• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Some Tory voters will accept Jeremy Corbyn becoming prime minister

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by malvolio View Post
    Except (a) he can't reverse Brexit, merely renegotiate the terms under which it happens, (b) if we get another election between now and whatever time it would take to get a Brexit reversal through Parliament it would be a f***ing miracle and (c) the damage his party (not him, he's just an idiot savant figurehead) would do would be far worse than going with Brexit, even in its current confused state. But what do I know of ineffective Labour governments with a left wing agenda...

But it's not going to happen; he would need to persuade quite a few Tories plus the DUP who have no time for him anyway, given his avowed support for the IRA.
    Except
    a) if a Labour coalition won a landslide then they could reverse Brexit if they so choose. Whether that would happen wouldn't be up to Corbyn but the Labour paymasters. More likely they would go for a Norway or Swiss style Brexit which I could live with

b) if the Tories don't get a Brexit deal that gets through parliament, and that means their own back bench remainers can vote for, then it is very easy to see this government collapse and another GE before the transition period ends. In this scenario the Tories would be trounced

c) I lived through the 70s so I'm well aware of the dangers of a left wing Labour government. It destroyed the car and steel industry in the area I grew up in resulting in my dad being out of work for the large part of my childhood with the poverty that it brought our family. The families of today have no idea of the poverty that was around in the 70s and what families like mine went through. Joining the EU and no longer being the poor man of Europe changed this country for the better. This is why I've gone through my life unwilling to support a Labour government backed by unions. However, even I would give up this principle of mine to reverse Brexit, or at least to reduce the possibility of a hard brexit that only delusional xenophobes and rich Tory toffs seem to want.
    I am what I drink, and I'm a bitter man

Comment

Originally posted by Whorty View Post
      I've never voted Labour in all my life, even though I grew up in a Labour heartland. Up until recently I'd always voted Tory but that changed after Brexit. Would I now vote Labour if I thought it would reverse Brexit ..... 100% yes! My wife and I discussed this very thing about 3 weeks ago and even though we thought was unpalatable to us it is the least worse of 2 evils.

Better Jezza for 5 years than Brexit for god knows how many years and all the damage that will bring to my country. I am ashamed of my countrymen who voted Brexit and their hate filled speech and xenophobia on social media.
      You do appreciate that a) Labour support brexit and b) Jezza actually is a brexiteer...
      http://www.cih.org/news-article/disp...housing_market

Comment

Originally posted by PurpleGorilla View Post
        You do appreciate that a) Labour support brexit and b) Jezza actually is a brexiteer...
        Yes I appreciate that
        a) Labour won't deliver a hard Brexit that will cripple the country and is only of any value to tax dodging Tory scum and instead will offer a Norway or Swiss style Brexit that protects those areas of the country who will be well and truely shafted by a hard Brexit

b) Jezza will do whatever he is told to do by Momentum and the unions so his personal view is irrelevant

Comment

Originally posted by Whorty View Post
          Yes I appreciate that
          a) Labour won't deliver a hard Brexit that will cripple the country and is only of any value to tax dodging Tory scum and instead will offer a Norway or Swiss style Brexit that protects those areas of the country who will be well and truely shafted by a hard Brexit

b) Jezza will do whatever he is told to do by Momentum and the unions so his personal view is irrelevant
          Labour will deliver a hard Brexit, it's core voters outside the metropolitan heartlands want this and Labour isn't New Labour any more but old, and they'll screw the Country through economic mismanagement based on a belief in the magic money tree, nothing to do with Brexit.

I assume from your rabid dislike of Brexit that you want to be in a federal Europe and controlled by an EU elite? Well I'm the opposite in that I want to live in the wider world as a citizen of an independent and forward looking UK dealing on a world wide basis under its own auspices. The EU will disintegrate and its federal dream will crumble. I'd rather be a spectator of that rather than suffering as a victim of it

Comment

Except (a) he can't reverse Brexit, merely renegotiate the terms under which it happens, (b) if we get another election between now and whatever time it would take to get a Brexit reversal through Parliament it would be a f***ing miracle...
            Funny - if Parliament hadn't had a vote on it, it'd probably be easier to reverse.
            Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by tazdevil View Post
              Labour will deliver a hard Brexit, it's core voters outside the metropolitan heartlands want this and Labour isn't New Labour any more but old, and they'll screw the Country through economic mismanagement based on a belief in the magic money tree, nothing to do with Brexit.

I assume from your rabid dislike of Brexit that you want to be in a federal Europe and controlled by an EU elite? Well I'm the opposite in that I want to live in the wider world as a citizen of an independent and forward looking UK dealing on a world wide basis under its own auspices. The EU will disintegrate and its federal dream will crumble. I'd rather be a spectator of that rather than suffering as a victim of it
              Rabid is term better suited to Brexit supporters in relation to their dislike of Europe. Like I said, although I voted remain I could live with a Norway or Swiss version of Brexit. So how is this a rabid aversion to Brexit? It's leave voters who don't want to compromise and are rabid in their reactions. Social media, the press and the death threats to those who don't agree with then is testament to that. But hey, you're a brexit supporter, don't let facts get in the way of your distorted view of reality.

Comment

Originally posted by tazdevil View Post

I assume from your rabid love of straw men that you are an idiot.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladyuk View Post
                  I assume from your rabid love of straw men that you are an idiot.
                  You do know what a strawman is I assume?

What Tazdevil is posting is an alternative opinion or otherwise a counter-argument. You may have heard of them. they're the things you ignore rather than challenge.

HTH. BIDI
                  Blog? What blog...?

Comment

You do know what a strawman is I assume?

What Tazdevil is posting is an alternative opinion or otherwise a counter-argument. You may have heard of them. they're the things you ignore rather than challenge.

HTH. BIDI
                    Having read the post I don'think it is a counter argument, possibly more of an opinion but in reality it's a statement of one person's own views.
                    Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

I assume from your rabid dislike of Brexit that you want to be in a federal Europe and controlled by an EU elite?
                      It's entirely possible to be very much against Brexit (thinking leaving the EU is the worst action the UK has taken in decades) and not favour a federal Europe. Or even to favour a federal Europe and believe it won't be controlled by an EU elite, but a free and democratic political system. So, perhaps not strawman, but maybe false dichotomy, or ridiculous extreme. Silly, anyway.

Well I'm the opposite in that I want to live in the wider world as a citizen of an independent and forward looking UK dealing on a world wide basis under its own auspices.
                      This bit is ideology. And this bit
                      The EU will disintegrate and its federal dream will crumble.
                      is the alternative opinon.
                      Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Working...
                      X