• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

10 days...

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jamesbrown View Post
    Corbyn’s 20+ year record in Parliament clearly points to him being a hardcore Eurosceptic in the same mould as Benn and Skinner, but he seems willing to put that aside, to a point. Reneging on Brexit altogether would be a very different matter though - they’d lose too many seats in the North, and that calculus won’t change (there’s no “explaining it to them”) - which presumably leaves EEA. But you’re right that Labour is equally engaged in fantasy politics with their “a” customs union BS. They're only getting away with it because they aren’t being properly tested.
    +1. Labour would keep its urban parliamentary seats no matter how anti-EU the party is. Those voters have no where else to turn as clearly they didn't switch back to the Lib Dems at the last election. Hence Labour needs to vote Brexit to keep the northern seats that were expected to switch to the Tories in the last election and didn't quite do so....
    merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

On a plus side Ireland will be able to join Shengen zone

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
        On a plus side Ireland will be able to join Shengen zone
        Entering Schengen or in fact leaving it is one of the nicest things about schipol airport.
        merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
          Crossing freely does not mean no border check - it means having right to cross without being denied entry, queuing for 12 hours got nothing to do with this right.

Hard Brexit is the only possible Brexit - given that HMG is ready to sacrifice the golden egg hen (the City) it's hard to imagine they give two tulips about NI
          It’s deeper than that, Alyosha, the ties between us are ingrained, Ive been driving North South all weekend and so have thousands of others, there is no way it’ll work. Look at the bad old days, despite the Troubles everyone crosses the border Willy Nilly.

Half my family are Irish, and it always been the same, freedom of movement.

I understand what your saying but I know any hard border is unworkable.

Comment

Originally posted by stek View Post
            Brexit is unworkable

Yet, we are going to get it.

Only followed by close integration into EU ...

Comment

It’s deeper than that, Alyosha, the ties between us are ingrained, Ive been driving North South all weekend and so have thousands of others, there is no way it’ll work. Look at the bad old days, despite the Troubles everyone crosses the border Willy Nilly.

Half my family are Irish, and it always been the same, freedom of movement.

A hard border and I'm expecting civil unrest.

The only thing I can see is another GE and a hung parliament.

The electorate are right to make politicians of all British parties suffer because they are all fecking liars.
              "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
                The politicians of all British parties are right to make the electorate suffer because they are all fecking mugs.
                FTFY

Comment

Look at the bad old days, despite the Troubles everyone crosses the border Willy Nilly.
                  During The Troubles the longest you had to queue to cross the border at a major crossing was about 15 minutes. If you got pulled over for a search you'd be there longer.

The longest delays for crossings was during the foot & mouth crisis, when every car got disinfected.
                  …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Originally posted by meridian View Post
                    It doesn't even need to be a firm decision from HMG to pass into December. There are a limited number of options available (SM+CU; SM only; CU only; no deal) - the govt just needs to list them out along with what the proposed solution would be for each of them.

Unfortunately, even listing out the possible solutions would lead to a split in the cabinet, resignations, mutiny, then probably a GE. So yes, I agree with you there.

Corbyn I think has bigger plans. Sit it out until Brexit splits the Tories. He's starting to realise that, despite his social leanings and aversion to the EU, a hard Brexit will hurt the working class more than the toffs. He just needs to figure out a way to explain it to the electorate in a way that doesn't get him branded a traitor by the right-wing rags (which in itself is a dreadful way for them to behave), and he'll step in and put a halt to it. Labour have no answers to what a successful Brexit looks like, either, so there's little chance they'll carry on with it if they can help it. In my opinion...
                    I agree with this, but I would just say that all labour need to do is stick with the plan of remaining in the CU and SM.
                    http://www.cih.org/news-article/disp...housing_market

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
                      A hard border and I'm expecting civil unrest.

The only thing I can see is another GE and a hung parliament.

The electorate are right to make politicians of all British parties suffer because they are all fecking liars.
                      As long as Tory and Labour suffer, then great.

The UK has to get away from the 2 party system.

Comment

Working...
                      X