• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Brexit BOOM

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TestMangler View Post
    Ha. Proper PM's do plans in Excel......
    I tend to use a fag packet
    I am what I drink, and I'm a bitter man

Comment

Originally posted by Whorty View Post
      I tend to use a fag packet
      Which brand?

Comment

Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
        Correct. It is known that reality hasn't yet dawned for the cretins.
        FTFY

Comment

Originally posted by BR14 View Post
          Which brand?
          Lucky Strike ..... gives management confidence in my PM skills

Comment

Originally posted by unixman View Post
            "All of us" who lost the referendum ?
            No, all of us, including Leavers and Remainers, who keep up with the news.

That attitude will go down great with the welders in Sunderland. Can I bring pop corn ?
            Course you can, poppet. You can bring your husband, too, if the thought of having a conversation with welders is making you a bit weak.

The trouble is, this is always going to translate to: "I want to re-run the referendum because my side lost, dammit". It sounds like it to me, here in Milton Keynes. It will sound even more like it the Birtley CIU club.
            I don't have much doubt that that will be what it sounds like up there either, but tough discussions have to be made to make sure everyone understands what the final outcome will be and what the impact is on them. It would be negligent of a government to do otherwise (imo)

A democratic vote is nothing like buying a house. For confirmation, see any UK vote in the last 100 years. You will find no precedent for anything you are advocating. Parallels will be found however, in the electoral histories of Zimbabwe, Iran, where they have form for "cancelling a vote for the good of the people"...
            You will find no precedent for the 2016 referendum - a question with no plan. You will though find examples of referendums being rerun where the public were not informed enough the first time around.

Comment

Originally posted by meridian View Post
              You will though find examples of referendums being rerun where the public were not informed enough the first time around.
              Where are all these Leave voters that now claim to have been misinformed?

Comment

Originally posted by The_Equalizer View Post
                In hiding for fear of being called a quisling by the right wing MSM
                Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

Originally posted by The_Equalizer View Post
                  No idea, you’re the one that has said “misinformed”, I said “not informed enough”.

But as you’ve said “misinformed”, how about £350m on the side of a bus, or Turkey joining the EU, or ‘easiest trade deal in history’, or access to the SM ‘on the same basis that we currently have’, or ‘frictionless trade’, or ‘tariffs on products from poor countries in Africa’, or ‘go whistle’, or ‘the day after the vote the EU will be begging for a trade deal’, or ‘nobody is talking about threatening our place in the single market’, or ‘we’ll be forced to join an EU army’, or ‘there will be no problem with the Irish border’, or ‘we can’t control our borders in the EU’, or ‘we will replace EU funding of poor regions with funding from central government’, or ‘outside of the EU we will prioritise visas for Bangladeshi cooks’, etc etc....

The Leave campaign played a blinder, they were able to promise all things to all people and refused to offer any plan to reconcile that. Now that reality has hit and we know the impact, if everyone is still keen to leave regardless then at least the people will be better informed on the consequences.

Comment

No idea, you’re the one that has said “misinformed”, I said “not informed enough”.

But as you’ve said “misinformed”, how about £350m on the side of a bus, or Turkey joining the EU, or ‘easiest trade deal in history’, or access to the SM ‘on the same basis that we currently have’, or ‘frictionless trade’, or ‘tariffs on products from poor countries in Africa’, or ‘go whistle’, or ‘the day after the vote the EU will be begging for a trade deal’, or ‘nobody is talking about threatening our place in the single market’, or ‘we’ll be forced to join an EU army’, or ‘there will be no problem with the Irish border’, or ‘we can’t control our borders in the EU’, or ‘we will replace EU funding of poor regions with funding from central government’, or ‘outside of the EU we will prioritise visas for Bangladeshi cooks’, etc etc....

The Leave campaign played a blinder, they were able to promise all things to all people and refused to offer any plan to reconcile that. Now that reality has hit and we know the impact, if everyone is still keen to leave regardless then at least the people will be better informed on the consequences.
                    Obviously it's not Best for Britain.

Comment

No, all of us, including Leavers and Remainers, who keep up with the news.
                      The ones promulgating this "news" and viewpoint are overwhelmingly are the same people who lost the referendum.

Course you can, poppet. You can bring your husband, too, if the thought of having a conversation with welders is making you a bit weak.
                      This is exactly the way Continuity Remain talks to Leave voters. People in the North East are friendly but they don't take kindly to having been called obese xenophobes for the last 2 years. I have stood in a room full of Gateshead fitters, and while some are indeed, er, slightly corpulent (sorry lads), gormless racists they certainly are not. Some remain hardliners think the fitters will accept both the cancellation of their winning votes and being called uneducated grunts. I submit that such an acceptance is unlikely. How will you convince them, water cannon ?

I don't have much doubt that that will be what it sounds like up there either, but tough discussions have to be made to make sure everyone understands what the final outcome will be and what the impact is on them. It would be negligent of a government to do otherwise (imo)
                      And you think the winning side will accept this ? Why should they? I would like a replay of the 1974 FA cup final, ("now that we know what the full impact is likely to be" etc). Are the citizens of Liverpool likely to agree to this ? Sunderland welders are in favour.

You will find no precedent for the 2016 referendum - a question with no plan. You will though find examples of referendums being rerun where the public were not informed enough the first time around.
                      "question with no plan" etc. etc. Ugh. The question was well known long before the referendum and nobody raised a qualm. Nor did the losing side object in the aftermath, taking the defeat sadly but with good grace. I understand remainers' disappointment at the referendum, and their alarm at the consequences, but trying to convince yourselves, by rationalization or circuitous argument, that its okay to renege on a national democratic vote, is not the answer. And there is certainly no parallel to be found in the annals if UK democratic history, including the 1975 referendum.

On a wider subject, questioning the outcome of a democratic vote is of course a very dangerous thing to do, because it automatically invites into question the outcome of every other democratic vote. Perhaps not in your eyes, but in the eyes of your opponents and potential extremists among them. You query the referendum, I question the general election. You say the referendum vote wasn't binding, I (devil's advocate) say the UK government is illegitimate ...and so it carries on, into unthinkable territory.

Comment

Working...
                      X