• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: 10 days...

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "10 days..."

Collapse

• stek
    replied
    We should get Sinn Fein candidates in all UK and Irish constituencies and elect them, and let them sort that out.

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied
    Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
    A hard border and I'm expecting civil unrest.

The only thing I can see is another GE and a hung parliament.

The electorate are right to make politicians of all British parties suffer because they are all fecking liars.
    As long as Tory and Labour suffer, then great.

The UK has to get away from the 2 party system.

Leave a comment:

• PurpleGorilla
    replied
    Originally posted by meridian View Post
    It doesn't even need to be a firm decision from HMG to pass into December. There are a limited number of options available (SM+CU; SM only; CU only; no deal) - the govt just needs to list them out along with what the proposed solution would be for each of them.

Unfortunately, even listing out the possible solutions would lead to a split in the cabinet, resignations, mutiny, then probably a GE. So yes, I agree with you there.

Corbyn I think has bigger plans. Sit it out until Brexit splits the Tories. He's starting to realise that, despite his social leanings and aversion to the EU, a hard Brexit will hurt the working class more than the toffs. He just needs to figure out a way to explain it to the electorate in a way that doesn't get him branded a traitor by the right-wing rags (which in itself is a dreadful way for them to behave), and he'll step in and put a halt to it. Labour have no answers to what a successful Brexit looks like, either, so there's little chance they'll carry on with it if they can help it. In my opinion...
    I agree with this, but I would just say that all labour need to do is stick with the plan of remaining in the CU and SM.

Leave a comment:

• WTFH
    replied
    Originally posted by stek View Post
    Look at the bad old days, despite the Troubles everyone crosses the border Willy Nilly.
    During The Troubles the longest you had to queue to cross the border at a major crossing was about 15 minutes. If you got pulled over for a search you'd be there longer.

The longest delays for crossings was during the foot & mouth crisis, when every car got disinfected.

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
    The politicians of all British parties are right to make the electorate suffer because they are all fecking mugs.
    FTFY

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    It’s deeper than that, Alyosha, the ties between us are ingrained, Ive been driving North South all weekend and so have thousands of others, there is no way it’ll work. Look at the bad old days, despite the Troubles everyone crosses the border Willy Nilly.

Half my family are Irish, and it always been the same, freedom of movement.

I understand what your saying but I know any hard border is unworkable.
    A hard border and I'm expecting civil unrest.

The only thing I can see is another GE and a hung parliament.

The electorate are right to make politicians of all British parties suffer because they are all fecking liars.

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    Brexit is unworkable

Yet, we are going to get it.

Only followed by close integration into EU ...

Leave a comment:

• stek
    replied
    Originally posted by AtW View Post
    Crossing freely does not mean no border check - it means having right to cross without being denied entry, queuing for 12 hours got nothing to do with this right.

Hard Brexit is the only possible Brexit - given that HMG is ready to sacrifice the golden egg hen (the City) it's hard to imagine they give two tulips about NI
    It’s deeper than that, Alyosha, the ties between us are ingrained, Ive been driving North South all weekend and so have thousands of others, there is no way it’ll work. Look at the bad old days, despite the Troubles everyone crosses the border Willy Nilly.

Half my family are Irish, and it always been the same, freedom of movement.

Leave a comment:

• eek
    replied
    Originally posted by AtW View Post
    On a plus side Ireland will be able to join Shengen zone
    Entering Schengen or in fact leaving it is one of the nicest things about schipol airport.

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    On a plus side Ireland will be able to join Shengen zone

Leave a comment:

• eek
    replied
    Originally posted by jamesbrown View Post
    Corbyn’s 20+ year record in Parliament clearly points to him being a hardcore Eurosceptic in the same mould as Benn and Skinner, but he seems willing to put that aside, to a point. Reneging on Brexit altogether would be a very different matter though - they’d lose too many seats in the North, and that calculus won’t change (there’s no “explaining it to them”) - which presumably leaves EEA. But you’re right that Labour is equally engaged in fantasy politics with their “a” customs union BS. They're only getting away with it because they aren’t being properly tested.
    +1. Labour would keep its urban parliamentary seats no matter how anti-EU the party is. Those voters have no where else to turn as clearly they didn't switch back to the Lib Dems at the last election. Hence Labour needs to vote Brexit to keep the northern seats that were expected to switch to the Tories in the last election and didn't quite do so....

Leave a comment:

• jamesbrown
    replied
    Corbyn I think has bigger plans. Sit it out until Brexit splits the Tories. He's starting to realise that, despite his social leanings and aversion to the EU, a hard Brexit will hurt the working class more than the toffs. He just needs to figure out a way to explain it to the electorate in a way that doesn't get him branded a traitor by the right-wing rags (which in itself is a dreadful way for them to behave), and he'll step in and put a halt to it. Labour have no answers to what a successful Brexit looks like, either, so there's little chance they'll carry on with it if they can help it. In my opinion...
    Corbyn’s 20+ year record in Parliament clearly points to him being a hardcore Eurosceptic in the same mould as Benn and Skinner, but he seems willing to put that aside, to a point. Reneging on Brexit altogether would be a very different matter though - they’d lose too many seats in the North, and that calculus won’t change (there’s no “explaining it to them”) - which presumably leaves EEA. But you’re right that Labour is equally engaged in fantasy politics with their “a” customs union BS. They're only getting away with it because they aren’t being properly tested.

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    I know, I was making the point that a hard border would hinder the right of British and Irish citizens to cross what will be the UK/EU border freely.

To me that means a hard border is impossible.
    Crossing freely does not mean no border check - it means having right to cross without being denied entry, queuing for 12 hours got nothing to do with this right.

Hard Brexit is the only possible Brexit - given that HMG is ready to sacrifice the golden egg hen (the City) it's hard to imagine they give two tulips about NI

Leave a comment:

• meridian
    replied
    Originally posted by jamesbrown View Post
    May is apparently preparing a Florence II, so that’s going to come very soon after the Dec Council. But it’s well known that Cabinet hasn’t discussed this yet (), because she knows that resignations are likely. That said, I think we can all agree that the outlines of what May wants - some sort of pick ‘n mix association agreement - is a political fantasy. IMHO, it’s either EEA or WTO, and I assume the latter but, either way a GE is likely, and unavoidable for WTO. Shame, really, as I’d like to see some form of CETA+services, but the politics won’t allow it. Presumably Corbyn would go with EEA, not because he believes in it, but because he has bigger plans?
    It doesn't even need to be a firm decision from HMG to pass into December. There are a limited number of options available (SM+CU; SM only; CU only; no deal) - the govt just needs to list them out along with what the proposed solution would be for each of them.

Unfortunately, even listing out the possible solutions would lead to a split in the cabinet, resignations, mutiny, then probably a GE. So yes, I agree with you there.

Leave a comment:

• jamesbrown
    replied
    Here's a novel idea, then - how about HMG provide the EU with their understanding of what the final trade agreement might be, then?

At the moment, you can't really blame the EU for holding a hard line, because the government has been clear so far that Brexit means Brexit. Even for a neutral observer it's clear that these two positions taken by the U.K. are not compatible.
    May is apparently preparing a Florence II, so that’s going to come very soon after the Dec Council. But it’s well known that Cabinet hasn’t discussed this yet (), because she knows that resignations are likely. That said, I think we can all agree that the outlines of what May wants - some sort of pick ‘n mix association agreement - is a political fantasy. IMHO, it’s either EEA or WTO, and I assume the latter but, either way a GE is likely, and unavoidable for WTO. Shame, really, as I’d like to see some form of CETA+services, but the politics won’t allow it. Presumably Corbyn would go with EEA, not because he believes in it, but because he has bigger plans?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X