• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.

Any UK Contractors in the EU expecting Brexit pain?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Any UK Contractors in the EU expecting Brexit pain?

    Hi All,

    Do we have any UK Contractors out in the EU that are trying to figure out what to do in order to stay in their country of choice after Brexit? I've been in sunny Holland now since March, all registered with the Town Hall, health insurance and so on, then... Brexit,

    I won't have been here for 5 years, come end of transition but my family are all settled. Heck, I'll even give up contracting and get a nice permie job if it means not going back - its not that I have a problem with the UK, but my family genuinely love The Hague. My Limited is in the UK but I can change that easily enough.

    Anyone want to put their $0.02 in?

    Thanks,
    Chris.

    #2
    Originally posted by cdtaylor3 View Post
    Hi All,

    Do we have any UK Contractors out in the EU that are trying to figure out what to do in order to stay in their country of choice after Brexit? I've been in sunny Holland now since March, all registered with the Town Hall, health insurance and so on, then... Brexit,

    I won't have been here for 5 years, come end of transition but my family are all settled. Heck, I'll even give up contracting and get a nice permie job if it means not going back - its not that I have a problem with the UK, but my family genuinely love The Hague. My Limited is in the UK but I can change that easily enough.

    Anyone want to put their $0.02 in?

    Thanks,
    Sorry mate, but none of us (Brits in EU, EU in U.K.) have a clear picture on what will be required come 29th March.

    Assume at least some form of visa system, and that your right to move to any other EU country will be removed.

    The final details should be known by October, but given that this government doesn’t know what it wants, only has three months to finalise and then negotiate/agree, and is currently planning on taking two of those months off for Summer recess, I wouldn’t be hopeful of having much more clarity then either.

    Comment


      #3
      Originally posted by cdtaylor3 View Post
      Anyone want to put their $0.02 in?
      €0.02 surely?
      Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

      Comment


        #4
        I miss the f50 with the sunflower. Bring back the funny money!
        Back to business!

        Comment


          #5
          even if they do decide this autumn, we have no idea when it would become effective due to an open-ended transition period.
          See You Next Tuesday

          Comment


            #6
            Originally posted by Lance View Post
            even if they do decide this autumn, we have no idea when it would become effective due to an open-ended transition period.
            The transitional period will last from Brexit day on 29 March 2019 to 31 December 2020
            Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

            Comment


              #7
              Originally posted by darmstadt View Post
              The transitional period will last from Brexit day on 29 March 2019 to 31 December 2020
              At which point it will be extended by another period of 12 months on a rolling annual basis. Probably.
              England's greatest sailor since Nelson lost the armada.

              Comment


                #8
                Forgot to mention:

                - you’ll still have the right to cross borders (eg NL to DE) to visit, under Schengen. You just won’t be able to work. Probably.
                - whether 5 years matters or not is still not known.
                - whether you’re permanent of contracting won’t make a difference initially, but if there is a visa system based on work and you lose a contract, you may not be entitled to benefits and you may lose your visa after a couple of months.

                The government has helpfully voted for the ERG amendments last night which makes a deal nearly impossible now, so it’s leaning towards either No Brexit or No Deal.

                If it’s No Deal (the preferred ERG/government option) then all bets are off. Make sure you’ve stockpiled plenty of tinned food, and don’t book any flights for after 29th March.

                Comment


                  #9
                  Applying for a passport in my resident country (Germany - been here almost 8 years). For me it is more important I can continue working in members states from Germany than just Germany alone, such is our situation.

                  No one knows what is going to happen but our family has all agreed it is better to act and protect ourselves rather than let the idiots in Westminster do that for us.
                  "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

                  Comment


                    #10
                    Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
                    Applying for a passport in my resident country (Germany - been here almost 8 years). For me it is more important I can continue working in members states from Germany than just Germany alone, such is our situation.

                    No one knows what is going to happen but our family has all agreed it is better to act and protect ourselves rather than let the idiots in Westminster do that for us.
                    Will you renounce your Scottish (British) citizenship, once the UK leaves?
                    Originally posted by Old Greg
                    I admit I'm just a lazy, lying cretinous hypocrite and must be going deaf
                    ♕Keep calm & carry on♕

                    Comment

                    Working...
                    X