• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

[Merged]Brexit stuff (part 2)

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
    50% of your earnings pay for taxes (hidden and otherwise). Why would you want a job?
    ah a true European wants freedom for free.

Scooty I name you Tex Evoider!
    Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

It is not a question of whether I'll be refused. That's a non-issue. Time and time again visa applications fall through (from those coming outside of the EU) because another resource has been found in the interim. The point is clients do not wait! Brexiters just don't get it. I can move from job to job in hours rather than weeks or months.

Local labour is not being undercut. Business just don't want to pay more. Blame the employers!! And customers in the supermarkets will be the first to complain at the increased cost of fresh produce plucked from their fields a year or two down the line when that local labour finally gets off their backside to do the work.
      You really don't understand your hypocrisy do you?
      Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by DodgyAgent View Post
        If you think Eastern Europeans are going to return home just because the sterling has fallen then you have no clue. What are they going to return home to? Nurses and medical staff earn 700 Euros a month for 300 hours of work. Builders earn about £3.00 per hour if they can find any work at all. IT developers are not leaving their countries of origin anyway and EU graduates working in retail/hospitality jobs in the UK have no jobs to return home to anyway.

As far as currency devaluation is concerned we need this to improve our balance of payments

ok DA, this one I have got a clue on.

This 3.00quid per hour is exactly the point.

Compared to their home countries the UK is effing expensive, they put up with this, by living carefully and saving every penny, and having no treats, and actually living below the standard that they would live at home, the goal being to save money.

When the pound devalues and prices in the UK rise, they won't be able to save money, and they will return home because their reason for being in the UK, to save money, will have been erased, and their quality of life will be better at home on the 3pound per hour.

This actually already happened, the pound for many years, from the introduction of the Euro to around 2007 floated around 60 to 65p to the Euro, and then I can't remember exactly, 2007/2008 the pound devalued to float around 80p to the euro, this actually bought a wave of Poles and Czechs back home.

The next devaluation of the pound will see more returning home.

Builders, you said, if they can find work, he he that's a joke, there's a building boom in central Europe - simple as that. No reason for anybody not to have a job, there are so many jobs.

As a recruiter you must know the trouble international companies are having to fill roles in the data centers in Central and Eastern Europe, they cannot find anybody locally and are bring people wholesale from Russia, other European countries and latin America

Retail and medical is also doing very well.

So, sorry old chap, in this post, your talking cods wallop.

Toodle pip,

Milan.
        Last edited by milanbenes; 1 November 2016, 13:05.

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post

They have moved here because there is work
          Yes. In the exact same way I moved to Germany for work. Because that work was just not available in the UK, otherwise my higher education was a waste of time.

The UK as a growing need of low-skill workers. The UK is utterly dependent on low-skill workers. Many UK citizens will just not lower themselves.

Then there's 50% of folk that have gone to university who cannot get a job. They'll undoubtedly wish to move to the EU for brighter prospects in the years ahead.

The country can only detract lower-skill worker by becoming a high-skill economy. That's why the low-skill workers come. You can't change that by shutting the door.
          "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

You really don't understand your hypocrisy do you?
            Those are example of skilled and un-skilled labour. Not the same. You think the UK's un-skilled fruit pickers are there legally? Do you think that'll change after the UK leaves the EU?
            "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by stek View Post
              Just had a thought/brain fart, after Brexit does the Dublin Agreement apply to UK, because if not asylum seekers and refugees can just roll up to UK and the UK will have to accept them.
              Yes, that was also the situation prior to 1972.
              "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

You actually believe that?

They have moved here because there is work
                yes, please see the answer I gave DA

Milan.

Comment

Originally posted by milanbenes View Post
                  The next devaluation of the pound will see more returning home.
                  The Polish unemployment rate is 8%. And it's at that rate even though millions of working-age Poles have moved to other European countries.

So Sterling will need to fall a long, long way before it becomes economical for a Pole to return to Poland.

Comment

Then there's 50% of folk that have gone to university who cannot get a job.
                    I see, so the graduate unemployment rate is ~3%, but 50% of graduates cannot get a job.

Reality isn't your strong suite.

Assuming you meant underemployed, you're still completely wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by jamesbrown View Post
                      I see, so the graduate unemployment rate is ~3%, but 50% of graduates cannot get a job.

Reality isn't your strong suite.

Assuming you meant underemployed, you're still completely wrong.
                      Sarcasm overload.

Of the 50% of young folks that do go to uni, many do not find employment suited to their education, unrewarding, or underpaid for their qualification.

The statistics hide many lies.

Comment

Working...
                      X