• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Crunch accountant or personal one ?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My experience is similar to others here.

The interface is good and probably the only reason I'm still using the service - couldn't find any equivalent solutions without paying a fair bit extra for Freeagent.
    There are some improvements that could be made though such as having the ability to view last year's information, not just the current year.
    It's relatively low cost, though personal tax stuff is extra and the cost has just increased by around 8% so that advantage is reducing.

There's really nothing in the way of active advice - you need to know what you're doing, do your own research and ask direct questions. I shouldn't have to explain an accountancy issue to my accountant!

Haven't had an issue getting timely responses though - it's pretty much always the same day for me, at least from the Account Manager.

Pay your money, take your choice.

Comment

Originally posted by cojak View Post
      So why did you leave Nixon Williams for Crunch? Might it be that Crunch were cheaper?
      I left Nixon Williams because I liked the way I could see and log everything with Crunch web interface. I liked the the fact I could keep track of my taxes due in real time, or so I thought. The price wasn't really the issue as the difference between them isn't huge. As it turns out, what you may gain with one you lose with another. It's a lesson learnt.

Comment

Originally posted by The Codfather View Post
        I left Nixon Williams because I liked the way I could see and log everything with Crunch web interface. I liked the the fact I could keep track of my taxes due in real time, or so I thought. The price wasn't really the issue as the difference between them isn't huge. As it turns out, what you may gain with one you lose with another. It's a lesson learnt.
        For most contractors, price is not the main factor.

In my opinion, service and quality trump price every time.

If you think employing a professional is expensive, wait until you employ an amateur!

I use Nixon Williams and have done for years, and I have no plans to move, I am comfortable with their advice, service and everything that they do for me. Peace of mind is worth paying for.
        "The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance." Cicero

Comment

Originally posted by The Codfather View Post
          I have posted similar things before only to get a reply from Crunch saying they will look into it but they never do to my satisfaction, hence why I am posting this again.
          Hello! I can't see any previous posts from you about us - could you DM me your details? "Codfather" not turning up anything in our CRM

With regards to response times, see my previous reply. Shouldn't happen, but has now and again.

EDIT: Oh, and on the BankBolt point, we don't want to charge you for it any more than you want to be charged for it - the £5.50pm is just how much it costs us to access your accounts securely. Banks being banks etc.

Comment

Originally posted by Smartie View Post
            ... the cost has just increased by around 8% so that advantage is reducing.
            Everything has to go up in price now and again unfortunately, and it was our first price rise in five years!

Comment

Recent opinions?

Hi there, sorry to rehash an old thread but I would really like to know any more recent opinions on this matter.

I am currently with Crunch and a friend is setting up as a contractor and has asked if I would recommend them to him, and am finding myself a bit torn. I love the Crunch software (which took me time to get to grips with, as a novice), and am able to email or call when I need advice, with a quick answer.

My main issue is they seem more reactive than proactive, e.g. when I first set myself up as a contractor, producing my company account but not advising me that I'd not optimised my dividend allowance. I also had an issue with not claiming my full dividend allowance and was told (more than once) that it was too late to claim the allowance for the previous tax year. Upon taking advice from another accountant, I insisted Crunch review my accounts again & was eventually sorted out - but I very almost missed out on 15k of my allowance.

I'm unsure whether these have occurred from my lack of understanding of tax & accountancy (which is why I possibly need to move to a 'real' accountant who will deal with the headache for me), or if others have had similar or better experiences.
              Many thanks
              Beebee

Comment

I've been more than happy with Crunch over the last few years. The portal is extremely easy to use, I like being in control and being able to see my interim accounts at any point over the year. It makes it really clear how much is available in dividends and what is being held back for taxes etc.

There is plenty of information in their help section on tax rates and allowances. I always get a fast response from my account manager and more detailed queries will be passed to an accountant.

However I do think anyone running their own limited company should have a basic knowledge of accounting. At the end of the day directors are signing off accounts regardless of who is preparing them so should have some basic awareness of what they are looking at. The same applies to tax returns - all contractors should be on top of what the new dividend tax regime is this year for example.

Comment

I've just joined from SJD. I like the portal, it's a massive improvement over the spreadsheet, however don't expect them to hold your hand. You should know what is going on with your company.

One small issue is having to deal with multiple people when handling your account. Considering the price and portal, it's a minor issue for me.

Comment

Originally posted by Beebee View Post
                    Hi there, sorry to rehash an old thread but I would really like to know any more recent opinions on this matter.

I am currently with Crunch and a friend is setting up as a contractor and has asked if I would recommend them to him, and am finding myself a bit torn. I love the Crunch software (which took me time to get to grips with, as a novice), and am able to email or call when I need advice, with a quick answer.

My main issue is they seem more reactive than proactive, e.g. when I first set myself up as a contractor, producing my company account but not advising me that I'd not optimised my dividend allowance. I also had an issue with not claiming my full dividend allowance and was told (more than once) that it was too late to claim the allowance for the previous tax year. Upon taking advice from another accountant, I insisted Crunch review my accounts again & was eventually sorted out - but I very almost missed out on 15k of my allowance.

I'm unsure whether these have occurred from my lack of understanding of tax & accountancy (which is why I possibly need to move to a 'real' accountant who will deal with the headache for me), or if others have had similar or better experiences.
                    Many thanks
                    Beebee
                    Sorry, but I think if you expect all that from an accountant then I think you need a bespoke service and not a "one size fits all" deal. Having said that, I would think that had you been a bit more on the ball and asked the appropriate questions at the right time, then there is a very good chance you would have got what you were seeking. Myself, I make it my responsibility to work stuff out for myself and if required, ask the accountant for an opinion.
                    Public Service Posting by the BBC - Bloggs Bulls**t Corp.
                    Officially CUK certified - Thick as f**k.

Comment

Originally posted by Fred Bloggs View Post
                      Sorry, but I think if you expect all that from an accountant then I think you need a bespoke service and not a "one size fits all" deal. Having said that, I would think that had you been a bit more on the ball and asked the appropriate questions at the right time, then there is a very good chance you would have got what you were seeking. Myself, I make it my responsibility to work stuff out for myself and if required, ask the accountant for an opinion.
                      Totally this for me. SJD and Gorilla both sent a mail shot once in awhile reminding about phones, mortgages, meals and the like but that's about as proactive as it got. Gorilla review my FA account quarterly and point out thungs I might have missed which is cool. I wasn't claiming the 4 quid a week for home office at first and they pointed that out but I tend to leave it to a single sum towards the end if year so had it covered but still pretty cool. I think that's the exception though.

What Fred Blogs said really.
                      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Working...
                      X