• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Share Investment, Discussion & Tips

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Fred Bloggs View Post
    Tax sheltered? No. Use your II trading account then bed and ISA each year.

just to be clear in my own head @brillopad will confirm I need help :-)

so when I retire and dont have the funds to fund future isas .. use the funds in the trading account (from the inheritance) and shelter in the isa over a few years (sell a chunk of the trading account and buy into the isa)
    Last edited by CanPayButWouldRatherNot; 21 September 2020, 12:34.

Comment

Originally posted by CanPayButWouldRatherNot View Post
      just to be clear in my own head @brillopad will confirm I need help :-)

so when I retire and dont have the funds to fund future isas .. use the funds in the trading account (from the inheritance) and shelter in the isa over a few years (sell a chunk of the trading account and buy into the isa)
      Afraid I don't think you have any other options if you want to be fully invested. Don't forget, investments in your trading account that pay dividends will count against your annual tax free dividend allowance. Bed and ISA with II saves you one of the buy/sell fees, the buy fee is waived on a bed and ISA transaction. And paying more into your II account won't incur any more fees. Time it correctly to use your free trade allowance.
      Public Service Posting by the BBC - Bloggs Bulls**t Corp.
      Officially CUK certified - Thick as f**k.

Comment

Where would the learned collective invest £10k that they have been unexpectedly gifted? Assume the recipient has no ISAs, no share accounts, too old for a LISA.

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
          Where would the learned collective invest £10k that they have been unexpectedly gifted? Assume the recipient has no ISAs, no share accounts, too old for a LISA.
          I'd get it out of the bank in £50 notes and use it to tip the butler TBH.
          'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

I'd put it in Premium Bonds, a few reasons:

1. It's safe
            2. It's tax free
            3. There's a chance of a large return
            4. You can withdraw it at any time without penalty
            5. Judge it based on those who think it's a bad idea.
            …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post

1. It's safe
              2. It's tax free
              Yes, but no, but...

Yes, there is a chance of a significant win via Premium Bonds, but the average return is really very poor. I had the maximum, at the time, of £30,000 in PI and won roughly £25 per month.

It's safe though, and it give you the chance to move the money into something with a higher rate of return when the time is right.
              ---

Former member of IPSE.

---
              Many a mickle makes a muckle.

---

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post

1. It's safe
                2. It's tax free
                NS&I just nerfed return on premium bonds (and all other products) though. Although that doesnt make your points invalid.

I have a question: Some share platforms (AJ Bell / H&L etc) charge a commission / fee when you buy a share on their platform. Other outfits (Trading 212) claim to not charge a fee. How does the latter make money then? Are they pushing subsciption models or i'm not really getting why the big discrepency? I think the no fee's platforms tend to have less investments to choose from but aside from that whats the diff and why would you not just go with the no fees option?

Cheers!

Comment

Originally posted by bubble99 View Post
                  NS&I just nerfed return on premium bonds (and all other products) though. Although that doesnt make your points invalid.
                  Ouch, I see what you mean

NS&I to slash savings rates and Premium Bonds prizes | Money | The Guardian

Comment

I am a very poor source of recommendation for you. For what it's worth, I advise avoiding UK investments and focus on global investments with an emphasis on North America and Asia. Good luck.
                    Public Service Posting by the BBC - Bloggs Bulls**t Corp.
                    Officially CUK certified - Thick as f**k.

Comment

Ask yourself.. what would scooterscot do?

Then do the opposite.
                      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Working...
                      X