• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Crunch accountant or personal one ?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by stevieshaker View Post
    My tuppenceworth. Been with crunch for 18 months, as others have said good, Intuitive software, anything standard is dealt with promptly and efficiently, however anything out of the box is a struggle and no tax efficiency advice at all, even last tax year before the divi tax came in.

My biggest and worrying gripe though is that the software made a 'mistake' at year end showing my loan account several thousand overstated, which would have cost me a fair wedge in tax had I not highlighted it -

even then it took two phone calls and an hour of my time to get past the Account Manager who simply couldn't understand what I was saying and basically kept insisting the software had to be right. Only through sheer persistence did I get through to a real accountant who understood and got it sorted. - it was indeed a system generated transaction that had gone wrong.

I'm on the lowest package, good value at £64.50+vat.

In summary, not good enough for me enough to recommend due to issues above, but not bad enough for me to go elsewhere.
    'the software made a 'mistake' at year end showing my loan account several thousand overstated,'

Exactly the same problem that I have been trying to resolve over last couple of months - I'm owed several thou in unreimbursed expenses but my directors load shows as overdrawn ever though I've not taken out any loans or undeclared dividends.

Crunch should be able to cross ref my expenses claims to my reconciled bank accounts to see what reimbursements are still outstanding. As they don't seem to understand that concept, then it looks like I'm going to have to transfer to another accountant that may charge more but doesn't waste my time.

Comment

Originally posted by RustyWire View Post
      'the software made a 'mistake' at year end showing my loan account several thousand overstated,'

Exactly the same problem that I have been trying to resolve over last couple of months - I'm owed several thou in unreimbursed expenses but my directors load shows as overdrawn ever though I've not taken out any loans or undeclared dividends.

Crunch should be able to cross ref my expenses claims to my reconciled bank accounts to see what reimbursements are still outstanding. As they don't seem to understand that concept, then it looks like I'm going to have to transfer to another accountant that may charge more but doesn't waste my time.
      If only they used FreeAgent, eh?
      Public Service Posting by the BBC - Bloggs Bulls**t Corp.
      Officially CUK certified - Thick as f**k.

Comment

Originally posted by Fred Bloggs View Post
        If only they used FreeAgent, eh?
        Crunch tried being software only for a while (about 4 years ago). The sausage factory approach was far more profitable (possibly because they priced their software too cheaply in the first place)..
        merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
          Crunch tried being software only for a while (about 4 years ago). The sausage factory approach was far more profitable (possibly because they priced their software too cheaply in the first place)..
          As I see it, Crunch and others with their own portal solution are simply reinventing the wheel, when a very good contractor focused solution is already available. I would have thought that an accountancy practise rolling out FA would be close to the ultimate one size fits all sausage factory. 99% of contractors aren't so different that a standard FA implementation can't cope with it?

Comment

As I see it, Crunch and others with their own portal solution are simply reinventing the wheel, when a very good contractor focused solution is already available. I would have thought that an accountancy practise rolling out FA would be close to the ultimate one size fits all sausage factory. 99% of contractors aren't so different that a standard FA implementation can't cope with it?
            It's probably unfair to say crunch were reinventing the wheel. When they started off free agent wasn't that great
            merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
              It's probably unfair to say crunch were reinventing the wheel. When they started off free agent wasn't that great
              Not crunch perhaps, but certainly a lot of others. There's a bit of ego involved in having your own app I think, especially when it's going to be difficult to match freeagent or the like.

Comment

I've used Crunch for yours without any issues as have thousands of other happy customers hence why they continue to be a market leader. You can immediately see the impact on your directors account anytime you make record expenses, dividends or make any payments.

I'm quite sure there are individuals who end up in a mess regardless of what package or firm they use.

Anytime I email crunch with an accounting question it is passed onto an accountant to deal with and year end accounts are always reviewed by two accountants before being submitted.

Comment

Crunch and others with their own portal solution are simply reinventing the wheel
                  it's very hard to fold once you're pot committed! [/pokerreference]

Comment

Originally posted by pr1 View Post
                    it's very hard to fold once you're pot committed! [/pokerreference]
                    Quite. Doesn't mean they made a good business decision though. As I see it, FA is close to gaining real critical mass in the industry now. The ability to be able to move all your accounts across to a new FA accountant whenever you want to effectively locks the likes of Crunch out of a huge and growing portion of the market. IMO, of course.

Comment

Edinburgh-based FinTech firm FreeAgent IPOs on AIM, raises £10.7m | Tech City News

Edinburgh-based FinTech company FreeAgent has floated on AIM, raising £10.7m.

Comment

Working...
                      X