• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

If you want 85% take home - guaranteed....

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If you want 85% take home - guaranteed....

Read this first: http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/avoidance/tempted.pdf and then look for a decent accountancy firm or umbrella company
    Connect with me on LinkedIn

Follow us on Twitter.

ContractorUK Best Forum Advisor 2015

Mods : OP is pushing dodgy schemes on the forums. Please do the needful
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
      Mods : OP is pushing dodgy schemes on the forums. Please do the needful
      Don't know if this warrants or a

Follow us on Twitter.

Comment

Originally posted by LisaContractorUmbrella View Post
        Don't know if this warrants or a
        I spent 15 minutes reading the links to see where I sign up. Very dissapointed

p.s. I'll take both, I am a little strange like that
        'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

So the government is telling us not to avoid paying tax to the government, whodathunkit!

Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
          I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
            I spent 15 minutes reading the links to see where I sign up. Very dissapointed

p.s. I'll take both, I am a little strange like that
            Somehow that doesn't surprise me

Follow us on Twitter.

Comment

The problem is that it's like speeding at over 100mph, there's a good chance you'll not get caught but if you do then you're going to get a proportionately large punishment by the police and court. Even then, if you get the right lawyer you've a good chance of getting away without too nasty a penalty. HMRC just don't have the staff or backing of the government to deal with evasion properly, if they were given the tools and powers then they might go for individuals and companies that are politically sensitive and that wouldn't do, would it? Far better from a political perspective to give narrow and difficult to use powers than broad-brush ones.

I think that the tax laws are written the wrong way round. They tend to concentrate on specific items then leave it up to the courts to decide if a particular scheme is caught. They could fix it with a simple law that says there's a presumption that if you live in the UK and earn in the UK then you pay tax in the UK on your entire taxable estate, if you wish to offshore any income you make in a tax year then you need prior approval from HMRC. Same with earned income through a UK based company, it should be subject to standard corporate taxation then personal taxation, where appropriate, unless you have an exemption. It would certainly lead to interesting discussions down the local tax office:

Scenario 1:
              Contractor: "I want to route my earnings through an IoM company who then pay me back through a tax scheme I don't really understand."
              HMRC: "Please explain the business logic behind this and why we should allow it"
              Contractor: "erm, I want to pay less tax. Ah, no, they said to say that was a legally approved HMRC valid scheme and you'd sign off on it as good practice"
              HMRC: "Permission denied. Next!"

Scenario 2:
              Contractor: "I want to earn my money through a company who then pay me a trivial amount back as legitimate income but give me lots of big loans that coincidentally come to about 90% of my earned money and I have no deadline to repay those loans"
              HMRC: "We'll approve it if you sign this document saying that you agree that if you haven't repaid the loans in full in 5 years then we can treat the loans as personal income and retrospectively charge you tax, NI, interest and, at our discretion, penalties. Oh, and please sign this agreement that we can treat this as a secured charge on your home in case you conveniently have no money available to pay the tax at the time."
              Contractor: "Can I get back to you on that?"

Comment

Scenario 3:

Contractor: anything at all, no matter how reasonable
                HMRC: denied!
                Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by craig1 View Post
                  The problem is that it's like speeding at over 100mph, there WAS a good chance you'll not get caught but if you do then you're going to get a proportionately large punishment by the police and court.
                  Being very careful not to reveal current clientco but don't bet on that anymore.

HMRC now can and do check tax returns against savings and expenditure.....
                  merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by LisaContractorUmbrella View Post
                    Read this first: http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/avoidance/tempted.pdf and then look for a decent accountancy firm or umbrella company
                    I'm glad you didn't specify that the umbrella company had to be decent.

Comment

Working...
                    X