• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Tory and Labour MPs plot secret deal to ensure soft Brexit

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
    Parliament is the people, you mupp!
    Originally posted by northernladyuk View Post
    FFS you are thick.
    Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
    If that was in relation to my comment, and not just a general observation, would you care to elaborate?
    MPs act in what they think is the best interests of the people of their constituency. It that way, they represent the people. However, they do not have to do what the majority (or even a large minority) of the people in their constituency want. And usually they don't.

From that, you apparently draw the conclusion that "Parliament is the people", and sovereignty lies with "the people". Well, I can't help if you're incapable of thinking logically or analytically. So keep calm and carry on in your delusional world; I'm sure you find it comforting.

The reality is, however, that parliament, being sovereign, can, under law, do what the **** it likes and screw "the people". (Cue the usual - and again, delusional - shrill cry of "there'll be rioting in the streets if they do that").
    Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by darmstadt View Post
      Does the UK actually have anyone who can do the negotiations?
      If course we do, very resourceful people we are.

Don't tell anyone but we used to have an empire that spanned the world.

Especially don't tell the Germans they have tried to conquer the world twice and keep screwing up.

🏯

Comment

There won't be a negotiation the EU will tell Britain what the terms and conditions are.

The UK has already caved in to the EU's first demand and you will see this repeated over and over.

basically the whole Brexit process will be driven and determined by the EU to their timetable and their conditions. There is no point in spending money on a UK negotiation team, they may as well just have a fax machine in Downing Street.

One month ago:

David Davis rejects EU negotiations timetable

Now:

David Davis accepts EU negotiations timetable

Britain initially rejected this idea, saying it wanted to conduct trade and technical talks at the same time, but now appears to have admitted defeat and agreed to it in principle.
        Expect to hear the term "admitted defeat" frequently over the next two years.

I'm alright Jack

Comment

Originally posted by original PM View Post
          If course we do, very resourceful people we are.

Don't tell anyone but we used to have an empire that spanned the world.

Especially don't tell the Germans they have tried to conquer the world twice and keep screwing up.

🏯
          Yep, very impressive: https://www.whitehouseconsulting.co....son-Fox_rv.pdf

Brexit: Who will be the key negotiators for the UK and EU? - ITV News

And pray tell what have the Germans got to do with this, the UK is negotiating with the EU?
          Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
            MPs act in what they think is the best interests of the people of their constituency. It that way, they represent the people. However, they do not have to do what the majority (or even a large minority) of the people in their constituency want. And usually they don't.

From that, you apparently draw the conclusion that "Parliament is the people", and sovereignty lies with "the people". Well, I can't help if you're incapable of thinking logically or analytically. So keep calm and carry on in your delusional world; I'm sure you find it comforting.

The reality is, however, that parliament, being sovereign, can, under law, do what the **** it likes and screw "the people". (Cue the usual - and again, delusional - shrill cry of "there'll be rioting in the streets if they do that").
            One phrase that proves this is "Iraq war"
            "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Brexit U-Turn in full swing

Should make the negotiations go a lot smoother.

I'm alright Jack

Comment

Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
                Brexit U-Turn in full swing

Should make the negotiations go a lot smoother.

Meanwhile, they're hiring some rather expensive trade negotiators like Crawford Falconer. Sideshow Phil is in self-proclaimed "street-fighting" mode. The direction is being set by the concrete steps being taken. Incidentally, even Phil understands his limits. He continues to refer to the White Paper in public as the UK's negotiating position, while also referring to a "jobs-first" Brexit (code for continuity remain ). We all know what Phil wants, and he's going to make it very clear in the papers. Also, he's rather angry at the Maybot for all that pre-election briefing against him, and would like us to know this too. Unfortunately, he has a very poor record of getting what he wants .

Comment

Originally posted by jamesbrown View Post
                  Meanwhile, they're hiring some rather expensive trade negotiators like Crawford Falconer. Sideshow Phil is in self-proclaimed "street-fighting" mode. The direction is being set by the concrete steps being taken. Incidentally, even Phil understands his limits. He continues to refer to the White Paper in public as the UK's negotiating position, while also referring to a "jobs-first" Brexit (code for continuity remain ). We all know what Phil wants, and he's going to make it very clear in the papers. Also, he's rather angry at the Maybot for all that pre-election briefing against him, and would like us to know this too. Unfortunately, he has a very poor record of getting what he wants .
                  The best negotiator in the world will still have great difficulty in trying to sell an Austin Princess.

At the end of 2 years there will a take it or leave it EU bucket of sickoffer on the table and the government will collapse.

I'm alright Jack

Comment

Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
                    The best negotiator in the world will still have great difficulty in trying to sell an Austin Princess.

At the end of 2 years there will a take it or leave it EU bucket of sickoffer on the table and the government will collapse.

It's almost as though you're hoping for that outcome in order increase the probability of continuity remain. Either way, it's going to be super interesting as the EU charges inexorably towards the MFF. Gosh, I expect Germany and France are going to have to dig really deep next time. Alternatively, there may be a sensible agreement on a transition followed by an FTA, in line with the White Paper. Who knows? If the EU is engaged in one of its regular periods of introspection and insecurity, they may prefer to dig really deep. Afterall, they don't have a great record of acting in their own interests (unless "own" is defined as the bureaucracy).

Comment

Originally posted by jamesbrown View Post
                      It's almost as though you're hoping for that outcome in order increase the probability of continuity remain. Either way, it's going to be super interesting as the EU charges inexorably towards the MFF. Gosh, I expect Germany and France are going to have to dig really deep next time. Alternatively, there may be a sensible agreement on a transition followed by an FTA, in line with the White Paper. Who knows? If the EU is engaged in one of its regular periods of introspection and insecurity, they may prefer to dig really deep. Afterall, they don't have a great record of acting in their own interests (unless "own" is defined as the bureaucracy).
                      There indeed will be a transition, a very long transition and there will indeed be a bucket of sickFTA, and to get a feel for what that FTA will look like, look no further than Switzerland. Incidentally Switzerland also negotiates its own trade deals. I doubt whether the Conservative government will complete the negotiations on the FTA, that will probably be a Labour government.

I'm alright Jack

Comment

Working...
                      X