• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Sound familiar ?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by meridian View Post
    You don’t have to talk to expats (don’t you mean UK immigrants ;-) ) to get that view, there are plenty here in the U.K. that would also say that. My question, though, was what is the evidence behind their rhetoric? In what way are the EU behaving like bullies? Are they beating anyone up behind the bike sheds and nicking their dabs?
    No they are expats or temporary migrants to Belgium I guess.

Not sure why they see Barnier as a bully. Perhaps on the occasions he has over extended his brief? Personally I expected nothing less from the EU than the protectionism they are understandably making.

TBH I think pay to play in the Single Market - without FOM would be a least bad option all round.

This is paying for the cake and eating it.
    http://www.cih.org/news-article/disp...housing_market

Comment

Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
      Nigel Farage calls for second referendum to shut Bremoaners up once and for all

ha

I imagine up until election day the polls will be in their favour.

I reckon Farage has misjudged this, and risks playing into die-hard Remainers' hands.

My impression is that by now most Remainers, besides laughably and delusionally misguided people like Tony Blair and that hysterical Lord Adonis guy, are resigned to Brexit, especially as it doesn't seem as bad as many feared.
      Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Originally posted by meridian View Post
        Is it?

What have the EU done? Sent an army in? Threatened sanctions? ...
        What they've done, and what everyone knows they've done, is refuse to start discussing trade until the UK agrees to a vast, £40 billion plus, financial settlement.

That will go down like a lead balloon at a time when the NHS is supposed to be stretched to breaking point

And there's little evidence they will compromise in the slightest on freedom of movement, which was a large factor, probably the main one, in the Brexit win.
        Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
          What they've done, and what everyone knows they've done, is refuse to start discussing trade until the UK agrees to a vast, £40 billion plus, financial settlement.

That will go down like a lead balloon at a time when the NHS is supposed to be stretched to breaking point

And there's little evidence they will compromise in the slightest on freedom of movement, which was a large factor, probably the main one, in the Brexit win.
          Eh? They laid out the framework for the sequencing of talks, and Davis agreed to it without question.

£40 billion is the financial settlement for already-agreed-to commitments. It’s what the U.K. legally owes. It’s not payable up front, so the NHS crisis this winter is nothing to do with it. And, as we are so often reminded, the slogan on the side of the bus was a suggestion, not a promise.

The U.K. has always had control over immigration, it just chose not to exercise it. If the EU insists that FoM is include in (say) a “Norway” style deal, then that’s what’s on offer, either accept it or walk. It’s a contract negotiation.

Comment

My impression is that by now most Remainers, besides laughably and delusionally misguided people like Tony Blair and that hysterical Lord Adonis guy, are resigned to Brexit, especially as it doesn't seem as bad as many feared.
            Your impression is very wrong

Comment

I reckon Farage has misjudged this, and risks playing into die-hard Remainers' hands.

It actually hasn't happened yet, the government kicked the can down the road after the referendum and are now kicking it even further down the road with a "Transition Deal" and lots of muddied noises about "a flexible transition" so that no-one is really sure whether the UK is actually going to leave.

The original predictions were that a Soft Brexit wouldn't make much difference. That is where most businesses think we're heading.

If the Brexit "nutjobs" do get the upper hand and the UK crashes out watch the economy tank.

I'm alright Jack

Comment

Originally posted by PurpleGorilla View Post
                No they are expats or temporary migrants to Belgium I guess.

Not sure why they see Barnier as a bully. Perhaps on the occasions he has over extended his brief? Personally I expected nothing less from the EU than the protectionism they are understandably making.

TBH I think pay to play in the Single Market - without FOM would be a least bad option all round.

This is paying for the cake and eating it.
                Without this Freedom of Movement?:

Comment

Well everyone but the dreary selection of misfits that congregate in THIS sub-forum, wailing and gnashing their teeth whilst vying to see who can come across as the gloomiest.

“The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Comment

Originally posted by shaunbhoy View Post
                    Well everyone but the dreary selection of misfits that congregate in THIS sub-forum, wailing and gnashing their teeth whilst vying to see who can come across as the gloomiest.

You've won that one
                    …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post
                      You've won that one
                      Gloomy? Moi? Shirley shome mishtake?

I'm a Leaver. We won......remember?

“The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Comment

Working...
                      X