• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Brexit R.I.P.

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Mordac View Post
    Group hug, but SAStwat can **********. right off.
    Ah did I hurt your feelings, snowflake?
    Dunno why as I haven't responded to any of your posts today.
    Go and lie down in a darkened room, that should help?
    Hard Brexit now!
    #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by jamesbrown View Post
      The DUP are looking to leave the SM and the CU, but avoid a hard border.
      Do they have a proposed solution on how this can work in the real world, giving their commitment against special status for NI? Or is it just more wishful thinking like the rest of the Brexit "strategy"?

Comment

Originally posted by sal View Post
        Do they have a proposed solution on how this can work in the real world, giving their commitment against special status for NI? Or is it just more wishful thinking like the rest of the Brexit "strategy"?
        that does not compute

SoftBorder = Single Market for me

Milan.

Comment

Originally posted by sal View Post
          How about no one on the Island of Ireland wants it be that politicians or the people? Nor does the British Government. I suspect it'll be fudged with something based round the long standing Common Travel Arrangement. Maybe a very soft customs posts dotted about the place like before 'The Troubles'.

Comment

NI will remain open border with rest of Ireland and they'll check IDs when wanting to leave NI for mainland UK. Flights and ferrys probably already check ID of travellers so no real difference. Just need the right ID to travel. Simple.
            Maybe tomorrow, I'll want to settle down. Until tomorrow, I'll just keep moving on.

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
              I think you should give up the forecasting game, you've no talent for it
              Fair point. OTOH.

It's only an exit poll, calm down

Comment

Originally posted by The_Equalizer View Post
                How about no one on the Island of Ireland wants it be that politicians or the people? Nor does the British Government. I suspect it'll be fudged with something based round the long standing Common Travel Arrangement. Maybe a very soft customs posts dotted about the place like before 'The Troubles'.
                Define soft customs spots? Arrangements that have worked before both the UK and RoI joining the EU are not going to be applicable after one of them leaves the EU, while the other remains, as the border relationship between them directly affect the rest of the EU.

I understand the desire of the entire Island of Ireland population, unfortunately there is now way to get both open/no borders and no CU/FM with EU. That's the thing - it's not to RoI and NI/UK to negotiate between them - it's up to the EU to agree to a massive backdoor.

It's either CU+SM+Open border-special status, -CU-SM+Open border+special status for NI, -CU-SM+Open border+special status for RoI, or -CU-SM-Open border-special status.

If there is a dream scenario where we could get -CU-SM+Open border-special status I (and I bet all the EU leaders) would like to hear the details.

Comment

Originally posted by Hobosapien View Post
                  NI will remain open border with rest of Ireland and they'll check IDs when wanting to leave NI for mainland UK. Flights and ferrys probably already check ID of travellers so no real difference. Just need the right ID to travel. Simple.
                  People are easy, especially when you consider the fact that it's 99% Certaintm that the free movement of people (without the right to work, similar to how Bulgarians and Romanians were restricted in the first years of their EU membership) between the EU and UK will remain.

The problem is with goods and cargo, it's not as easy as checking a piece of paper and wave through. Even if the UK is desperate/stupid enough to allow such backdoor, the EU will most certainly not.

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
                    This happened because of Tory Scum divided the country using their proxy scum UKIP

HTH
                    If only.

But a majority of UKIPers were on loan from Labour, and went back to Labour in droves when arrogant TM dissed Farage and UKIP generally.

If she had been a bit more diplomatic, and even offered a well-deserved knighthood to Farage, instead of smugly grinning when asked about this in a TV interview, she would almost certainly have won her overall majority, with the help of ex-UKIPers.
                    Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
                      If only.

But a majority of UKIPers were on loan from Labour, and went back to Labour in droves when arrogant TM dissed Farage and UKIP generally.

If she had been a bit more diplomatic, and even offered a well-deserved knighthood to Farage, instead of smugly grinning when asked about this in a TV interview, she would almost certainly have won her overall majority, with the help of ex-UKIPers.
                      Not in my constituency they didn't.

The UKIP vote evaporated and the Tory vote rose by pretty much the exact same amount.

Labour still won.
                      Last edited by DaveB; 9 June 2017, 13:55.
                      "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

Working...
                      X