• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Mileage claims

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mileage claims

OK, wife (like me) is an employee of the business, and shareholder (like me) in proportion of say 70/30 in my favour.
    I claim mileage to from client site in relation to current assignment role location; normal stuff 0.45/mile for 1st 10k miles; 0.25/mile thereafter.

My wife/fellow company employee does a certain amount of irregular business related mileage; meetings with accountants etc., & other business related mileage/journeys which may include parking fees on occasion.

I know if I was travelling to the accountants, and parking on business related journeys I would be able to claim for them, but is my wife/employee?

If so, I suspect I would just need to set-up another mileage spreadsheet to show what journeys were made etc.?
    Clarity is everything

What does your accountant say?

Sorry NLUK but it saves you some typing.
    merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

If she's on business, yes. Just keep track of the To From and miles travelled as you do for yourself, plus reason for journey.
      ContractorUK Best Forum Adviser 2013

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
        What does your accountant say?

Sorry NLUK but it saves you some typing.
        Does your accountant work on Saturdays? Thought not...tit.
        Clarity is everything

Comment

You need to clearly separate being a shareholder out from being an employee in your mind.

For example I'm a shareholder in some companies but not an employee of them. When I was a permie employee I wasn't a shareholder of my employers. There are some people in medium sized and large companies who are shareholders as well as employees but I their shares are part of their compensation package.

Anyway when I was a permie employee and had travel expenses due to going on courses, having to travel to client sites etc then I claimed the expenses from my employer, or the taxman if the employer refused to pay.
          "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by Clare@InTouch View Post
            If she's on business, yes. Just keep track of the To From and miles travelled as you do for yourself, plus reason for journey.
            Thanks Claire.
            Clarity is everything

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
              You need to clearly separate being a shareholder out from being an employee in your mind.

For example I'm a shareholder in some companies but not an employee of them. When I was a permie employee I wasn't a shareholder of my employers. There are some people in medium sized and large companies who are shareholders as well as employees but I their shares are part of their compensation package.

Anyway when I was a permie employee and had travel expenses due to going on courses, having to travel to client sites etc then I claimed the expenses from my employer, or the taxman if the employer refused to pay.
              Thanks SE, but she receives salary and proportionate levels of divs, so, to my thinking, she should be able to claim it, as I do.
              The mileage isn't going to be big numbers, but just thought; why waste an allowance if it's something which she can claim from the business legitimately?
              Clarity is everything

Comment

The shareholding isn't really relevant, but if she's in the payroll then she can be paid expenses and is subject to the same rules on employee expenses as you are.

Only difference off the top of my head is that if she's not a director and is paid below the £8500 threshold then you have slightly different reporting differences - either nothing to report or possibly a P9D. The HMRC A-Z will tell you.

Comment

You can pay expenses to anyone in pursuit of your business.

Shareholder status / in receipt of dividends, is irrelevant.

Employee status / in receipt of salary, also does not matter in this context.

Originally posted by SteelyDan View Post
                  I would just need to set-up another mileage spreadsheet to show what journeys were made etc.?
                  Yes.

Comment

Or if she is giving you a lift to the airport you could potentially claim 45ppm for her and 5ppm for giving a colleague a lift to work one way

Comment

Working...
                    X