• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Share Investment, Discussion & Tips

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Does anyone use CrowdCube? It seems to be a thing for raising funding for startups so much riskier than your standard investment

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
      Does anyone use CrowdCube? It seems to be a thing for raising funding for startups so much riskier than your standard investment
      I've not seen anything there that doesn't scream scam - but that may be only the IT and App ones.

Warmstone Heat Battery - Caldera actually looks like a half decent bet if it's delivering 90% of the electricity used back as heat that's a great deal - but I would need to see it in action first.
      Last edited by eek; 20 May 2021, 09:54.
      merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post

I've not seen anything there that doesn't scream scam - but that may be only the IT and App ones.

Warmstone Heat Battery - Caldera actually looks like a half decent bet if it's delivering 90% of the electricity used back as heat that's a great deal - but I would need to see it in action first.
        City Mapper were using them for a funding round recently. I use the app a lot (well, I did in the before time), so I bunged them a bit of pin money to see what happened. Looking at the rest of the offerings on CrowdCube, I'm just wondering if it's a platform worth using.

It feels a bit like an investment version of Kickstarter. I would probably only use it to back things I've heard of rather than some random company.

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post

City Mapper were using them for a funding round recently. I use the app a lot (well, I did in the before time), so I bunged them a bit of pin money to see what happened. Looking at the rest of the offerings on CrowdCube, I'm just wondering if it's a platform worth using.

It feels a bit like an investment version of Kickstarter. I would probably only use it to back things I've heard of rather than some random company.
          My argument would be the same as yours - only invest in things I would use.

Caldera fits that bill as if I had an oil boiler it's a better option than switching to a heatpump...
          merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by Fred Bloggs View Post
            Afraid I don't think you have any other options if you want to be fully invested. Don't forget, investments in your trading account that pay dividends will count against your annual tax free dividend allowance. Bed and ISA with II saves you one of the buy/sell fees, the buy fee is waived on a bed and ISA transaction. And paying more into your II account won't incur any more fees. Time it correctly to use your free trade allowance.

Now re-reading this cos the funds are coming ......and dont think I said Thank you ... so thank you !

My son is very much into vanguard and low cost funds ... given years doing contracting I would quite like to dabble in a small business venture with a friend who runs some commercial property .... my son is like ... dad ffs ... stick it in the fund and stop trying to be del boy and end up with all your free time being spent fannying about with the other venture !

Comment

Originally posted by CanPayButWouldRatherNot View Post

Now re-reading this cos the funds are coming ......and dont think I said Thank you ... so thank you !

My son is very much into vanguard and low cost funds ... given years doing contracting I would quite like to dabble in a small business venture with a friend who runs some commercial property .... my son is like ... dad ffs ... stick it in the fund and stop trying to be del boy and end up with all your free time being spent fannying about with the other venture !
              Thank you and good luck with your future investments. Always happy to help if I can, as are many others here too.
              Public Service Posting by the BBC - Bloggs Bulls**t Corp.
              Officially CUK certified - Thick as f**k.

Comment

Originally posted by Fred Bloggs View Post

Thank you and good luck with your future investments. Always happy to help if I can, as are many others here too.
                Well I have one question ....

Been doing a bit of checking on our current stack to look at dividend returns (in a retirement scenario that is what we would look to live on)

Now we have mainly have this All world vanguard etf (VWRL)

My sipp was reinvesting the dividend but the ISA wasnt (which was bad) ....but it HAS given me a glimpse at the dividend return for the last year (appreciate it was a funny year last year)

In the ISA this etf (currently valued at ~£85) returned £1.13 annually per etf ... ~1% which has me a bit worried.

I am more comforted by the returns listed here

https://www.morningstar.co.uk/uk/etf...?id=0P0000WAHE

5 year annualised returns = 15.43

But that is driven by the actual price of the etf and not the dividend ...right ?

Last edited by CanPayButWouldRatherNot; 23 June 2021, 07:58.

Comment

Originally posted by CanPayButWouldRatherNot View Post

Well I have one question ....

Been doing a bit of checking on our current stack to look at dividend returns (in a retirement scenario that is what we would look to live on)

Now we have mainly have this All world vanguard etf (VWRL)

My sipp was reinvesting the dividend but the ISA wasnt (which was bad) ....but it HAS given me a glimpse at the dividend return for the last year (appreciate it was a funny year last year)

In the ISA this etf (currently valued at ~£85) returned £1.13 annually per etf ... ~1% which has me a bit worried.

I am more comforted by the returns listed here

https://www.morningstar.co.uk/uk/etf...?id=0P0000WAHE

5 year annualised returns = 15.43

But that is driven by the actual price of the etf and not the dividend ...right ?

I am not 100% sure I understand the question fully.

To understand the pricing of the ETF (or an OEIC) and it's performance over time you need to check you are comparing apples with apples. Sometimes performance figures are quoted with dividends reinvested and sometimes without. Sometimes there are "accumulation" units/shares which reinvest the income generated automatically and don't actually distribute a dividend. Then there's a version of the same fund that does pay the income out rather than reinvest in automatically. Surprise surprise, "income" units.

I think you need to ensure you are comparing like with like when comparing performance over time with funds or shares that have dividends as part of their total return. HTH.

(In this respect income investment trusts are probably easier to understand since they don't have a class of shares that automatically reinvests income. But if you compare performance at places like Hargreaves Lansdown etc.... make certain you are comparing total return for actual return over time).

Comment

Who's a believer in cyclical investment funds? Any suggestions on specific funds (sector or country based) to consider?
                    ‘His body, his mind and his soul are his capital, and his task in life is to invest it favourably to make a profit of himself.’ (Erich Fromm, ‘The Sane Society’, Routledge, 1991, p.138)

Comment

How many other people here have been invited to apply for shares and a bonus from (Transfer)Wise when they start trading their shares on the market?

Comment

Working...
                      X