of food (and guns 'n' ammo) coming from USA.
          See You Next Tuesday

Comment

"At the time [1973 just before joining the EU], the UK was only circa 40 per cent self sufficient [in sheep]"

"From 1972 to 1999, the UK sheep flock grew from 27.9 million head to 44.7 million head, with the UK’s self sufficiency rate increasing to 95 per cent to coincide with increasing production. Increasing production drove rising UK export volumes and, despite a fall in the 2000s, today the UK exports around 100,000 tonnes."

Interesting link.
            So prior to joining the EU the UK was much LESS self-sufficient (in sheep)
            Looks like the EU has been good for sheep-farming in the UK.
            Last edited by sasguru; 19 September 2018, 10:07.
            Hard Brexit now!
            #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by Lance View Post
              Not even during WWII. Anyone on here remember rationing? And that was with boatloads of food (and guns 'n' ammo) coming from USA.
              True not since the 19th Century at least. But that's where Brexiters want to go. We can replace car factories with hand-looms.
              Hard Brexit now!
              #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
                "At the time [1973 just before joining the EU], the UK was only circa 40 per cent self sufficient [in sheep]"

"From 1972 to 1999, the UK sheep flock grew from 27.9 million head to 44.7 million head, with the UK’s self sufficiency rate increasing to 95 per cent to coincide with increasing production. Increasing production drove rising UK export volumes and, despite a fall in the 2000s, today the UK exports around 100,000 tonnes."

Interesting link.
                So prior to joining the EU the UK was much LESS self-sufficient (in sheep)
                Looks like the EU has been good for sheep-farming in the UK.
                so is that caused by the EU if so show how?

https://www.nytimes.com/1990/09/17/w...urns-ugly.html

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...ious-turn.html

If not it is the government so we would have done it anyway.

What was it you feckwits used to trot out when you didn't understand statistics oh yes.

correlation does not imply causation
                I assumed you had read it in a cracker as you obviously don't understand it.

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
                  True not since the 19th Century at least. But that's where Brexiters want to go. We can replace car factories with hand-looms.
                  as per the link we are nearly self sufficient in Sheep.

https://assets.publishing.service.go...se-07apr16.pdf

76% overall.

Comment

It's the repeal of the corn laws all over again again.

And if there's so much fecking lamb about how come it's so fecking expensive?

Anyway, as soon as it gets to surrender monkey country they set the lorries on fire with increasing regularity.
                    When the fun stops, STOP.

Comment

Originally posted by Lance View Post
                      you mean when the farmhands were abroad fighting a war and most raw materials such as fuel for tractors were in short supply?

The key issue was that we had run down agriculture because we can get our food cheaper from abroad. There is no reason we cannot be self sufficient.

https://www.populationmatters.org/do...tain_feeds.pdf

The change was initially resisted by many farmers who doubted its sustainability,
                      disliked using poisons and were unhappy to become dependent on large industrial companies, but
                      by the end of the 1950s most had been won over by financial incentives. Britain’s 6,000 year old
                      farming system was dropped and the great post-war chemical farming experiment – otherwise
                      known as the Green Revolution – began.
                      The experiment was superficially successful. Calculations soon revealed that, on a restricted diet,
                      Britain could be self-sufficient in food. Food imports dropped from around 50% in 1945 to 35% in1981
                      , a period when population growth added another 11 million people.
                      oh look nothing to do with the EU.

Comment

Working...
                      X