• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Sound familiar ?

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Sound familiar ?"

Collapse

• darmstadt
    replied
    Sounds familiar? Yep...

Nigel Farage would 'pick up a rifle' if Brexit is not delivered | The Independent

Leave a comment:

• meridian
    replied
    Sound familiar ?

Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
    It's interesting that Nigel Farage wants another referendum, and it is because the outcome of the negotiations will be his worst nightmare as Britain ends up half-out of the EU.

Basically he wants a rerun of the GE which was a big f*** up and didn't deliver the majority the Tories needed for a "clean Brexit".

Lets face it, floundering half out of the EU is worst than being in.

It’s easy for him to say he wants another referendum, because it’s win/win for him.

“His” campaign will consist of shouting that the 2016 referendum has already been run and the ‘elites’ are not listening to you. He won’t need to bring up any other lies about immigration, the NHS, etc. He’ll also be in a strange position where the Maybot will need to defend Brexit and whatever ****up their deal is, and Corbyn going on holiday to avoid having to get off his fence.

- Any win for Brexit is a vindication for him and a chance for him to rub it in to the U.K. parliament (which he despises as he has failed so many times to get elected there)

- Any win for the status quo (ie remain) means that he can spend the next 20 years doing what he does best: not turning up to the European Parliament, moaning, getting his gob on the tv and in the papers but not actually doing anything constructive, and collecting his pay check and full pension

Leave a comment:

• BlasterBates
    replied
    It's interesting that Nigel Farage wants another referendum, and it is because the outcome of the negotiations will be his worst nightmare as Britain ends up half-out of the EU.

Basically he wants a rerun of the GE which was a big f*** up and didn't deliver the majority the Tories needed for a "clean Brexit".

Lets face it, floundering half out of the EU is worst than being in.

Leave a comment:

• meridian
    replied
    I think that broke the swear filter!

Leave a comment:

• northernladyuk
    replied
    Waterford Whispers
    Last edited by northernladyuk; 12 January 2018, 08:47.

Leave a comment:

• meridian
    replied
    Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
    Indeed.

However let's say there is a 2nd referendum. And its stay. Can A50 be untriggered?
    Slightly related, but I’d prefer not to see a 2nd referendum just yet.

More preferable would be an extension to A50 (rather than a transition period). This would mean that we stay in the EU for two more years, and would partake in the MEP elections in 2019. That might be rather interesting, to see if Farage keeps his EP seat, though with proportional representation he probably would. Pity. It would be fun to watch though.

Leave a comment:

• shaunbhoy
    replied
    Originally posted by WTFH View Post
    You've won that one
    Gloomy? Moi? Shirley shome mishtake?

I'm a Leaver. We won......remember?

Leave a comment:

• WTFH
    replied
    Originally posted by shaunbhoy View Post
    Well everyone but the dreary selection of misfits that congregate in THIS sub-forum, wailing and gnashing their teeth whilst vying to see who can come across as the gloomiest.

You've won that one

Leave a comment:

• shaunbhoy
    replied
    Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
    What they've done, and what everyone knows they've done, is refuse to start discussing trade until the UK agrees to a vast, £40 billion plus, financial settlement.
    Well everyone but the dreary selection of misfits that congregate in THIS sub-forum, wailing and gnashing their teeth whilst vying to see who can come across as the gloomiest.

Leave a comment:

• meridian
    replied
    Originally posted by PurpleGorilla View Post
    No they are expats or temporary migrants to Belgium I guess.

Not sure why they see Barnier as a bully. Perhaps on the occasions he has over extended his brief? Personally I expected nothing less from the EU than the protectionism they are understandably making.

TBH I think pay to play in the Single Market - without FOM would be a least bad option all round.

This is paying for the cake and eating it.
    Without this Freedom of Movement?:

Leave a comment:

• BlasterBates
    replied
    I reckon Farage has misjudged this, and risks playing into die-hard Remainers' hands.

My impression is that by now most Remainers, besides laughably and delusionally misguided people like Tony Blair and that hysterical Lord Adonis guy, are resigned to Brexit, especially as it doesn't seem as bad as many feared.
    It actually hasn't happened yet, the government kicked the can down the road after the referendum and are now kicking it even further down the road with a "Transition Deal" and lots of muddied noises about "a flexible transition" so that no-one is really sure whether the UK is actually going to leave.

The original predictions were that a Soft Brexit wouldn't make much difference. That is where most businesses think we're heading.

If the Brexit "nutjobs" do get the upper hand and the UK crashes out watch the economy tank.

Leave a comment:

• Eirikur
    replied
    My impression is that by now most Remainers, besides laughably and delusionally misguided people like Tony Blair and that hysterical Lord Adonis guy, are resigned to Brexit, especially as it doesn't seem as bad as many feared.
    Your impression is very wrong

Leave a comment:

• meridian
    replied
    What they've done, and what everyone knows they've done, is refuse to start discussing trade until the UK agrees to a vast, £40 billion plus, financial settlement.

That will go down like a lead balloon at a time when the NHS is supposed to be stretched to breaking point

And there's little evidence they will compromise in the slightest on freedom of movement, which was a large factor, probably the main one, in the Brexit win.
    Eh? They laid out the framework for the sequencing of talks, and Davis agreed to it without question.

£40 billion is the financial settlement for already-agreed-to commitments. It’s what the U.K. legally owes. It’s not payable up front, so the NHS crisis this winter is nothing to do with it. And, as we are so often reminded, the slogan on the side of the bus was a suggestion, not a promise.

The U.K. has always had control over immigration, it just chose not to exercise it. If the EU insists that FoM is include in (say) a “Norway” style deal, then that’s what’s on offer, either accept it or walk. It’s a contract negotiation.

Leave a comment:

• OwlHoot
    replied
    Originally posted by meridian View Post
    Is it?

What have the EU done? Sent an army in? Threatened sanctions? ...

That will go down like a lead balloon at a time when the NHS is supposed to be stretched to breaking point

And there's little evidence they will compromise in the slightest on freedom of movement, which was a large factor, probably the main one, in the Brexit win.

Leave a comment:

• OwlHoot
    replied
    Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
    Nigel Farage calls for second referendum to shut Bremoaners up once and for all

ha

I imagine up until election day the polls will be in their favour.

I reckon Farage has misjudged this, and risks playing into die-hard Remainers' hands.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X