• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Share Investment, Discussion & Tips

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
    How are they compared to three months ago?

In this world there are two types of investors, those looking for a quick return (I am talking under two years) or those in for the long haul, I am no where near good enough to be in it short term (care to share any of your losses with us rather than just your wins?). I read an interesting article that due to HFT the average length a stock is held these days is in the seconds, leveraging large amounts for minute gains, the big boys are much better at it than most, so I will keep to the slow and steady route.
    HUR? They're about 50% of that level. Hence the bargain basement given all that has happened since. I'm not spelling this out. If you want to make some cash you need to at least DYOR.

Regarding losses? Sure, plenty (remember Marconi? Bloomberg "this is company that is not going to fail" a few days before it did!) but that was a long time ago and now I am VERY picky what I buy. 90% plus of my portfolio is in very steady unit trusts/OEICs but again, very carefully selected. Presently, I'm about 35 to 40% in cash. Just to add, I am little bit down on HUR presently, got in a day or two too early, but I bought more anyway. Given the impending upside, it's small beer.
    Last edited by Fred Bloggs; 7 August 2017, 07:57.
    Public Service Posting by the BBC - Bloggs Bulls**t Corp.
    Officially CUK certified - Thick as f**k.

Comment

Originally posted by Fred Bloggs View Post
      HUR? They're about 50% of that level. Hence the bargain basement given all that has happened since. I'm not spelling this out. If you want to make some cash you need to at least DYOR.

Regarding losses? Sure, plenty (remember Marconi? Bloomberg "this is company that is not going to fail" a few days before it did!) but that was a long time ago and now I am VERY picky what I buy. 90% plus of my portfolio is in very steady unit trusts/OEICs but again, very carefully selected. Presently, I'm about 35 to 40% in cash. Just to add, I am little bit down on HUR presently, got in a day or two too early, but I bought more anyway. Given the impending upside, it's small beer.
      I must be reading this wrong, but how can 90% of your portfolio be in "very steady unit trusts/OEICs" and 35-40% in cash? Or do you mean 90% of the remaining 60-65%.

So what is your long term strategy, how long have you got till you retire/start drawing down?
      Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
      I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

I must be reading this wrong, but how can 90% of your portfolio be in "very steady unit trusts/OEICs" and 35-40% in cash? Or do you mean 90% of the remaining 60-65%.

So what is your long term strategy, how long have you got till you retire/start drawing down?
        Yes, that's correct.

I can retire anytime I want to but presently, working is so profitable and so much like a paid vacation I simply don't want to quit.

I don't need my savings to live on. I have deferred final salary pension plus state pension that will be enough. My long term strategy is to continue to do what I do until I don't want to any more. In the meantime I will help the kids as much as I can. They won't be as lucky as I have been.

Comment

Well, after announcing a USD 2 billion contract win a week ago, one week later, PFC shares took a drubbing on Friday. What changed? PFC still have the USD 2 billion contract? Yes they do. Is this still the same business that a short while ago was worth approx 2x as much and a little longer ago 3x as much? Yes it is. Will the SFO investigation damage the core business? Unlikely. I'm sitting on my hands but another move downward will see me topping up on PFC. Should be a nice divi on it's way very soon too, icing on the cake. DYOR, naturally.

Comment

Originally posted by Fred Bloggs View Post
            Well, after announcing a USD 2 billion contract win a week ago, one week later, PFC shares took a drubbing on Friday. What changed? PFC still have the USD 2 billion contract? Yes they do. Is this still the same business that a short while ago was worth approx 2x as much and a little longer ago 3x as much? Yes it is. Will the SFO investigation damage the core business? Unlikely. I'm sitting on my hands but another move downward will see me topping up on PFC. Should be a nice divi on it's way very soon too, icing on the cake. DYOR, naturally.
            So why assume the drop was out of the ordinary, and not the more logical answer that the bump after announcing the contract was inflated?

I would imagine you could make a lot of money on this share (and I hope you do), looking at the dividend history it's pretty consistent, so depending on where you bought the stock it could be a nice return without the share price having to change.

However another 10% loss (which given the last few months of volatility isn't out of the question) that would wipe almost all the potential dividend out, and there is no certainty that past dividends will continue looking at the dividend cover, a falling share price and a 11% dividend is unsustainable.
            Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
            I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

So why assume the drop was out of the ordinary, and not the more logical answer that the bump after announcing the contract was inflated?

I would imagine you could make a lot of money on this share (and I hope you do), looking at the dividend history it's pretty consistent, so depending on where you bought the stock it could be a nice return without the share price having to change.

However another 10% loss (which given the last few months of volatility isn't out of the question) that would wipe almost all the potential dividend out, and there is no certainty that past dividends will continue looking at the dividend cover, a falling share price and a 11% dividend is unsustainable.
              Thanks, interesting thoughts. Given recent history, I think the 10% drop was a shake of the tree to stop out some holders. It's going to be very volatile but on a 3 to 5 year view there is a LOT of potential in PFC. The recent big win reinforces the fact that despite to SFO actions, in their core market they remain a very respected name. It's BAU at PFC. I haven't topped up having bought in well sub 400p but I might do so if the opportunity arises.

Comment

Sell TalkTalk

http://forums.contractoruk.com/gener...talk-talk.html

Comment

Well, after some turbulence which saw me top up Petrofac at 400p, we're now back on the upwards trajectory (445p last night). A reduced div, but still worth >7.5% for me is a nice bonus. Still plenty of upside in this and you can still buy in before the stock goes ex-divi. Two more terrific contract wins in Turkey and Russia in the last few days means PFC have added > USD 2 billion to their swollen order book in the last couple of weeks. Looking a nice little medium term buy and hold and perhaps a juicy take over target too for a competitor to snap up.

Who topped up on UK Oil and Gas? I was stopped out on this one and bought back in again at a lower level, we're resuming a nice upward trend now, but it could blow the doors off in the next few weeks. Looking more expensive than it was, but still a bargain with plenty of upside to come.

And...... very similar to UK Oil and Gas, I bought a stake in Angus Petroleum as the shares drifted lower on lack of news. We're showing a nice little 20% gain since buying in a couple of days ago. Probably put a stop loss on this to lock in the gains short term.

Hurricane Energy? Still drifting around in the doldrums awaiting more news on the early production system FPSO. The same story is still in place, I bought in a few weeks early, and topped up at a lower level. But it is now a screaming bargain as the FPSO is 100% funded.

DYOR before you jump in!

Comment

Wondering if most are investing company or personal money?.

Bonds on company liquid funds are so pitiful nowadays that its almost not worth the agro of opening multiple bank accounts.

I use iii for personally, so was wondering what trading platforms are available/best ltd co

Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by css_jay99 View Post
                      Wondering if most are investing company or personal money?.

Bonds on company liquid funds are so pitiful nowadays that its almost not worth the agro of opening multiple bank accounts.

I use iii for personally, so was wondering what trading platforms are available/best ltd co

Thanks
                      For me, strictly personal only, I no longer have a MyCo Ltd. Yes, I too use II for my SIPP and ISA and very good it is too, at a bargain basement price.

Comment

Working...
                      X