• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

HMRC Fine

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HMRC Fine

Hi,

There is a bit of background to this query but the short version is that I was given a SA letter after 31/1/14 for the 2012-2013 tax year. The letter stated I needed to complete it within 3 months of the date of the SA letter, which I did and I also paid my tax bill within those 3 months (it wasn’t actually tax but student loan payments). HMRC have now fined me for paying my bill after 31/1/14. I could argue I didn’t know what I had to pay until I completed my SA.

Does anyone have an opinion on whether it is worth disputing this? It’s not a great deal of money but I would prefer it in my pocket.

Originally posted by rjustice View Post
    Does anyone have an opinion on whether it is worth disputing this? It’s not a great deal of money but I would prefer it in my pocket.
    If you should have completed one and didn't, then you have no case to argue.

If you shouldn't have completed one but did and it was late, then you have no case to argue.
    Best Forum Advisor 2014
    Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
    Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
      If you should have completed one and didn't, then you have no case to argue.

If you shouldn't have completed one but did and it was late, then you have no case to argue.
      Hmm...if OP wasn't previously registered for SA then I always thought you only become liable to submit a SA once HMRC sends you a letter requesting one, which appears to be what has happened.

I also thought you had until 3 months from the date of the letter, or by 31st January after the end of the relevant tax year, whichever comes later. Which would mean the submission isn't late. Bit weird that OP has been fined if that is the case.

Not sure why OP hasn't just rung HMRC and asked them though as it may have been a simple error (e.g. it could have been automated).

Comment

It would be simple to ring them up, this sounds like a mistake, otherwise the original letter should have stated they would impose a fine.

I presume that the fine was imposed because you submitted after 01/31 but from what I read you have to submit three months after receiving the demand, which you did.
        Last edited by BlasterBates; 30 June 2014, 13:49.
        I'm alright Jack

Comment

Originally posted by TheCyclingProgrammer View Post
          Hmm...if OP wasn't previously registered for SA then I always thought you only become liable to submit a SA once HMRC sends you a letter requesting one, which appears to be what has happened.

I also thought you had until 3 months from the date of the letter, or by 31st January after the end of the relevant tax year, whichever comes later. Which would mean the submission isn't late. Bit weird that OP has been fined if that is the case.

Not sure why OP hasn't just rung HMRC and asked them though as it may have been a simple error (e.g. it could have been automated).
          Self Assessment

"But you may need to complete a tax return if you have more complicated tax affairs, even if you already pay tax through your tax code. There are also certain circumstances in which you will always need to complete a tax return - for example if you're:

self-employed
          a company director
          a trustee
          receiving foreign income"

If your circumstances change e.g. you recently became a director, you should have told them and they would have sent you a return or notice for online filing during the due year.

But as CP says, you should check it with them.

Comment

Yeah but the director reason isn't strictly true as we discussed in some detail..

CBA to find exact threads but here is a search for all SA questions with the word director mention (which is probably all of them but hey ho. Will pass the time)

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=di...oAw&gws_rd=ssl
            'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
              Yeah but the director reason isn't strictly true as we discussed in some detail..

CBA to find exact threads but here is a search for all SA questions with the word director mention (which is probably all of them but hey ho. Will pass the time)

I understand but this is a question about the need to fill in a return, not which boxes need to be completed depending on your circumstances.

Comment

Originally posted by tractor View Post
                I understand but this is a question about the need to fill in a return, not which boxes need to be completed depending on your circumstances.
                What NLUK means is there is no legal requirement for director's to file a tax return (as being a director doesn't necessarily mean you'll be chargeable to tax beyond what is deducted at source). Its been discussed on here many times.

However, in practice is while being a director in itself places no legal requirement to notify HMRC that you need to file a tax return, HMRC do prefer directors to do so (as evidenced by the bit on their website you quoted) and their internal policy/manuals would indicate that its a very likely trigger for HMRC to request you do one.

So there shouldn't be any failure to notify penalty (unless you were actually chargeable to tax), but its likely the reason why HMRC have sent a notice to file a return to OP.

Comment

As for the deadline for filing your return:

HM Revenue & Customs: Tax return deadlines and penalties

Your online tax return must reach HMRC by midnight on 31 January.
                  So for the 2013-14 tax year, the deadline for online returns is midnight on 31 January 2015. There are very few exceptions. As an example, the deadline may be later if it's after 31 October when HMRC sends you the letter telling you to complete a tax return. In this case the letter will tell you the deadline - it is usually 3 months from the date of the letter.
                  This would seem to indicate that OP shouldn't have received a penalty and it was probably issued in error.

This is assuming OP didn't receive an earlier notification that they aren't telling us about or weren't aware of.

Once again, this can probably all be resolved with a quick call to HMRC.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post

HM Revenue & Customs: Do you need to complete a tax return?
                    Directors are required to complete a tax return.

Comment

Working...
                    X