• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Brexit R.I.P.

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by AtW View Post
    It's going to be super hard Brexit now.

Tories will adopt scorched earth policy.

HTH
    Both the Tories and Labour were agreed on leaving the SM. The main difference was the CU and the weighting of FoM vs. economic concerns (although it isn't clear such a trade-off is even available). The DUP are looking to leave the SM and the CU, but avoid a hard border.

It's added some cloud to the timetable and who will be negotiating (and for what), but I would expect a Tory leadership contest over the summer recess, followed by another GE in September/October, so it's too early to talk about impacts. It is worth noting, however, that, when polled, very few people identified Brexit as their no. 1 concern (i.e. basically just the ~20-25% of hardcore Remainers). This is testament to the similar messages from Corbyn and May about the nature of Brexit (as perceived by the average voter). Reversing or significantly watering down Brexit isn't likely; I certainly can't see the Tories standing on that mandate after the debacle of the recent manifesto. Very fluid situation, though, over the next few months...

Comment

Originally posted by jamesbrown View Post
      Both the Tories and Labour were agreed on leaving the SM. The main difference was the CU and the weighting of FoM vs. economic concerns (although it isn't clear such a trade-off is even available). The DUP are looking to leave the SM and the CU, but avoid a hard border.

It's added some cloud to the timetable and who will be negotiating (and for what), but I would expect a Tory leadership contest over the summer recess, followed by another GE in September/October, so it's too early to talk about impacts. It is worth noting, however, that, when polled, very few people identified Brexit as their no. 1 concern (i.e. basically just the ~20-25% of hardcore Remainers). This is testament to the similar messages from Corbyn and May about the nature of Brexit (as perceived by the average voter). Reversing or significantly watering down Brexit isn't likely; I certainly can't see the Tories standing on that mandate after the debacle of the recent manifesto. Very fluid situation, though, over the next few months...
      Nick Clegg was saying pretty much this a few hours ago. Poor Clegg.

I'm pretty sure you're right with your other comments too.

Comment

I think you should give up the forecasting game, you've no talent for it
        Hard Brexit now!
        #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by The_Equalizer View Post
          Funny how this place has turned into a bear pit. It's like the internet as a whole. CUK used to be one of the few boards where people all rubbed along together now long since past.

It used to be the case that you'd have a bit of a moan down the pub to your friends that that would be the sum total. Today it's turned into a quasi religious quest pursued via a keyboard. The internet - good for shopping and hobbies - shi5e for most other things.

we don't mean it

it's just banter

group hug everybody

Milan.

Comment

If they cause another election to happen earlier than 2022 then they are fooking morons - next election will be Korbyn landslide.

Comment

Funny how this place has turned into a bear pit. It's like the internet as a whole. CUK used to be one of the few boards where people all rubbed along together now long since past.

It used to be the case that you'd have a bit of a moan down the pub to your friends that that would be the sum total. Today it's turned into a quasi religious quest pursued via a keyboard. The internet - good for shopping and hobbies - shi5e for most other things.
              Oooh 'ark at the lickle snowflake. If you ask Admin nicely maybe he'll create a password controlled thread, just for you to have a safe space.
              Hard Brexit now!
              #prayfornodeal

Comment

This happened because of Tory Scum divided the country using their proxy scum UKIP

HTH

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
                  Oooh 'ark at the lickle snowflake. If you ask Admin nicely maybe he'll create a password controlled thread, just for you to have a safe space.
                  Fairly average for you.

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
                    This happened because of Tory Scum divided the country using their proxy scum UKIP

HTH
                    Nope. It's what's known as a democracy. Perhaps we should run things like they do in Russia?

Comment

Originally posted by milanbenes View Post
                      we don't mean it

it's just banter

group hug everybody

Milan.
                      Group hug, but SAStwat can **********. right off.
                      His heart is in the right place - shame we can't say the same about his brain...

Comment

Working...
                      X